'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did your airlock spew in yesterday's heat?

Cheers - Fermented.

Yeah. One question:

Why this????

Why?

i read it in one of the extract recipes but i think it was for a lager recipe.i cant really taste any orange flavour at the moment (primary) but i suppose time will tell..im very much in experimental mode with my brewing as im new to it but so far its the best tasting one yet.

my first was a coopers real ale with the can yeast and 1kg of dex which im drinking at the moment which is average but drinkable,
and a coopers pale ale which ive just bottled(recultured cpa yeast) which i probably brewed at too high a temp ,(approx 25C) and tasted a bit sour on bottling.had it in the fridge for a week before bottling.

can coopers lager
1/2 can homebrand lager
1kg amber dry malt
juice of 2 oranges
goldings teabag in boil for 30 mins
steeped 100g crystal grain
boiled the whole thing for bout an hour,pitched recultured coopers pale ale yeast at bout 25C,had it in the primary for 10 days at 18 to 20C,tasted it yesterday and its coming along very nicely indeed,kinda like a coopers sparkling but a bit fruitier.was going to leave it in the primary for a few more days then cc for a week (holiday 2 perth) pull it out and dry hop with cascade for a week or 2 then bottle.

just thought i'd post on how this turned out.it been in bottles for about 6 weeks now and turned out really nice,somewhere between a coopers sparkling and a tooheys old i suppose.cant taste any of the orange in there tho it was quite bitter up until about a month in bottles.i didnt end up using the cascade, dry hopped with amarillo at 11 days,fining with gelatine and bottled .best brew yet.

just bottled a cpa/canadian blonde toucan i did with couple of caps styrian goldings(no scales,approx 15g)at 10 mins and 100g of steeped pale crystal,then dry hopped with cascade teabag at 11 days,bottled at 15 days,very fruity smelling,tasted a bit like a little creatures PA. used wlp001 yeast.

cant wait til its done,smells fantastic!

just thought i'd post on how this turned out.it been in bottles for about 6 weeks now and turned out really nice,somewhere between a coopers sparkling and a tooheys old i suppose.cant taste any of the orange in there tho it was quite bitter up until about a month in bottles.i didnt end up using the cascade, dry hopped with amarillo at 11 days,fining with gelatine and bottled .best brew yet.

just bottled a cpa/canadian blonde toucan i did with couple of caps styrian goldings(no scales,approx 15g)at 10 mins and 100g of steeped pale crystal,then dry hopped with cascade teabag at 11 days,bottled at 15 days,very fruity smelling,tasted a bit like a little creatures PA. used wlp001 yeast.

cant wait til its done,smells fantastic!

That orange one Sounds like a nice beer.
The cpa/blonde one sounds promising from the recipe.

I threw down a cheapy last year of farmland draft ($7) and coopers real ale ($11) and after a month with was way hoppy and bitter - almost too bitter.

Now, 7 months on it is still bitter but much smoooooother and great body and head. Absolute ripper.

I reckon a pinch of malt might have softened the iso-hop flavour off sooner but at .80cents a litre it was worth the wait. My mates dig the flavour, it's a good quaffer drunk nice and cold with some salty snacks or deep fried food as it cuts right through the fat/salt beautifully.

Kind of reminds me of a Yorkshire Bitter I had ages ago (the name of which escapes me and I can't be bothered googling).

I love the supermarket challenge - keep the TwoCans coming.

Did a toucan of coopers lager with us-05. Tastes disgusting after 4 weeks, I think it might be infected.

Did a toucan of coopers lager with us-05. Tastes disgusting after 4 weeks, I think it might be infected.

Can you describe the taste. Also the recipe you used would be good, you know the ingredients you used. It will help to find the culprit...

Cheers

Chappo

im thinking of doing a toucan with yeast reculturd from a chimay blue,mainly just to get up a good amount of yeast for a chimay blue clone im planning on doing,has anyone ever attempted this before?any suggestions on what cans to use?might chuck in some home made candi sugar too.

Can you describe the taste. Also the recipe you used would be good, you know the ingredients you used. It will help to find the culprit...

Cheers

Chappo

Recipe was just the two tins of coopers original lager and the us-05 yeast.
I'm not very good at describing flavours but its a really harsh bitterness, almost acidic.

Im interested in trying this Toucan from Coopers website but the Bavarian Lager kit has been discontinued. Which kit would be a good substitute? Has anyone tried this Bok?

Light German Bok:

2 X 1.7kg Coopers Bavarian Lager

2 X 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

Nothing else!

Looking at doing my first toucan over the weekend.

Thinking of 2 x coopers pale ale cans in 23L.

Best to use CPA yeast from a six pack, or provided yeast?

Any idea how bitter it will be at the end?

Cheers

Looking at doing my first toucan over the weekend.

Any idea how bitter it will be at the end?

Cheers

Its easy. If one can has x amount of hop oils for bittering, using two cans will give you a finished beer twice as bitter as you would have gotten if you only used the one can. If you are happy with the bittering as is with one can make the second can a plain liquid malt extract with no bittering or better yet use DME. Liquid malt is the worst for stability over time as they stale faster on the shelf than in dry form.

My last? toucan camr out rather well but was a bit ruined by bulk priming method. I think I am with BribieG when saying bulk priming probably is not for me. I tried because it promised more consistent results.

