'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just playing with that and the bulk priming calc seems a little on the low side? I was rushed, so I will have a more thorough look later.

Also am I just missing it or does it not provide an ABV%? Just high medium low guesstimates?

EDIT: Sorry should say thanks for the amazing details and effort you put into the spreadsheet - top job.

The sucrose was a little low in the previous version but should now be correct in version 2.0 uploaded yesterday.

Provides % abv and the high, good and low basically just tells you how the recipe compares with the BJCP guidelines. I do a lot of my recipes mid strength so I tend to be on the low side for most styles.

Was looking at putting this down,

1 x can Coopers Canadian Blone
1 x Can Coopers bitter
250g dried corn syrup
Nothing else

Thinking that this may or may not be too bitter

Any suggestions on addiing malt to counteract bitterness????

Was looking at putting this down,

1 x can Coopers Canadian Blone
1 x Can Coopers bitter
250g dried corn syrup
Nothing else

Thinking that this may or may not be too bitter

Any suggestions on addiing malt to counteract bitterness????

Drop the corn syrup, go with 250gms of LDME. Better mouth feel, more body and a balanced sweetness.

so revised brew
1x Coopers lager (came with the kit)
1x Home brand lager
250g of LDME
12g of Hallertau hops steeped for 15 mins
and 2x 11.5g SAFLAGER S-23
and maybe dry hopping once primary has finished for aroma
will think about what to prime with but im leading towards dextroses.

okay this has changed again....lol

1x Coopers lager (came with the kit)
1x Home brand lager
500gm LDME
250gm dextrose
250gm maltodextrine
15gm cascade hop teabag steeped for 15mins

and another used to dry hop once fermentation has finished.

i didn't pick up the SAFlager, but i was wonder wether the standard kit yeast would be okay. if not i'll grab a SAFlager S-23 on saturday.

Just logging a toucan review: the Big Burper round the corner from me did up a toucan of Coopers Stout, Coopers Dark and a kilo of dex and it's now kegged, tried a jug or three on Monday and it was extremely successful. From what I can remember :blink:

Just logging a toucan review: the Big Burper round the corner from me did up a toucan of Coopers Stout, Coopers Dark and a kilo of dex and it's now kegged, tried a jug or three on Monday and it was extremely successful. From what I can remember :blink:

I just tasted my toucan of Stout, Dark with 500gms LDME and 300gms Choc Malt last night, US-04 yeast. It was :icon_drool2:

The Best Toucan I have ever done, by a mile.

Mine was Coopers Stout, Coopers Dark, 300g dex, teabag of fuggles steeped and added, and S-O4.
Huge disaster.. I made the mistake of inviting a couple of friends for a session, and it was so popular they drained the keg on me.
It's a top drop.

FIRST TOUCAN
After reading this thread a fwe times, just had to have a go.

Put this down today, 1/2 hour ago

Coopers Toucan.

1 x Canadian blonde.
1 x Real Ale
250g LDME

2litres to the boil, added malt to disolve, then added the cans of goop brought to the boil and flame off.
All into the fermenter using filtered water to 23L and pitched in 1 kit yeast @27C. OG 1058.

Intend to rack @ ferment finish, for two or three days, then keg, and bottle whats left.

Thanks to Interloper for the reply to my first recipe thought, could not find a bitter so went with the Real Ale.

Hope to have a taste report in about four weeks. :)

Got my first toucan bubbling away now for 5 days. Scored a freebie Morgans pilsner ( exp. passed by a few months ) and a fresh Coopers stout to cope/mask any dodgy taste from the pilsner. 300 dex and 15 grms galaxy for 10 mins to add a bit of zing to it and 300 grms carapils. Yeast trub from a coopers bitter, generation four.

It will be my first stout, never had a 'dark' beer apart from Guinness so it's all new to me. Will report when drinking in four or so weeks. Will be different from my hoppy hoppy APA's :eek:

FIRST TOUCAN
After reading this thread a fwe times, just had to have a go.

Coopers Toucan.

1 x Canadian blonde.
1 x Real Ale
250g LDME

2litres to the boil, added malt to disolve, then added the cans of goop brought to the boil and flame off.
All into the fermenter using filtered water to 23L and pitched in 1 kit yeast @27C. OG 1058.

Intend to rack @ ferment finish, for two or three days, then keg, and bottle whats left.

Thanks to Interloper for the reply to my first recipe thought, could not find a bitter so went with the Real Ale.

Real ale is quite a darkish bitter beer so it should totally overshadow the fairly bland Canadian Blonde. However the C.B. will contribute body and smoothness to the brew so it's a good match because they won't be fighting it out and should complement each other well. With the LDME touch you should end up with a smooth malty brew. Kit yeast should be fine here, I often use spare Coopers yeasts for darker ales and it does a good clean job.

