'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a glass of what I called "The Fugly Stick".

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
42g Fuggles @15 mins (all I had at the time)

Is a horrid thing cold, but is actually very nice and surprisingly complex when about 15 deg C - but I can only drink about 1 per steak, not a quaffer.

ED: made in late June this year, only drinkable now IMO

Was thinking of doing something similar to the toucan in the above post, i'm thinking

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500gm brown sugar
10gm Fuggles.

Thoughts? Maybe chuck the fuggles up to 15gm?

Was thinking of doing something similar to the toucan in the above post, i'm thinking

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500gm brown sugar
10gm Fuggles.

Thoughts? Maybe chuck the fuggles up to 15gm?

I doubt that you will get much from just 15g of fuggles. The 2 can is fairly bitter to start with and strong in flavours.
I did the same with 500g of CSR Treacle instead of sugar + about 400g ( what I had left) of DME. No extra hops.

It is a potent heavy stout still young at about 3 months. To be drunk in small quantities only. Goes very well with a fresh sweet mango for dessert.

I doubt that you will get much from just 15g of fuggles. The 2 can is fairly bitter to start with and strong in flavours.
I did the same with 500g of CSR Treacle instead of sugar + about 400g ( what I had left) of DME. No extra hops.

It is a potent heavy stout still young at about 3 months. To be drunk in small quantities only. Goes very well with a fresh sweet mango for dessert.
Oh my that sound's delicious!
Ive had two fermentors on the go for a few months now so i have plenty of stock and don't intend on drinking the stout for at least 6months.
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hops, how much fuggles would you suggest?

I am no expert on hopping for stouts but would think a minimum of 25g pellets dry hopped for aroma or steeped for about 15 minutes in boiling water for some flavour additions without adding to the bitterness.

Check Bribies post one page back for dry hopping on Coopers 2 can stout.

The treacle adds a slight but subtle molasses flavour without being overpowering.

Yep, they'll do that to you!
Sounds like a good drop.
I would have liked more mouthfeel and more head. The head was almost non-existant and it felt a little thin to me.

Also, I would have liked a little of that 'burnt' taste that Nelson's Blood has. Not as much as the original as I feel it's a distraction from rest of the flavours and aromas.

Any hints on how to make those improvements?

Cheers - Fermented.

Hey guys,

Just put my first toucan in last night, a very quick last minute cheapie after stopping by the supermarket on the way home, and using what I had at home:

Wanders Munich Lager and a Coopers Lager
500gm Wheat Malt
US-05 yeast
Czech Saaz @ 15 mins

Hopefully ready to be kegged for a party next Saturday.... (and hopefully enough time to add some finings)

Should i dry hop the keg, or just let it be??? :huh:
..... which poses another question, can I add finings AND dry hop the keg?? :(

Phil

I would have liked more mouthfeel and more head. The head was almost non-existant and it felt a little thin to me.

Also, I would have liked a little of that 'burnt' taste that Nelson's Blood has. Not as much as the original as I feel it's a distraction from rest of the flavours and aromas.

Any hints on how to make those improvements?

Cheers - Fermented.

The mouthfeel and head should improve with more time that a week in the bottle.. I like to steep 150g of dark or choc grain into stouts and dark ales.. Lovely roasted flavours.. Cold steeping works well and is very easy..

Thanks B&K! Will give it a shot... am planning to do that one again in a couple of days so will try that suggestion then.

Cheers - Fermented.

i just dropped my first toucan too.

coopers lager + cascade lager, courtesy of the old fella across the road. they were best before date 10/07, but i figured i'd give it a go. but of course i ditched the yeast.
not pitched. ditched.

so i used nottingham yeast (rehydrated according to the packet). damn it smelt good. so much better than the kit shit.

done to 23 litres.

forgot to take an OG before i put yeast in, so the goop in the tap brought OG to 1074 (!!!!) and i didn't want to get with the shaky shaky because i'd put the yeast in . . .
i'll see how gravity is this eve, once it's had 24 hours.

started at 20degrees. brought down to 16degrees overnight and maintaining at that temp.

+ve pressure in the airlock.

i'll be dryhopping with Galaxy in my brand new hop bag.

i'd heard folks say the cascade lager suck arse, so i thought this was a good way to get rid of the tin.

m'k.

Hey guys,

Just put my first toucan in last night, a very quick last minute cheapie after stopping by the supermarket on the way home, and using what I had at home:

Wanders Munich Lager and a Coopers Lager
500gm Wheat Malt
US-05 yeast
Czech Saaz @ 15 mins

Hopefully ready to be kegged for a party next Saturday.... (and hopefully enough time to add some finings)
Phil
So 8 days old for drinking? Pushing it my man...pushing it..... That will be a very green beer. I think as you taste it that early you'll be saying "yep that's young".

14 days minimum surely?

lol, i just started making a twocan actually. feeling lazy, so a quick bottle filler :p

2 x farmland draught kits ($8 each, lol)
150g medium crystal
50g carapils
500g light dried malt extract
500g dextrose

25g nelson sauvin @ 20min
25g nelson sauvin @ flameout

1056 yeast @ 18C

Noob question(s)...

What is the purpose of a "two-can"? Does it increase the body of the beer? Finally do you still make it up to 23L of wort?

Cheers...

A toucan is basically the same as using a can of goo (the extract) and a can of unhopped liquid malt, with the only exception that it is hopped.

In other words twice the flavour of a normal K&K.

Depending on your taste or what your intended result will be, choose your ingredients, make it up to 23l or more or less as you desire, and off you go. Pure beery goodness in a week or less.

I did a Coopers Real Ale Toucan. Came out like a mild porter. Not much head if you pour it in the same manner as megaswill, but if you use a little technique, then it has quite a decent head on it.

Lotsaluck!

Cheers - Fermented.

So 8 days old for drinking? Pushing it my man...pushing it..... That will be a very green beer. I think as you taste it that early you'll be saying "yep that's young".

14 days minimum surely?

Yeah, I think i will be pushing it..... decided it may the the emergency, emergency backup if i run out of the other kegs...... :blink:

Cheers,

Phil

fairly new to brewing but learning a lot thanks to this forum..my daily read..
have an "almost toucan" in the fermenter at th mo..

can coopers lager
1/2 can homebrand lager
1kg amber dry malt
juice of 2 oranges
goldings teabag in boil for 30 mins
steeped 100g crystal grain
boiled the whole thing for bout an hour,pitched recultured coopers pale ale yeast at bout 25C,had it in the primary for 10 days at 18 to 20C,tasted it yesterday and its coming along very nicely indeed,kinda like a coopers sparkling but a bit fruitier.was going to leave it in the primary for a few more days then cc for a week (holiday 2 perth) pull it out and dry hop with cascade for a week or 2 then bottle.

any suggestions/airing of grievances??

I'm going to guess that, depending on the oranges, it will deliver a little sourness / tartness to the flavour, just for interest's sake.

Cheers - Fermented.

That recipe sounds like it's got a bit of everything!
I reckon I would've left out the cascade myself, but please post tasting notes, dr.relax.

I just knocked together whatever I had laying around in the house:

1x Coopers Lager
1x Coopers Blonde
1x 1KG dextrose
2x kit yeasts

It's almost finished after only 3 days, not even sure what it will taste like

Latest posts

Back