Beerkat - Kegs & Growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grott said:
Have set the regulator gauge up for testing. Connected non return valve and a gas disconnect to the gauge and a 16g co2 bulb. Gauge is sensitive to pressure movement when setting pressures but expected. Had held 15psi without movement for 24 hours, now set at 10 psi. Impressive so far.
14 days have passed, gauge has not moved off 10psi and no loss of gas from bulb. Will use soon on a mini keg.

Hmmm, that's 2 magnets stuck to my 1.89L keg.

20170401_115250.jpg

Probably need some context around your post Brad. Are you relating this to this thread where issues surrounding mini kegs (mostly from another bulk buy) are coming to light?

Jack of all biers said:
Probably need some context around your post Brad. Are you relating this to this thread where issues surrounding mini kegs (mostly from another bulk buy) are coming to light?
Yes it is. But this is more relative thread to air my concerns.

bradsbrew said:
Hmmm, that's 2 magnets stuck to my 1.89L keg.
Interestingly Brad a magnet also sticks to my 1.89L keg ( I Kegger brand) But not to any of my 5L kegs (Beer Can ones)

Batz said:
Interestingly Brad a magnet also sticks to my 1.89L keg ( I Kegger brand) But not to any of my 5L kegs (Beer Can ones)
Same here, Batz, the magnet won't stick to the beerkat 5L. The puzzling thing is, each beer that has been left in the 5L has turned to shit (lagerish type beer). And the beer i have left in the 1.89 has been fine after a couple of days. (Ipa type beer).

Batz said:
bradsbrew said:
Same here, Batz, the magnet won't stick to the beerkat 5L. The puzzling thing is, each beer that has been left in the 5L has turned to shit (lagerish type beer). And the beer i have left in the 1.89 has been fine after a couple of days. (Ipa type beer).
Interesting. Just tested a magnet with my 2 x 5L and no stick. Tested it against my 2 x Cornies and no stick although one had a slight stick and instead of falling away, it slid down the outside. Tested against my SS fridge door, stick like one would expect. Tested against my 304 SS font, no stick. Tested against my kettle (old 80L SS keg from the 80's) no stick. Against some 316 SS parts and slight stick, but still fell away.

When you say the beer turned to shit in the 5L, are you having the same black residue and metallic taste as some of the others? I am still convinced this is more about not properly cleaned welds and poor QC than the actual quality of the SS used in the bodies, although, why oh why are the 1.8L sticking as you and Batz have found.

EDIT - Post #789 from the other thread from LC basically says that 300 SS's can appear to be magnetic depending on how they are worked (he mentions cold worked, which I don't know what he means, but given he works with the stuff for a living then I'm going to assume he knows what he is saying)

bradsbrew said:
Yes it is. But this is more relative thread to air my concerns.
Hi Guys thanks for your messages and advising of the concerns. Zorco has added us to the pm so we can access the spreadsheet to see how many are affected and assist with any issues. We have made contact with our supplier and are working with them to find a solution.

Should I add you to the PM Brad? any photos / videos of the problem can be pooled to support both retailers.

I used to always believe the view Bradsbrew put forward that true Stainless was not magnetic..

So I started magnetically 'feeling up' my ex lab bench which was first grade and not para and ferromagnetic.

UNTIL I FELT THE FOLDS OF METAL UNDERNEATH.

You, a fool to bet against Lyrebirdcycles... but at the folds where the metal has been shaped (folded back on itself) to have no sharp edges it IS MAGNETIC.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1491127518.474022.jpg

When I used to sell fridges, I was told to say to customers that a magnetic layer was added so fridge magnets would work on their new $1000 fisher and paykel fridge.

And I found a paper on google scholar to agree again.

They say wisdom is knowing you don't know.

I'm the best.

Zorco said:
They say wisdoms is knowing you don't know.

I'm the best.
We all learn, all the time. That's what I'm taking out of it too. It makes sense that the 1.8L kegs are magnetic and the 5L not as they would have to be bent a fair bit more to get the steel into the smaller shape.

Nah i am still not buying it. Yes i get the magnetising during working etc, Why aren't the top rolls on the handle section magnetic, they would have been worked more?

bradsbrew said:
Nah i am still not buying it. Yes i get the magnetising during working etc, Why aren't the top rolls on the handle section magnetic, they would have been worked more?
Not selling. But manipulation of Stainless changes its magnetic properties.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924013604009082

You're doing that simple empirical judgement phase of changing your world view.

