'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i entered the recipe details into a s.g calculator that also gives other details and it said that this brew comes out at around 9.5% for 23L...... is that correct? if so holy crap!

did you boil one or both of the kits to remove some of the bitterness?

and just so im sure, is the above recipe for your award winning headbanger or is this another good recipe?

im going to have to give this one a go, im thinking about adding some chocolate or caramalt to it though?

Yes about 9% so not a session beer :p No I didn't boil any of the kit as that wouldn't remove any bitterness, the alpha acid is there to stay. It doesn't taste overly bitter as the extra fermentables balance that out. Some extra cara-type malts would definitely add more complex flavours, I'd go for it.
That is the exact recipe. The Nottingham Yeast is good because it will chew its way through car tyres and leaves the beer as clean as. You don't want a yeast that throws fruity esters etc or the stout will become sickeningly fruity. Also ferment as cool as possible, around 18 or below is good.

Warning: consume in moderation and consult a doctor if pain persists :lol:

Boiling will not remove bitterness dave.

Boiling extracts bitterness from hops which has already been done with a kit. Boiling kits may change the hop flavour profile but the bitterness is there to stay.

Once fermented and kegged/bottled perceived bitterness can round out with maturation.

What do you think about using the lightly bittered Coopers Mexican Cerveza(16ibu) kit to replace the light dry malt addition in a regular 23L lager/pilsener kit brew? Might add a small amount of dextrose to crisp up this malty two can brew depending on how much effect the added bitterness/hops has.

Considering Coopers kits are cheaper than malt for me:
1) Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit - 16ibu, lightly hopped LME(Liquid Malt Extract) 1.7KG = 80% dry malt = 1.36KG dry malt.($11 kit)
2) Muntons "Hopped" Light Spraymalt - Bitterness (EBU's)3042($12/KG) - emailed Muntons but did not get a response on the type/quantity of hops. Am assuming this bittering EBU level is added whether the malt is boiled or not.
3) Muntons Light Spray malt - Bitterness (EBU's) N/A or zero.($14/KG)

We do not want to significantly increase bitterness/hop levels compared to using unhopped dry malt. Am thinking adding the Cerveza kit(16ibu) would be similar or even less bitter than adding Muntons "hopped light dry malt"(EBU 3042).

From some of the helpful posts here appears you must boil hops to extract bitterness from them. And dry hopping = a technique of adding hops directly to the fermenter which can be used to impart hop aroma/flavor but not bitterness.

Muntons website details:
1) Muntons "Hopped" Light Spraymalt - adds extra hops as well as more malt. Perfect as a general kit improver - specially designed to retain the beer's natural balance.
Typical analyses:
Colour (EBC Units) 7 - 12
Bitterness (EBU's) 30 - 42
Moisture (when packed) 5.5%
Protein 7.5% max.
pH 5 6

2) Muntons Light Spraymalt - great for all beer styles. Adds extra body and richness. Especially useful when brewing lighter beers such as lagers and pilsners.
Typical analyses:
Colour (EBC Units) 7 - 12
Bitterness (EBU's) N/A
Moisture (when packed) 5.5%
Protein 7.5% max.
pH 5 6

Thanks for all the informative posts,

Doing my first Toucan tomorrow.

2x Tooheys Special Lager cans
5g Saaz 30min
5g Saaz 5min

S-04 yeast

Thoughts?

great reading this two can stuff!!!

im thinking
2 cans of coopers larger
LDM 500g
DEX 500g
Coopers BE1 x 1 kg
made to 23ltres

any thoughts before i strat it??

I'm thinking that would knock your head off :)
All those fermentables would make a pretty high Alc%

Going to put down my first toucan today.

2 x Coopers lager cans
250g crystal malt (steeped for 30 mins)
500g dextrose
25g Amarillo - 15 mins
25g Amarillo dry hopped
kit yeast or US05 un decided as yet

The Amarillo is basically to try add a bit more flavour, does it seem nessecary?

i am thinking along the lines of something like this will be my 2nd toucan after a 2x homebrand lager -

will this turn out more stouty??

2x coopers dark ale kits
150g choc malt
150g cara aroma
500g dex
20g POR @ 20 mins
20g POR @ end
yeast not sure yet prob just both coopers yeasts..

sugestions and recipe changes are more than welcome

this will be my first time steeping grains but have read alot about this and i am pretty sure i've wrapped my head around it seems easy enough :D

Happy drinking :chug:

2 x Coopers lager cans
500g dextrose
25g Amarillo - 15 mins
25g Amarillo dry hopped

The Amarillo is basically to try add a bit more flavour, does it seem nessecary?

Ended up going the US 05 made up to a 22L batch. My first time using grains and boy do they smell good!
Sampled the gravity reading tube and its noticably more bitter than my previous brews so we will see how it turns out, only 4 weeks to go :D

i am thinking along the lines of something like this will be my 2nd toucan after a 2x homebrand lager -

will this turn out more stouty??

2x coopers dark ale kits
150g choc malt
150g cara aroma
500g dex
20g POR @ 20 mins
20g POR @ end
yeast not sure yet prob just both coopers yeasts..

sugestions and recipe changes are more than welcome

this will be my first time steeping grains but have read alot about this and i am pretty sure i've wrapped my head around it seems easy enough :D

Happy drinking :chug:

steeped grains once before.... found that choc malt is overpowering IMO, definetly in that beer. Especially in a twocan.....

So do you reckon leave it out completely? or just halve the amount? when you say over powering too chocolatey or just didnt work right with the other flavours?

2 cans of Coopers heritage lager
1kg light dry malt
both yeasts

6.4% and bloody sensational! Best beer I've made so far :D

2canheritagelager.jpg

So I want a Choc Porter, so I dont want it to be bitter...

1x Can of Coopers Dark Ale (boiled for 30 mins so the bitterness isnt crazy..)
1x Can of Coopers Pale Ale (Pale Ale because again i dont want to bitter a beer)
750g Choc Malt
500g Dex (purely to get Alc% over7%)
15g Sterling Hops (at end of boil)

S-04 yeast

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS! perticularly about the Hops, and the Dex, should I use brown sugar instead? or Malt extract?

I just sampled a toucan stout after 2 weeks in the bottle and its suprisingly good

1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers dark ale
100gms dried wheat extract boiled for 20 minutes in 3 litres
25gms fuggles @ 10 mins
15gms cascade @ 10 mins
couldnt get the hops i wanted so i used what was in the fridge
15ml licorice extraxt
safale s-04
23 litre batch

turned out a good flavoured stout with some good coffee hints that keeps a good head on it. Will be making this one again.

2 x Coopers lager cans
500g dextrose
25g Amarillo - 15 mins
25g Amarillo dry hopped

How did this one turn out Husky? Sounds interesting.

2 cans of Coopers heritage lager
1kg light dry malt
both yeasts

6.4% and bloody sensational! Best beer I've made so far :D

2canheritagelager.jpg

Well, if it tastes as good as it looks, you've got a winner there! Nice looking glass too.

Back