'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 cans of Coopers heritage lager
1kg light dry malt
both yeasts

6.4% and bloody sensational! Best beer I've made so far :D

2canheritagelager.jpg

Any more info on this recipe? time in fermenter? temps? etc...quite interested...

Any more info on this recipe? time in fermenter? temps? etc...quite interested...
G'day Asha

Hmmm... it's going back a while since I did that one. From memory it took about 2 weeks to ferment, and I think I ran the temps around 18 +/-

I haven't made it again as I've been trying a whole bunch of different recipes.

Just put down my first toucan after being intrigued by this thread and trying to figure out what to do with some random kits n bits:

Can of Tooheys draught (got for $5 from local woolies)
Can of Coopers Canadian Blond
Cascade Hop T-bag
Leftover Coopers Euro lager yeast
About 200g of leftover LDME
Made to 22litres, pitched at 18c

Colour is an awesome amber and smells really malty so far.

Also my cheapest brew - so if its swill, its only about $20 wasted. ;)

Will hopefully have some good results to report in a few weeks.

just wanted to say thanks to whoever posted this recipe people are loving this stout

1 coopers stout
1 coopers dark ale
500g dex
500g csr treacle
500g of ldme (didnt have access to dark dme but no complaints made)
both kit yeasts
2 weeks at 18

thinking of steeping some grain and adding some hops next time but honestly the feedback im getting is its fantastic just as it is definetly a repeat for me

Coles clearout toucan:

Coopers Pale Ale + Coopers Canadian Blonde
500g Coopers LDME
200g Carared steeped 1/2hour at 65C
200g raw sugar

15g Galaxy@30mins
10g Galaxy@10mins
10g Amarillo@10mins

23g Ahtanum dryhopped after 6 days
OG 1060
FG 1014

Bottled Saturday night and clear and nearly fully carbed today Tuesday. Tastes fantastic already much like a good AIPA.

Gotta give someone a THANK-YOU from many pages back.......think it may have been a "Pete" - glass of this brew in his avatar pic.......

Made the Coopers Stout + Dark, 250g LDME, whacked a few pieces of licorice in a short boil with a dose of EKG, all into the fermenter with a starter of liquid Irish Ale yeast.

Tasted tonight after 3 weeks in the bottle - best tasting beer i've made inside 2 months ageing, all my other stouts have taken 3 months to be superb, this one is almost as good after < 1 month.

Cheers

Mick.

I went crazy about 3 weeks ago with a Toucan Bug (basically because I got a new 50lt fermenter and the wife picked up the wrong cans of goo), and put down 2 batches as follows.

1) Coopers Pale Ale 1.7k
Coopers Real Ale 1.7k
500g Coopers BE2
250g steeped grain
25g Amarillo Hops
Both kit yeasts
Mixed to 24 litres
13 days at 18 degrees on average
Kegged, carbonated and dispensed after 2 days
FG around 1008.

Result, nicely bittered to average out the maltiness, red/brown in colour, couldn't really pick up on the Amarillo as it was very subtle but overall a very, very nice brew. Not too heavy, but more malty and bitter than my usual Pale Ale mix.

2) Coopers Pale Ale 2* 1.7k = 3.4kg Pale Ale
Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg
Coopers BE2 1kg
LDME 1kg
500g steeped cracked grain
50g Amarillo Hops bolied 10minutes
CPA yeast starter and American Pale Ale yeast 14g together (I know, it was a bit of an experiment)
Mixed to 50lt, and fermented side by side with the first brew, same time, same temp.
FG 1008-1010
Kegged, carbonated and tasted after 3 days.

Result (although not a real Toucan as I used 3 cans plus BE2 and Malt in 50lt) was a little maltier than the first Toucan, but also a little smoother and more mouthfeel, more aroma from the amarillo. A touch darker, but still not what I would call a dark beer.

Overall, I really like both brews. Not what I would call lawn mower brews, but definately nice winter/autumn escapes from my Pale Ales. Both are nice to drink, and I have put some aside in bottles to see how they mature and age.

I also put brew 2) into 2 kegs, one I have in the fridge, the other I am using almost like racking it as it is sittign at room temp and will go in the fridge when the other keg is done, so I wll see how it matures compared to the bottles.

This is something I will definately do again, and experiment more with different hops to balance out the maltiness and bring more aroma to the brew. If you havent tried a Toucan, you really should experiement. I plan to have one in a keg, and some spares in bottles to mature at all times as a change of pace!

Bubba

Gotta give someone a THANK-YOU from many pages back.......think it may have been a "Pete" - glass of this brew in his avatar pic.......