Was a Tooheys Draught + Dark LiquidME (Coopers I believe)
8g S-04 yeast
+ less than 18% fermentables bill in sugar

fermented using evap cooling technique.

priming was more inconsistent than per bottle priming using bulk priming method. It was a struggle between oxygenation through agressive stirring mixation of the primin mix. I did the racking whirlpool flow plus light paddle stirring. This was not enough. Ended up way inconsistent, some bottles over primed resulting in fruity sweet off flavours and very high carbonation, large bubbles, soda drink style big fizz and quick bubble dissapation with no head and carbonation burn to the flavours to the other end of the spectrum with bottles from the end of bottling bucket session getting light carbonation, lovely flavour, tiny bubbles, thick creamy foamy head, no off flavours.

Not saying the method is rubbish just that I get better results personally when Im no using it.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Ok, I kegged my very first toucan on Sunday and tasted it last night, now I was not expecting big things, it was a bit of a "throw in what I have lying around" sort of brew.
Fermented in primary for 6 weeks cause I forgot about it, transferred to cube and kept at 4oC for 9 weeks cause baby came along and I had no time to do anything!.......... but oh my god this is a top drop, can't wait to get home to have some more tonight!

2 X Tooheys Classic Dark Ale (1 in boil for 60min, the other added at 5 min)
500g dark brown sugar
30g Perle @ 30 min
15g Cascade @ 5 min
S-04

Cheers
DK
(Yes, replying to an old post, but it looks like the right thread ...)

Two comments:

First, I've tried something like this but without the extra hops and (BIG MISTAKE) using the kit yeast: blah. Lacked flavour, and didn't attenuate well. Then I added to the problems choosing low-ish carbonation, and the result was ... blah. Good news: it certainly wasn't too bitter. Pity it was thin and lacking in flavour. :angry: (I am working my way through it mixing it with an unexceptional pale ale, as "black and tan". Live and learn.)

Second: As I (unfortunately? -- they were on clearance) have two more of these cans, I'll give 'em another whirl, this time with additional hops (maybe only Cascade, as I have no Perle currently) and perhaps with LDME instead of brown sugar ... I have both, so that decision can wait. Comments welcome of course!

I will CERTAINLY not use the kit yeast and will use something better; either S-04 or perhaps Nottingham, as I have some Nottingham close to its use-by date and it's supposed to work at a bit lower temperature than S-04, which would be useful at this time of year.

(Yes, replying to an old post, but it looks like the right thread ...)

Two comments:

First, I've tried something like this but without the extra hops and (BIG MISTAKE) using the kit yeast: blah. Lacked flavour, and didn't attenuate well. Then I added to the problems choosing low-ish carbonation, and the result was ... blah. Good news: it certainly wasn't too bitter. Pity it was thin and lacking in flavour. :angry: (I am working my way through it mixing it with an unexceptional pale ale, as "black and tan". Live and learn.)

Second: As I (unfortunately? -- they were on clearance) have two more of these cans, I'll give 'em another whirl, this time with additional hops (maybe only Cascade, as I have no Perle currently) and perhaps with LDME instead of brown sugar ... I have both, so that decision can wait. Comments welcome of course!

I will CERTAINLY not use the kit yeast and will use something better; either S-04 or perhaps Nottingham, as I have some Nottingham close to its use-by date and it's supposed to work at a bit lower temperature than S-04, which would be useful at this time of year.

I reckon steep 200g choc malt and add to the next kit. It should lift it up a bit. And replace the cascade with fuggles or goldings.

I reckon steep 200g choc malt and add to the next kit. It should lift it up a bit. And replace the cascade with fuggles or goldings.
Thanks -- wonder if DK used Cascade 'cos it was available, or as a specific choice? I shall use fuggles or goldings, and see about sourcing some choc malt.

I've made a couple of Coopers Lager toucans earlier on in my career and found they were a nice drop and certainly not too bitter. The disadvantage of the original series Coopers kits is that they come with a cheapy ale yeast and a better yeast would certainly be the go, even subbing a basic lager yeast like Mauri / Morgans lager would help if you don't want to pay for a Saflager.

I've made a couple of Coopers Lager toucans earlier on in my career and found they were a nice drop and certainly not too bitter.

What yeast did you use? I tried a Coopers Lager toucan with US-05 and after a month I found the isohop bitterness very harsh. Settled down with time but I think using S-04 or nottingham would be a better bet.

Im interested in trying this Toucan from Coopers website but the Bavarian Lager kit has been discontinued. Which kit would be a good substitute? Has anyone tried this Bok?

Light German Bok:

2 X 1.7kg Coopers Bavarian Lager

2 X 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

Nothing else!

If you cant get the Coopers Bavarian lager try a Black rock Bock x2 that should knock your socks off ;)

i tend to use a dark malt with bock or a 50/50 mix of light an dark but that's just me :D

Picked up a couple of cans for 5 bucks(out of date) a pop so I thought I'd take them home tip them in the fermenter in be done in 10min max. But that plan went out the window on the way home and ended taking about 2hrs but still good for under 20 bucks for 25L including yeast.

Muntons Irish Stout

Muntons Midland Mild

100g Roasted Barley

150g Choc malt

250g carared
15g EKG 15min
15g EKG 0min
5g POR 0min
30g Styrian G 0min
S04

Cheers Brad

Back