'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast did you use? I tried a Coopers Lager toucan with US-05 and after a month I found the isohop bitterness very harsh. Settled down with time but I think using S-04 or nottingham would be a better bet.
At that time I just used a single Coopers kit yeast, frothed all over the place. I'm not a real fan of bitter beers and it didn't strike me as over the top. I think as well it depends on the age of the can, some old stock can get a harsh metallic twang as well, I usually tried to get my cans from a fast moving outlet like a larger BigW etc.

ive made a cpa/canadian blonde a few times with some carapils/crystal and cascade late hopping and theyve turned out very drinkable tho can be a bit bitter early on.pretty good after 2 months. my mates seem to like this one and its quick.might try it with a couple of farmland cans for comparison.

Picked up a couple of cans for 5 bucks(out of date) a pop so I thought I'd take them home tip them in the fermenter in be done in 10min max. But that plan went out the window on the way home and ended taking about 2hrs but still good for under 20 bucks for 25L including yeast.

Muntons Irish Stout

Muntons Midland Mild

100g Roasted Barley

150g Choc malt

250g carared
15g EKG 15min
15g EKG 0min
5g POR 0min
30g Styrian G 0min
S04

Cheers Brad
good looking brew brad. esp when muntons cans r $5 each. good thinking on your recipe.

im thinking of doing a toucan with yeast reculturd from a chimay blue,mainly just to get up a good amount of yeast for a chimay blue clone im planning on doing,has anyone ever attempted this before?any suggestions on what cans to use?might chuck in some home made candi sugar too.

I know this is a while ago now Dr Relax, but I have done a toucan of the following:

• 2X Coopers Lager Cans
  • 900g LDME
  • 1 sachet Fermentis T-58 yeast
I posted a thread asking for peoples opinions before trying this recipe, and the general consensus was that the IBU rating for the two lits would be too much for a Belgian style beer. I did it anyway, using IanH's Excel kit spreadsheet (BTW - bloody nice work Ian! :beerbang: ) to help me balance out the bitterness by adding an appropriate amount of LDME. The result is a 7% ABV Belgain blonde monster! The bitterness is a little bit higher than what you might expect for a Belgian, but I think that it helps keep the beer balanced rather than being this big, sweet, phenolic, alcoholic beast. It's not a session beer, but I think that for the amount of effort that goes into it the results are more than worthwhile. The guys I have shown this beer to agree as well. :icon_drunk:

My 2c :icon_cheers:

and yes you can reculture chimay yeast. works well.

I know this is a while ago now Dr Relax, but I have done a toucan of the following:

• 2X Coopers Lager Cans
  • 900g LDME
  • 1 sachet Fermentis T-58 yeast
I posted a thread asking for peoples opinions before trying this recipe, and the general consensus was that the IBU rating for the two lits would be too much for a Belgian style beer. I did it anyway, using IanH's Excel kit spreadsheet (BTW - bloody nice work Ian! :beerbang: ) to help me balance out the bitterness by adding an appropriate amount of LDME. The result is a 7% ABV Belgain blonde monster! The bitterness is a little bit higher than what you might expect for a Belgian, but I think that it helps keep the beer balanced rather than being this big, sweet, phenolic, alcoholic beast. It's not a session beer, but I think that for the amount of effort that goes into it the results are more than worthwhile. The guys I have shown this beer to agree as well. :icon_drunk:

My 2c :icon_cheers:

+1 on that GG unbelievable flavours on that one, absolutely awesome 2can recipe

good looking brew brad. esp when muntons cans r $5 each. good thinking on your recipe.

Yep awesome value brew. Thought adding the extras would freshen up the cans a bit. Best thing is I wacked it in the fermenting fridge before flying out for work and it should be ready for kegging when I get back on Saturday. Missed my daily krausen checks though.

Brad

The missus picked me up some $7 cans on Saturday (and both exp 2011!), and i'm thinking of doing the favoured Stout/Dark Ale Toucan tonight, using what i have in the cupboard/fridge.

