15% OFF AU$46.74 Inkbird ITC-308S (AU PLUG)Pre-wired Digital Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a quick look into the InkBird domain, it is based in China.

I think it is fair to understand if people think they are buying from an Australian retailer, are buying products they believe are meeting Australian Electrical Safety Requirements, and are supporting a forum sponsor who offers orgasmic give aways. I'm happy to be wrong, but maybe ebay has simply come to us, rather than us to it.

Domain Name: INK-BIRD.COM
Registrar: HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 420
Whois Server: grs-whois.hichina.com
Referral URL: http://www.net.cn
Name Server: DNS1.SUPREMEDNS.COM
Name Server: DNS2.SUPREMEDNS.COM
Updated Date: 29-sep-2015
Creation Date: 24-sep-2014
Expiration Date: 24-sep-2016

or people are totally fine with it, have a great product and don't care.... I'm cool with that too.

But none of us should allow electrical safety questions go unanswered, and certainly not dismissed.

Cosdog.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Having a quick look into the InkBird domain, it is based in China.

I think it is fair to understand if people think they are buying from an Australian retailer, are buying products they believe are meeting Australian Electrical Safety Requirements, and are supporting a forum sponsor who offers orgasmic give aways. I'm happy to be wrong, but maybe ebay has simply come to us, rather than us to it.
its pretty much a 100% guarantee that any electrical item purchased from overseas, or in this case a local place selling parts straight from China, will never come with the applicable Australian standards tick of approval.

(But we also shouldn't assume a standards tick makes something safe)

To me its more of a concern that if your house burns down due to an electrical fault and that fault can be traced back to a product that does not conform to Australian Standards that your insurer could wipe any claim that you put in like a dirty bum. A Standards tick might not make it safe but it should be enough for you to be able to rebuild.

SBOB said:
i.....or in this case a local place selling parts straight from China,

(But we also shouldn't assume a standards tick makes something safe)
Is it though mate? Are people receiving a tax invoice with an ABN?

If no, you punctuated the point of this!

LAGERFRENZY said:
To me its more of a concern that if your house burns down due to an electrical fault and that fault can be traced back to a product that does not conform to Australian Standards that your insurer could wipe any claim that you put in like a dirty bum. A Standards tick might not make it safe but it should be enough for you to be able to rebuild.
Solid, but I will try my best at this moment to intercept that to keep looking at the seller.

Do people believe they are buying from an Australian seller?

Is this forum sponsor an Australian business?

Are these products certified to be sold in Australia and consequently do they meet Australian safety requirements?

I just think this is necessary knowledge before lagerfrenzy's point comes into play and should then be called out from the rooftops!

Last time I was partially involved in getting the tick mark for a product, the process was self-certification. An abbreviated version is like this:

* Ask Chinese manufacturer to provide evidence that shows that product complies with Australian standards.
* Register a tick mark number against an ABN.
* Place documentation from Chinese manufacturer on file (no need to send it anywhere).
* Get Chinese manufacturer to print (stick) the tickmark logo with rego number on the product.

Bottom line, process requires an ABN so that there is someone to sue if bad juju happens. Said ABN assumes all risk, but is allowed to self-certify. You could get the product tested in Australia by an independent lab, but that process is so horrendously expensive that inexpensive commodity products will never go through that. A better option is to get the manufacturer in China to do that, since they can use much of the same data they have for other markets, such as US, UK & Europe.

I have also looked at this they are indeed a Chinese manufacturer, noticing that on Alibaba there are also similar products cheaper, but this could also be an Aussie importer retailing the product as with any imported product, any defects is borne by the importer as liability falls on them due to the difficulties taking a Chinese exporter to court under Australian law.

peteru said:
Last time I was partially involved in getting the tick mark for a product, the process was self-certification. An abbreviated version is like this:

* Ask Chinese manufacturer to provide evidence that shows that product complies with Australian standards.
* Register a tick mark number against an ABN.
* Place documentation from Chinese manufacturer on file (no need to send it anywhere).
* Get Chinese manufacturer to print (stick) the tickmark logo with rego number on the product.

Bottom line, process requires an ABN so that there is someone to sue if bad juju happens. Said ABN assumes all risk, but is allowed to self-certify. You could get the product tested in Australia by an independent lab, but that process is so horrendously expensive that inexpensive commodity products will never go through that. A better option is to get the manufacturer in China to do that, since they can use much of the same data they have for other markets, such as US, UK & Europe.
C-Tick is no longer current. The new certification is called RCM, I believe.

In-laws gifted me an old 120L freezer that I am in the process of converting. It's a bit small so I have to build an extension, but will need a controller soon...

Any feedback on how well these Inkbird controllers work?

Latest posts

Back