Beerkat - Kegs & Growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Is there a piece missing, should be like this
WEAL - this was already covered by Beerkat on page 6. Posts #114 (my question 4) and #116 (Beerkats answer). But last night when I put it together, I forgot that I have one way valves on their way from Beerkat. That will change things anyway, so not so critical for me at the moment, but it would be good to have some advice for those that get them without a one way valve. It would be a right PITA if by having them upside down, or at odd angles, either the regulator got stuffed or it was fiddly to operate.

Liam_snorkel said:
All good. They had fittings but I removed them because the resting position on the gas disconnect when tightened was upside down. So I replaced with these ones that rotate freely

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489088585.334599.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1489088617.204596.jpg
FYI - we are able to get the regulator's with gauges on the opposite side for future reference if anyone requires them.

Coalminer said:
Anybody have any idea what the thread is inside the head unit that the silicon hose connects to.
Am looking at making up S/S dip tubes
Great idea Coalminer,

Are you referring to the thread with the nut and lock washer on the spear?

Graham

Jack of all biers said:
WEAL - this was already covered by Beerkat on page 6. Posts #114 (my question 4) and #116 (Beerkats answer). But last night when I put it together, I forgot that I have one way valves on their way from Beerkat. That will change things anyway, so not so critical for me at the moment, but it would be good to have some advice for those that get them without a one way valve. It would be a right PITA if by having them upside down, or at odd angles, either the regulator got stuffed or it was fiddly to operate.
Hey Guys,

The regulators should all be in the upright position. Previous supplied regulators contained the swivel fitting, however all our supplies now contain the inlet 1/8 NPT - 7/16 20 UNF fittings. if there is misalignment with the regulator gauge and bulb, I would suggest a quarter to half turn to straighten it out, the the required position. If you require more than this to achieve the required position let me know. I am happy to send out the older style fittings if required. I will however have to order them in. Our supplier has been using these current fitting for the past 6 months.

The one way check valve is also 1/8 NPT - 7/16 20 UNF, the thread will be clean so will require some pipe tape to assemble. These will also potentially have minor misalignment. Just keep in mind the body on the regulator is aluminium so i would suggest not to over tighten the threads.

Any issues guys let us know and we will look at the best possible solution.

Happy to call anyone for advice if required just PM us

Cheers

Graham

damoninja said:
Got the straight type 30 to 5/8" the other day, doesn't give me anywhere near the clearance I need but it'll still get used at some point, basically makes the mini reg able to be used in any application now!
Hey Damoninja,

We ordered in two different style threads, the other is 0.2mm larger diameter, just curious as to how the thread went on your gas. Was it tight fitting or went on un restricted. Your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers mate

Graham

Gents,

We really appreciate your feedback with your gear, this will help us improve any future orders.
I am happy to call anyone for technical assistance if required.

Cheers

Graham

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
Hey Guys,

The regulators should all be in the upright position.

if there is misalignment with the regulator gauge and bulb, I would suggest a quarter to half turn to straighten it out, the the required position.

The one way check valve is also 1/8 NPT - 7/16 20 UNF, the thread will be clean so will require some pipe tape to assemble. These will also potentially have minor misalignment. Just keep in mind the body on the regulator is aluminium so i would suggest not to over tighten the threads.
Thanks Graham. Not wanting to damage the regulator is exactly why I asked, so your answer is much appreciated. You guys have been really good with contact and advise, it is really appreciated.

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
Sorry Coalminor will get this for you this afternoon cheers mate
Graham
WOW! Mission hahah, always the way when you think something will be easy, it comes back and slaps ya hard.

Spear thread is
M8 / 1.25
top thread is
M12 / 1

Sorry for the delay

Have set the regulator gauge up for testing. Connected non return valve and a gas disconnect to the gauge and a 16g co2 bulb. Gauge is sensitive to pressure movement when setting pressures but expected. Had held 15psi without movement for 24 hours, now set at 10 psi. Impressive so far.

Just a bit of feedback on the taps and other chrome plated parts and a warning to other newbs to keging I guess. I got my regulators all set up fine with the one way valves and all good. I ran some Starsan (at 1.5ml/L dosage) through the kegs and taps to sanitise prior to filling the following day. In between I pressure tested the units over 24hr and the pressure seemed to hold, which was fine, but I left the taps on the kegs and didn't pull off and rinse.

I noticed though when I took the ball valve tap apart to dry (after 24hr left on the keg) that the internal part of the chrome plated part between the disconnect and the tap had some blacking (surface corrosion type staining?) on it with some brass? showing through. This must be from the pooling of the Starsan as it was only on the bottom side (internal). I pulled apart the tap and found similar minor staining on the internals of the tap body where the valve part fits tightly in the tap body itself. Again this is where liquid would gather and not run away, so I guess I have allowed the acid to eat away at the chrome platting? All the stainless parts of the tap were unblemished so all good. The staining is minor, so no real issue.

Let my mistake be a lessen to others I guess and don't leave the chrome parts in contact with an acid sanitiser, even at the recommended dosage. My second mini keg is still in the cross bar configuration, so the tap has to stay on while the beer carbonates, so hopefully not too much damage is done.

EDIT - managed to get my photos from phone to computer (was a saga)

Oval mark inside tap around the two drip holes (looks like a water mark in the photo, but doesn't polish up)
DSC_2864.JPG

tap/disconnect connector which prior to 24hr Starsan treatment was all shiny chrome
DSC_2865.JPG

better view of the brass? (looks more a copper colour)
DSC_2866.JPG

and this is the un-sanitised connector, although I see it also has a spot that was not factory chromed (also appears to be copper colour?)
DSC_2867.JPG

I've seen the same thing on my cheapy chrome taps. Over time they'll even get it just from beer, it takes quite a while but eventually happens.

Now I only hit them with star san right before I'm ready to dispense from them so I can flush with product.

Yeah.... Chrome and acid mixed together over time, who would have thought :unsure: :ph34r: Kicked myself when I realised what I'd done. Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn't it. Oh well, won't effect the :chug:

Back