'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Milkman,
Used just the one of the yeasts sachels that came with thi tin and this worked out quite fine, the brew full fermented in 8 days, no probs

Cheers, Ivan. :icon_cheers:
Another note, if you use both yeast (which you can do) don't put your fermenter over carpet... you can expect a lot of frothing from the airlock.

500g Brown sugar goes well IMO with the stout/darks

I've recently put down 2 x coles/famland lagers

Want to do a stout now, and noticed a lot of recipies adding DME or dextrose etc

I'm new to the toucan brew, so sorry if this is a simple question, but what are the benefits of two cans and a kilo of dex, as opposed to just two cans?

With most people using two kit yeasts, will one batch of another yeast be sufficient?
Sorry for the newbie questions, just getting my head around it

cheers

I've currently got my annual Toucan, around ready to bottle now. It's two Coopers Stouts, a kilo of dex and a kilo of LDME with an aroma hop addition, fermented on Nottingham yeast although as the previous poster says the kit yeast should be just fine (will ferment up to 9.5% AFAIK). The reason it's so strong is that it's deliberately meant to be a headbanger mofo homie malt liquor glass-o-death :icon_drunk:

Ha, so there. Actually it's a nice drink when you feel like a good beer session in the winter but don't really want to have to drink two or three litres of freeezing fizzy liquid and would like something more heart-warming and luscious :icon_cheers: Not a lawnmower beer, oh no.

Hi Milkman,
Used just the one of the yeasts sachels that came with thi tin and this worked out quite fine, the brew full fermented in 8 days, no probs

Cheers, Ivan. :icon_cheers:

Thanks fellas - think i'll do a stout and dark mix, with half a kilo of dex - I do like 6 percenters!

cheers
Steven

Frankenstein Brown Toucan
Tooheys Real Ale
Wanders Draught
500g LDME
30g Caramunich 1 (40min steep)
30g CaraAroma (40min steep)
40g Amber Malt (40min steep)
20g Cascade (40min steep)
10g Cascade @ 0min
WLP 029 German Ale/Kolsch & then a Morgans Lager yeast
OG = 1060 FG=1022

Cracked this open last night, Bloody awesome! Left my toucan stout for dead flavourwise.

Frankenstein Brown Toucan
Tooheys Real Ale
Wanders Draught
500g LDME
30g Caramunich 1 (40min steep)
30g CaraAroma (40min steep)
40g Amber Malt (40min steep)
20g Cascade (40min steep)
10g Cascade @ 0min
WLP 029 German Ale/Kolsch & then a Morgans Lager yeast
OG = 1060 FG=1022

Cracked this open last night, Bloody awesome! Left my toucan stout for dead flavourwise.

Looks an interesting recipe like the sound of it. Looks like a bit of a cupboard clearer for remnants of left over malts. :icon_cheers:

Looks an interesting recipe like the sound of it. Looks like a bit of a cupboard clearer for remnants of left over malts. :icon_cheers:
Pretty much so.
Actually I even poured in some WLP800 as well, hoping that'd drop the gravity a bit further? Didn't do a thing. :ph34r:
Basically the name says it all. (credit goes to Joshhardie for the name).
I'm seriously surprised how well it turned out.

Gonna try a twocan tomorrow after work:

Thinking of:

- 1 x Can Brigalow Munich Lager
- 1 x Can Brigalow Draught
- 250g Light Dried Malt
- 200g Maltodextrin
- 550g Dextrose
- 2 bags Hallertau Hops
- fill to 25-30 LTRS
- Both Yeast packets

Will let you guys know how i got on.

Currently drinking my toucan.

- 1 x Can Coopers Real Ale
- 1 x Can Homebrand Draught
- 1 x BE2
- Both Yeasts

My 6th kit brew and best yet I reckon.

I need to get rid of a few cans of Coopers Euro Lager, so a tucan is on the cards for tommorow because I wont use them for anything else really. I've read through the whole thread but can't find any info. Any suggestions as to what would be good to add grain & hops wise? I'll be using Wyeast 1056 so it won't be a lager.