Made the Coopers Stout + Dark, 250g LDME, whacked a few pieces of licorice in a short boil with a dose of EKG, all into the fermenter with a starter of liquid Irish Ale yeast.

Tasted tonight after 3 weeks in the bottle - best tasting beer i've made inside 2 months ageing, all my other stouts have taken 3 months to be superb, this one is almost as good after < 1 month.

Cheers

Mick.
I think it was Ivanotherone, who did that licorice one. Something i still need to do.

A bit of a hijack from the toucan topic, but I need to try my basic toucan against this one. I did it a couple of years back and it scored a 2nd place in it's category in the castle hill comp.
Coopers Stout kit
1.5kg Morgans Dark Malt can
110g Roast Barley (steep 30min)
15g Styrian Goldings @60min
15g Styrian Goldings @10min
Danstar Windsor yeast
Can't remember the starting gravity, but it ended at 1022.

Cheers

Mick.

Yep, 'Twas me, and at four months old this brew has smoothed a little, a nice balance of bitterness with smooth taste and a hint of licorice.

The licorice idea came from my LHBS who convinced me to try a 30ml bottle of licorice essence with a Coopers stout, and a Brewcraft stout pack. This made a very fine Stout indeed without leaving a chunk of licorice in the fermenter.
This said, there is no worries about using fine chopped stick of licorice as the flavouring will still be achieved at a fraction of the cost of a bottle of essence.

Ivan. :icon_cheers:

While this isnt a typical Show us your toucan idea type post, I am intending to do a BribieG inspired Toucan stout headbanger brew as follows:

2x Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout cans (the brew store didnt have the generic Coopers Stout cans)

1kg Dex

Either 0.5kg LDME or 0.5kg crumbly, moist brown sugar (just to counteract the dryness a tad)

The question I have relates to yeast I have a sachet of US-05 and obviously the two kit yeast sachets. I am looking to finish this brew fully ASAP (ie achieve a stable FG ready for kegging by next Saturday). Am I able to achieve this by using two of the yeast sachets together (I will be putting this together shortly), will I be able to do this with just the US-05 sachet (I can probably get a hold of a second US-05 if need be) or am I just trying to do the impossible?

Any feedback would be appreciated (or offers of where I can get some Nottingham in a hurry in Brisvegas this afternoon :D ). Cheers!

GG - personally I would try to get some Nottingham and use that, but the 2 yeasts from the cans would also be ok, but put the fermenter in a baby bath or something as it may froth over. And run it at 20 degrees.

Thanks for the advice BribieG - will do.

Cheers, GG

While this isnt a typical Show us your toucan idea type post, I am intending to do a BribieG inspired Toucan stout headbanger brew as follows:

2x Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout cans (the brew store didnt have the generic Coopers Stout cans)

1kg Dex

Either 0.5kg LDME or 0.5kg crumbly, moist brown sugar (just to counteract the dryness a tad)

The question I have relates to yeast I have a sachet of US-05 and obviously the two kit yeast sachets. I am looking to finish this brew fully ASAP (ie achieve a stable FG ready for kegging by next Saturday). Am I able to achieve this by using two of the yeast sachets together (I will be putting this together shortly), will I be able to do this with just the US-05 sachet (I can probably get a hold of a second US-05 if need be) or am I just trying to do the impossible?

Any feedback would be appreciated (or offers of where I can get some Nottingham in a hurry in Brisvegas this afternoon :D ). Cheers!

I've got a pack of Notto if you need it this arvo :icon_cheers: .

Just put down my first Toucan:

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
500gm Brown Sugar
200gm Milo
Water to 26ltrs & both packets of yeast

OG : 1050, Tasted the testing wort OMG! :eek: ROASTED COFFEE & CHOCOLATE :eek:

Cant wait till its ready, will let you know how it goes

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
500gm Brown Sugar
200gm Milo

A cracker mate, have made similar without the milo and was great. How big is your fermentor? You will probably get a massive krausen with this one, could be messy!

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
500gm Brown Sugar
200gm Milo

Milo! Hadn't thought of that! Chocolatey and malty....whats not to work? ANyone else tried this?

Dunno if its been said yet, but this dark ale came out AWESOME!

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale Can
1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale Can
30g Fuggle pellets – 10g 15 mins, 20g steep
15g Cascade Dry hopped

My fer
Enter is 26 litres, & I'm brewing at 18 degrees so hopefully I'll be ok

Note to self: don't post on AHB forum until properly awake!

My fermenter is a 30litre

Back