Any point cleaning a keg that's going to be refilled straight away

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I only have one keg and I fill it from jerry cans used as secondary fermenters.

I've just emptied one which I know was not infected, and I cannot see any reason to clean it between brews.

I know you wouldn't do this repeatedly and obviously not ok to change from stout to lager, but apart from beer build up in the lines what's the point in cleaning it?

It's full of co2, is nice an cold and infection free.

And I'm thirsty now! :chug:

Yeah I've done it in the past with no ill effects, have just rinsed it to get rid of yeast and then filled it straight up again :)

Seeker said:
I only have one keg and I fill it from jerry cans used as secondary fermenters.

I've just emptied one which I know was not infected, and I cannot see any reason to clean it between brews.

I know you wouldn't do this repeatedly and obviously not ok to change from stout to lager, but apart from beer build up in the lines what's the point in cleaning it?

It's full of co2, is nice an cold and infection free.

And I'm thirsty now! :chug:
As quoted by John Wesley in 1778, Cleanliness is next to Godliness
Of course you could & probably will get away with it, but seriously, how long does it take to toss some sanitizer in there & then fill it?
Short cuts are bad practice in any brewing situation so it's up to you.
Not having a go at you seeker but you'll be pretty annoyed if you do get an infection for the sake of saving yourself a couple of minutes because your thirsty.
Clean that sucker!

You lazy shit!!
Exactly what Crusty said above.
When you add all the time involved in brewing you'll find it's 90% cleaning and 10% brewing, so clean it, and then do it again just to make sure you've got the message!

:lol:

I generally don't do the full keg strip in this situation. I rinse. Quick soak in PBW- rinse and then no-rinse sanitise. Have got away with missing the soak in the past. But....
Have also infected some beers trying to take other shortcuts.
I'm still not loving this cleaning gig though. Have to fight the urge ..... must.... clean.

Clean shmean! Just empty and fill. Why would it get infected? You wouldn't expect the last two pints to become infected under refridgeration if you left it in that keg for another 4 weeks, so why would the last 5ml remnants cause an infection? Live dangerously I say!

The point is - why would this be more risky than cleaning it?

The only reason I can see is if there is un-noticable infection in the keg it will likely grow more on the second usage.

Other than that the risks seem the same as washing and using it.

If it was clean then, why not now?

and lazy does come into it :lol:

3 kids under 4 and run my own business - time is short.

Twice at most.

It always gets a good spray rinse of any sediment with Melbourne Tap Water then a (starsan like) rinse then rinsed again with boiled water hey you know what it just makes sense to clean it every time after all that.

Twice at most.

I can see every reason to clean it. If there was no point breweries wouldn't bother. A few minutes cleaning and sanitizing a keg is alot better than wasting a days efforts brewing. No brainer in my opinion

I had tacos tonight, might reuse the same plate tomorrow night when I have left overs.

Yep, too risky for me to skip that step.

danestead said:
I had tacos tonight, might reuse the same plate tomorrow night when I have left overs.
I was about to write something similar about frying pans.

Might be fine but you really don't need to ask. Your dirty dishes, your choice.

Not cleaning (bright) tanks between fills is common practice in commercial breweries, particularly for bright filtered beer.
Saves time on cleaning, conserves CO2 not having to blow down a whole tank, and also energy re-equillibrating several hundred kilos of stainless back to ambient after a hot CIP.

Seeker said:
The point is - why would this be more risky than cleaning it?

The only reason I can see is if there is un-noticable infection in the keg it will likely grow more on the second usage.

Other than that the risks seem the same as washing and using it.

If it was clean then, why not now?
It's not clean, any more than any other thing that's had foodstuff sitting in it. It's the very definition of not clean.
It's more risk because it's dirty.
By all means do it - your keg. Doesn't need our approval but the answer won't change.

Apart from everything that you have been told already, taking the valves out will give you a chance to inspect O rings that will eventually wear and cause leaks.

danestead said:

Wouldn't the correct analogy be washing up and drying your plate before going back for seconds?

I'm drawing an analogy between a cornellius keg and a bright beer tank (which in some brew pubs are also used as serving tanks).

Kegs aren't cleaned because they go out to venues, they aren't stored refrigerated and their is no microbiological quality assurance once it returns to the brewery, aside form having to re-clean it. I clean my commercial kegs and home-brew kegs between every use, because I deem the risk higher than the reward, but as I say there are instances where it's acceptable not to clean a vessel. I.e. a bright tank, filled with bright filtered and/or sterile filtered beer.

Back