Any point cleaning a keg that's going to be refilled straight away

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now we have evolved to discuss keg cleaning methods after deciding that it its generally accepted good practice to clean a used keg before filling it with the next batch of beer. Much better.

So I'd like your opinion on my method. One of my more anal mates insists on a full strip each and every time a keg is emptied. Now for me, that means re-assembly and testing the fittings for gas leaks as well. I have found many a post that leaks just a tad of gas under pressure and that is not good for my hip pocket on CO2 refills.

So, after my keg is empty, I backflush the dip tube by using a garden hose and using a kitchen fork pressed gently on the poppet to allow the water to enter. I rinse then use a smidge of PBW powder to scrub the inside and make sure these is no solid residue anywhere. I rinse again, invert and allow to dry. I then seal.

When it comes to brewday I make up 3 litres of starsan, and shake it all about. Leave for a few hours then blow out with CO2, leaving lid on. In the past I used to then fill the keg from fermenter via the liquid out coupler and in doing so the keg was never opened until it is next cleaned. However I've since changed the process a little and flushed the foam and remaining starsan out with a kettle of just boiled water. This minimises starsan in the finished product and allows a much sharper condensation line which I use to judge the level of the keg as I am filling.

Now I am wondering whether you guys think I should be dismantling the whole damn thing each and every time ?

I always dismantle and clean then sterilise when kegging up a new beer

Doesn't take long and gives me piece of mind

Plus if the beer is shit then I can't blame it on an infection and I either change the recipe or never brew it again

The question was "Is there any need to clean a keg before refill". The answer is yes, of course there is a need. To kill germs and sanitise. But, do you need to.......well, no you don't. The question should be, "do you clean kegs before refilling". We ain't the keg police. AHB members won't come and confiscate your keg if you don't. Ultimately do what you want.
Do I clean kegs between fills.............yes.

Steve

The best solution of all is having an extra keg on hand that's already been cleaned and sanitised previously at your leisure. When you unhook the empty keg don't degas it until your ready to clean it at a time that suits you.

If you have a few kegs you think are about to run out at around the same time, leaving them gassed and cleaning them all at once will also save you time overall.

SJW said:
The question was "Is there any need to clean a keg before refill". The answer is yes, of course there is a need. To kill germs and sanitise. But, do you need to.......well, no you don't. The question should be, "do you clean kegs before refilling". We ain't the keg police. AHB members won't come and confiscate your keg if you don't. Ultimately do what you want.
Do I clean kegs between fills.............yes.
Steve
No the question was 'is there any point'?
No-one needs to do anything bar breathe, eat, rehydrate, sleep and evacuate their bowels and kidneys from time to time. Pointwise, I like to think the list is bigger.

I only ever do a pull down ones a year, just clean and pressure test with a bit of soapy water for leaks, sanitise and fill, lubricate all O-Rings and good to go. If there are any leaks or fittings that don't feel right naturally pull them apart and check them.

I think disassembling most fittings wars then out faster than just leaving them alone. In any case the kegs are designed to be food grade and refilled repeatedly without major servicing.
Mark

Got a keg here from my brother and the beer dip tube is bent and you can't get it apart

I'll send you a beer from a keg that you can't dismantle

Prime example

Hope you like apple core flavoured beer

MmmmMmmmm

Takes two minutes and sanitiser is there for when you transfer so it's not a big hassle an in the end you are better safe than sorry IMO

Spohaw said:
Got a keg here from my brother and the beer dip tube is bent and you can't get it apart

I'll send you a beer from a keg that you can't dismantle

Prime example

Hope you like apple core flavoured beer

Hmm. You sound like you've just drunk half a keg of it. What's its ABV ?

The keg needs to be sanitised immediately prior to use. Life goes on whether its, hot, cold, dark or a complete lack of oxygen and especially in the presence of water.

Gelding said:
Hmm. You sound like you've just drunk half a keg of it. What's its ABV ?
Na just a four pack of sn Bigfoot

No idea on ABV I'll let you work it out

Pm me your address big spender

You'll see why you clean stuff properly haha

Latest posts

Back