Real ale is quite a darkish bitter beer so it should totally overshadow the fairly bland Canadian Blonde. However the C.B. will contribute body and smoothness to the brew so it's a good match because they won't be fighting it out and should complement each other well. With the LDME touch you should end up with a smooth malty brew. Kit yeast should be fine here, I often use spare Coopers yeasts for darker ales and it does a good clean job.
Cheers BribieG,
Having only 1 of the coopers kit yeast pitched in, didn't expect the airlock to bubble overand there was about 50ml of liquid on top of the fermenter lid which was cleaned of and now seems to be back to normal at a temp of 23C.
Am starting to salivate at thought of tasting this, as are my local drop ins.. ;)

Been a while since the last toucan, so this is a good way to get rid of 2x 1/2 price cans
Didn't think too much on this recipe, I just went with the flow.
Just waiting for the temp to drop, and I'll pitch in the morning.
Frankenstein Brown Toucan
Tooheys Real Ale
Wanders Draught
500g LDME
30g Caramunich 1 (40min steep)
30g CaraAroma (40min steep)
40g Amber Malt (40min steep)
20g Cascade (40min steep)
10g Cascade @ 0min
WLP 029 German Ale/Kolsch + Morgans Lager yeast
OG = 1060
Mine seems to have stalled at 1024. Been almost 3 weeks now. Any comments?
Probably finished, seeing as it was only a 21L batch, but thought I'd put it out there.

okay next toucan i'm beginning to line up and looking for peoples input into my recipe

im looking at making a beer similar to Coopers Extra Stout (i had on on sunday morning with my bacon and eggs and thought.....hhhmm delicious)

would the following give me something reasonably close to that or am I on the wrong track?.

2x Cans cooper stout (or would it be better to use 1 can stout & 1 can dark ale)
500gm - 1kg DDME
250gm to 500gm Dex

i haven't considered hops as i believe the cans are relatively hoppy anyway and the cans of stout are 710IBU if the helps

Final volume would be 21 Litres and i would look at using US05 (open to suggestions)

okay next toucan i'm beginning to line up and looking for peoples input into my recipe

im looking at making a beer similar to Coopers Extra Stout (i had on on sunday morning with my bacon and eggs and thought.....hhhmm delicious)

would the following give me something reasonably close to that or am I on the wrong track?.

2x Cans cooper stout (or would it be better to use 1 can stout & 1 can dark ale)
500gm - 1kg DDME
250gm to 500gm Dex

i haven't considered hops as i believe the cans are relatively hoppy anyway and the cans of stout are 710IBU if the helps

Final volume would be 21 Litres and i would look at using US05 (open to suggestions)

I'm going to do my regular winter toucan this evening and it comes out around 8% ABV or maybe a tad more:

2 Coopers Stout
1kg LDME
1kg DEX
20g fuggles boiled for 10 mins for some flavour and aroma

25 litres batch

Nottingham ale yeast and ferment coolish, around 18 degrees.

Coopers commercial extra stout is under 7 percent, I'd probably go 500 LDME and 500 DEX otherwise you would be making a headbanger. Nottingham is a great yeast for this stout as it chews through the fermentables quite quickly and I had great results with it in the two toucans I made last winter. I like a bit of aroma hop in a stout but not essential. I find that the above recipe is very drinkable indeed after only three weeks in the bottle but gets really nice after two months. After that I don't know because it didn't last that long :beerbang: BTW as I posted above I've tried my buddy's toucan with the stout plus dark ale and it was nice but a bit drier to my taste.

FIRST TOUCAN
After reading this thread a few times, just had to have a go.

Coopers Toucan.

1 x Canadian blonde.
1 x Real Ale
250g LDME

Here's a report!

Well it's not quite been four weeks, but this brew has been in the keg for four days and am trying a glass of it now.
FG was 1012 which if I've got it right works out at around 6%.
The taste is good with no fruity flavours, the bitterness of a 4X but with much more body to it.
Would consider making this again, next time with 500g dex and 500g dark malt. (Dry)
:beer: Cheers, Ivan.

My only toucan i've done was also my best kit beer, by a long way too.

1 Coopers Heritage Lager
1 Coopers European Lager
1 kg Light DME
Both kit yeasts
Topped to 23 Litres
16 degree ferment
Came out 7.2% and very drinkable

A toucan that I did a little while ago is as follows...

- 2 x Toohey's Real Ale Kits ($7 ea on special at Coles :beerbang: )
- 500g LDME
- Fermentis S-33 yeast

While I calc'd this beer at about 5% ABV based on the OG and FG readings, this beer is BIG! :party: :icon_drunk: If I could describe the taste, it would be a Belgian crossed with a dunkleweissen. :ph34r: Big, but very yummy... I have shown this to a few different guys here in Brisvegas, so I'll let them comment on the results.

GG

I've recently put down 2 x coles/famland lagers

Want to do a stout now, and noticed a lot of recipies adding DME or dextrose etc

I'm new to the toucan brew, so sorry if this is a simple question, but what are the benefits of two cans and a kilo of dex, as opposed to just two cans?

With most people using two kit yeasts, will one batch of another yeast be sufficient?
Sorry for the newbie questions, just getting my head around it

cheers

Hi Bloke,
the dex will up the alcohol quite a bit, to about 7%. Half kilo would do to about 6% give or take. Half kilo of dried malt extract will give it a bit more body compared to dex.
The 2 satchets of yeast should do ok. Cheers

Hi Bloke,
the dex will up the alcohol quite a bit, to about 7%. Half kilo would do to about 6% give or take. Half kilo of dried malt extract will give it a bit more body compared to dex.
The 2 satchets of yeast should do ok. Cheers

Hi Milkman,
Used just the one of the yeasts sachels that came with thi tin and this worked out quite fine, the brew full fermented in 8 days, no probs

Cheers, Ivan. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back