1 Coopers Stout
1 Coopers Dark Ale
500gm Dark Malt (dry)
Choc Malt (Steeped)
US-04 Yeast

Not sure how much Choc Malt to steep, am thinking 150gms. Any idea's preferences etc.? I'm wanting to get something like a Guinness Extra Stout/Swan Stout/Coopers Stout - 6.5%

Not sure how much Choc Malt to steep, am thinking 150gms. Any idea's preferences etc.? I'm wanting to get something like a Guinness Extra Stout/Swan Stout/Coopers Stout - 6.5%

No point going for only 150gms of Choc, you won't be able to notice it amongst the strong flavours from the Two Cans. Up it to at least 250 - 300 gms, plus maybe another 100gm Black Malt or Roasted Barley for that stout "burnt coffee" taste.

Yup, I'm salivating at the thought... :icon_drool2:

Hi all
Am gonna try my first toucan soon and bought 2 cans of homebrand lager and am gonna throw in some bannanas that i have in the freezer (2 or 3). I reaslise this wont be great beer but it is more of sn experiment to see how cheap i can make ok beer and to try adding a bannana flavour as have tried Well Banana Bread Bitter and really liked it and reading the thread on Banana beer got me interested.
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use some of the yeast cake i will have after my currnet brew is finished (esb 3kg bavarian wheat with wb06) or just pitch both packet yeasts. I would also like to hear cheap ideas for this brew if anyone has any am tryin to keep it under $20.
Cheers
Silas

Something in me shudders at the thought of two cans of homebrand but it's your beer. The ESB yeast slurry will be much better quality though.

Just an experiment really havn't been brewing long this will be my 6th brew. and first try with bananas

Mate go for it. Don't be put off by my expression of an internal shudder - experimentation in your own beer is a good thing.

You can also get banana flavours from certain yeasts at certain temperatures so something to keep in mind for future brews.

QUOTE (DR.RELAX @ Feb 19 2009, 08:39 PM) *
im thinking of doing a toucan with yeast reculturd from a chimay blue,mainly just to get up a good amount of yeast for a chimay blue clone im planning on doing,has anyone ever attempted this before?any suggestions on what cans to use?might chuck in some home made candi sugar too.

* 2X Coopers Lager Cans
* 900g LDME
* 1 sachet Fermentis T-58 yeast

I posted a thread asking for peoples opinions before trying this recipe, and the general consensus was that the IBU rating for the two lits would be too much for a Belgian style beer. I did it anyway, using IanH's Excel kit spreadsheet (BTW - bloody nice work Ian! beerbang.gif ) to help me balance out the bitterness by adding an appropriate amount of LDME. The result is a 7% ABV Belgain blonde monster! The bitterness is a little bit higher than what you might expect for a Belgian, but I think that it helps keep the beer balanced rather than being this big, sweet, phenolic, alcoholic beast. It's not a session beer, but I think that for the amount of effort that goes into it the results are more than worthwhile. The guys I have shown this beer to agree as well. icon_drunk.gif

i didnt end up doing this actually,instead i used a can of euro lager,1.1kg ldme,800g home made candi and 100g of cara aroma and crystal (each)as well as 10g of styrian @10 mins,made up to 16 litres.
turned out like sweet beer cordial concentrate mainly because the chimay culture i used didnt eat up all the sugars <_<though hopefully a few months in the bottl will fix that up a bit.
your recipe looks good so i might have to give that a try and give the t58 a go.
rob.

The wheat yeast from the ESB might give you some banana notes too.
:icon_offtopic:
ive just made a couple of weizens with wb06 and i found that it wasnt very bananery.. a lot more clove even after i let it get up to 20-21C

rob

Been a while since the last toucan, so this is a good way to get rid of 2x 1/2 price cans
Didn't think too much on this recipe, I just went with the flow.
Just waiting for the temp to drop, and I'll pitch in the morning.

Tooheys Real Ale
Wanders Draught
500g LDME
30g Caramunich 1 (40min steep)
30g CaraAroma (40min steep)
40g Amber Malt (40min steep)
20g Cascade (40min steep)
10g Cascade @ 0min
WLP 029 German Ale/Kolsch
OG = 1060

:icon_offtopic:
ive just made a couple of weizens with wb06 and i found that it wasnt very bananery.. a lot more clove even after i let it get up to 20-21C

rob

It's that versus the homebrand kit yeast so I know where I'd be throwing my hat.

Back