Doubt is ideal. But evidence is all that matters.

I just tested my mini 5 ltrs from bulk buy 2 using a very strong magnet I use in the electrical trade to find steel plates through gyprock and timber walls.

My kegs have no magnetic on the side walls or top cone. They are slightly and I mean slightly magnetic on top rolls off the top section for the handles, the strong magnet I use basically will jump out of your hand if put near a car door or fridge and needs to be yanked hard to detach it,the spun ball lock head is very magnetic, and the base curved up section is slightly magnetic. Slightly where the magnet won't hold it's own weight but will give you a slight magnetised sensation . If ya know what I mean.
Edit=
I just tested this magnetic which weighs 125 grams with handle and is the size of a matchbox against my perlic full stainless taps, sticks no issues and holds it weight. Nossel and tap body, it doesn't jump out of your hand like if you put it next to a fridge or car door but placed on the stainless taps will hold itself.
I tested it on my andale stainless font I got off Batz , very slight magnetic attraction similar to the mini kegs folded roll or base,
I've learned something today....
Cheers

Zorco said:
Not selling. But manipulation of Stainless changes its magnetic properties.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924013604009082

You're doing that simple empirical judgement phase of changing your world view.

Doubt is ideal. But evidence is all that matters.
I do get what your saying and have learnt, but I am talking about the whole unit being magnetic, apart from the handle piece that has the top roll which is not magnetic. And I am using a cheap weak fridge magnet that struggles to hold a few sheets on the fridge when the wind blows through. Even the kitchen sink was only slightly magnetic on the corner rolls and the flats are non magnetic.

Bugger me I'm gone for a weekend - some back tracking to do

The steel lattice could happen to end up in a particular configuration that aligns the flux stronger in one direction than another with a much higher gauss on one side than another, even some spots greater than another. It's possible that on the 5L kegs the flux is pointing inwards and outwards on the 1.89L

Look up Halbach array, it's the reason your fridge magnet is magnetic on one side and not the other, and seems to have "bumps" in the magnetic field.

Same thing could occur incidentally.

There are companies now that can "print" patterns magnetic patterns by exploiting these properties

There are companies now that can "print" patterns with magnets

Hi guys, just giving you an update in regards a couple of queries regarding metallic taste and residue inside 5L kegs. Our manufacturers were closed for a holiday and are still undertaking testing and will hopefully have some more feedback shortly. The initial thoughts are it may be one batch that was affected as purchases were around the same time but this has not been confirmed and we are looking into this further. We are also undertaking our own internal testing as this is not something that we have had issues with in the past. We will let you know as soon as we have further feedback.

At this stage we have only been advised that 3 customers (4 kegs) have noticed either a metallic taste or residue. Please let us know if you haven't already, if you are concerned about your keg so we can assist.

On a different tangent Beerkat - are you guys looking to stock the 10L "mini" kegs like those sold here? Faults aside (and maybe after all this is sorted out) I reckon a fair few people would get on board, seeing as they would assumedly take the same fittings as their smaller counterparts.

mtb said:
On a different tangent Beerkat - are you guys looking to stock the 10L "mini" kegs like those sold here? Faults aside (and maybe after all this is sorted out) I reckon a fair few people would get on board, seeing as they would assumedly take the same fittings as their smaller counterparts.
For the price point, a brand new 9, 10 or 12L corny would come in a lot cheaper by the time you factor in the spear etc... a more convenient size in some cases perhaps.

Though the ikegger prices are pretty inflated so I'm sure BK can do it better, then coupled with existing kit might be worth while -_- -_-

damoninja said:
For the price point, a brand new 9, 10 or 12L corny would come in a lot cheaper by the time you factor in the spear etc... a more convenient size in some cases perhaps.

Though the ikegger prices are pretty inflated so I'm sire BK can do it better, then coupled with existing kit might be worth while -_- -_-
Yeah agreed on all points, it's just the width of these kegs that makes them attractive (fits in a standard, non-buggered-with fridge). That, and using existing kit, would make for a nice cheap solution.

Back