Picked up a couple of cans yesterday dirt cheap (thanks BrenosBrews).

I'm thinking:
- 1 x Coopers Stout
- 1 x Tooheys Draught
- 500g LDME
- 500g Dex
- 250g assorted Choc / Crystal / Roasted grains (depends on what leftovers I've got in my stash)
- Either re-used US-05 or re-used 1968 ESB yeast
- Make up to 18lt

The plan is to ferment that out for 2 weeks, then rack half of it onto some raspberries, and the other half to get some liquorice essence, then bottle a week later.

If I'm using frozen raspberries, do I need to boil them first to sanitize, or are they Ok due to going into an alcoholic medium? They're food grade (d'uh!) but could harbour other wild yeasts, I 'spose.

You'll need to pasturise them first

Gonna try a twocan tomorrow after work:

Thinking of:

- 1 x Can Brigalow Munich Lager
- 1 x Can Brigalow Draught
- 250g Light Dried Malt
- 200g Maltodextrin
- 550g Dextrose
- 2 bags Hallertau Hops
- fill to 25-30 LTRS
- Both Yeast packets

Will let you guys know how i got on.

Hey fellas,

This brew has been brewing for a couple of weeks now, now she seems to be a bit of a High-gravity brew! she's not moving below 1016 after 3 days. Is this common in twocan brews? She smells and tastes bloody nice though.

Hey fellas,

This brew has been brewing for a couple of weeks now, now she seems to be a bit of a High-gravity brew! she's not moving below 1016 after 3 days. Is this common in twocan brews? She smells and tastes bloody nice though.

Hi Wallace,
What was your starting, OG Mine finished at 1012 but had less fermentables in it which makes me think that your FG is Pretty much right,

Seems like it's time for your next step mate :super:

BUMP.

Just put this down this arvo,,,,

Cooprs Real Ale & Tooheys Draught,
500g LDM

Made to 24 litres.

Hopefully not too strong.

Plan to dry hop 10g Cascade after three days, rack to secondary at eight days and then keg at fourteen days.

Any suggestions on improving this would be appreciated, as well as any reports on other brewers recent toucans.

Cheers, Ivan :icon_cheers:

BUMP.

Just put this down this arvo,,,,

Cooprs Real Ale & Tooheys Draught,
500g LDM

Made to 24 litres.

Hopefully not too strong.

Plan to dry hop 10g Cascade after three days, rack to secondary at eight days and then keg at fourteen days.

Any suggestions on improving this would be appreciated, as well as any reports on other brewers recent toucans.

Cheers, Ivan :icon_cheers:

Very similar to the toucan I have on tap at the moment except I used a coopers bitter and a mix of LDME and Dex.

I'd hop it at around a gram per litre for late hops.

I hopped 30g Willamette before pitching yeast and 15g 3 days in and it it dosent have any distinctive hop flavour. But I've turned into a real hop head lately so I guess it depends what your aiming for.

Mines still very very drinkable next time I'll just hop a bit heavyer and I'm thinking amarillo.

AHHH! You've all given me the toucan bug! :D

Tomorrow marks me putting down 4 brews in 10 days, 2 of which are bottled. I really don't need any more. However...a toucan of dark something would be good as a winter warmer, I've got plenty of bottles as well.

Not to mention doing a QCN (quick, cheap & nasty) by throwing some Homebrand Draught kits together, perhaps some Amber and Cluster to help it along.

Cheers - boingk

Heres one I bottled around a month ago
Tastes nice already
Trying to age for Xmas :lol:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Tooheys Real Toucan
Brewer: finners
Asst Brewer:
Style: Altbier
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.73 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 41.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 30.6 %
3.40 kg Tooheys Real Ale (72.3 EBC) Extract 69.4 %
15.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

hey all some toucans ive done

TRAPPIST
morgans aus draught
morgans canadian india pale ale
1kg black fern hopped wheat malt extract
500g belgian candi sugar
30g styrian goldings boil 1hr
wyeast "trappist" smackpack
og1068
fg1014

DARK WHEAT
morgans golden sheaf wheat x2
300g maltcraft caramalt
50g dark crystal malt- both steeped for 1/2 hr
1kg ironbark honey
w3068 wyeast smackpack
og1060
fg1012

both toucans tasted fantastic and will be done again
also done a threecan (trican maybe!) stout but that belongs in another thread

cheers,dan

do you have an alcohol leve for the dark wheat? was there any need to put the honey in and would you put less or the same in next time?

cheers

I don't really blow my own trumpet, bang my own drum etc. If I announce a comp result it's invariably to give encouragement to a fellow BIAB brewer or to demonstrate to BIAB sceptics that the method has merit. Or I'm more than happy to share a recipe that has succeeded in a comp, for anyone who has enquired about it and is interested in trying it out. However if another BIAB brewer has success in comps or whatever I'm even more happy for them to post for themselves.

However this post has nothing to do with BIAB at all: in the QLD 2009 Brewing Competition, out of 5 Russian Imperial Stouts my Coopers Toucan Headbanger came second. Not really a fluke, everyone I have tried on a bottle of it considers it to be a good drop. It came in ahead of brews that were no doubt crafted at length as all grain brews in shiny HERMS systems whatever and were good and tasty stouts so I'm not sneering at all. The point is that it is possible to make a kit brew that can hold its head up and can be made by novices provided they follow correct procedures of sanitation, temperature control, yeast selection etc.

It so happens that a bulletproof brew is a Coopers Stout toucan plus extras and is more than anything a tribute to the clear efforts that Coopers themselves must put into their Stout can. For novices who like a stout I reckon it's a must-do brew as part of their 'apprenticeship'

2 cans Coopers Stout
1kg dex
1kg LDME

Nottingham Ale yeast 18 degrees for at least 2 weeks

Add 20g Styrian Goldings or EKG pellets and Cold condition for a week.

:icon_cheers:

I don't really blow my own trumpet, bang my own drum etc. If I announce a comp result it's invariably to give encouragement to a fellow BIAB brewer or to demonstrate to BIAB sceptics that the method has merit. Or I'm more than happy to share a recipe that has succeeded in a comp, for anyone who has enquired about it and is interested in trying it out. However if another BIAB brewer has success in comps or whatever I'm even more happy for them to post for themselves.

However this post has nothing to do with BIAB at all: in the QLD 2009 Brewing Competition, out of 5 Russian Imperial Stouts my Coopers Toucan Headbanger came second. Not really a fluke, everyone I have tried on a bottle of it considers it to be a good drop. It came in ahead of brews that were no doubt crafted at length as all grain brews in shiny HERMS systems whatever and were good and tasty stouts so I'm not sneering at all. The point is that it is possible to make a kit brew that can hold its head up and can be made by novices provided they follow correct procedures of sanitation, temperature control, yeast selection etc.

It so happens that a bulletproof brew is a Coopers Stout toucan plus extras and is more than anything a tribute to the clear efforts that Coopers themselves must put into their Stout can. For novices who like a stout I reckon it's a must-do brew as part of their 'apprenticeship'

2 cans Coopers Stout
1kg dex
1kg LDME

Nottingham Ale yeast 18 degrees for at least 2 weeks

Add 20g Styrian Goldings or EKG pellets and Cold condition for a week.

:icon_cheers:

i entered the recipe details into a s.g calculator that also gives other details and it said that this brew comes out at around 9.5% for 23L...... is that correct? if so holy crap!

did you boil one or both of the kits to remove some of the bitterness?

and just so im sure, is the above recipe for your award winning headbanger or is this another good recipe?

im going to have to give this one a go, im thinking about adding some chocolate or caramalt to it though?

Back