Another wild yeast fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot the starting photo. That isn't activity, just star san and froth from pouring in.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402304936.147506.jpg

24 hours in. Good yeast cake, airlock activity at 1 bobble per 3 seconds and more importantly a lovely fresh smell coming from the airlock.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402386552.097912.jpg

So the first brew is almost finished, just trying to eke out the last couple of points. I have tried it and it is a bit hard to say what the yeast is adding to the flavour. My first problem is that it is at around 30ibu's (should have made that a lot less). Secondly, the abv is only about 2.9% bad planning on my part.
So far I would say that the yeast is very clean tasting, nothing jumping out at me, certainly nothing like the funkiness I was worried about.

The colour change a bit? Taste like beer? If so what type

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

It has lightened up, will take a photo tomorrow.

Yes it tastes like beer, it tastes like a low alcohol pale ale with quite a bit of bitterness, which it is :)

What is interesting, is a bit of tangy, almost fruity first taste, which I am not sure if it is coming from the Victoria Secret hop or the yeast. I will definitely say that is a clean tasting yeast. I think the next thing for me to do is when I make my next beer, a IPA or APA, i'll make an extra 5L, and run it through with he higher gravity. I'll consider this as a good 5L starter to build the yeast bed, which looks great.

I'll leave it a few more days and bottle it anyway, but it will be hard to really gauge the quality of the yeast with only 2.8%

Ok, so 5l trial gave me a low alcohol bitter ale. I have taken the yeast bed and currently going for a full brew to get a better feel for this wild yeast.

Had a coopers Australian pale ale can so using that with:

1kg Briess golden light dma
150g crystal light
100g carapils

20g Victoria secret @ 15 mins
10g Amarillo @ 15 mins

20g cascade @ 5 mins
20g Amarilo @ 5 mins

Ferment at 18-20c

Will take a photo once krausen starts.

awesome work mate. would you consider making something really pale and bland, like a cream ale, or an all pils-malt ale with perhaps only 11-15ish ibu of something? might really get a feel for any yeast contributions then?

Yeah that is what I planned for the 5l just pale but I over hopped and didn't give it enough grain. I'll definitely rinse after this brew and use again.

The bitter hoppy low alcohol 5l batch got dumped on top half a keg of bland Mexican blonde. Tastes good now ;)

I started another culture last weekend from some gorse flowers that I collected from a heritage listed hedge at the site of northern Tasmania's first European settlement. Kind of wanky I know but who doesn't love a good story!
It's active now and ready to be stepped up before I brew with it in the next couple weeks.

Nice work.

My Petri dishes have arrived so I am going to start having a look at trying different wild yeasts and see if I can't pick out some interesting strains.

Going up to country Vic up near aubury wading a soon, so going to take some vials of wort and leave the open over night.

Damn, was going to keep some of the pre pitched wort aside for the Petri dishes. Bugger, now have make a starter and I am out of dme.

24 hours in and a huge big creamy krausen with a wonderful smell, getting excited about my Newport Ale Yeast.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403512095.608797.jpg

I bottled my first beer tonight with my original wild yeast capture. It is exceptionally clean. That's all there us to say really. It may as well be American Ale. I guess that's ok but I like de funk.

I am conditioning mine. Just finished a week ago. Pretty good so far, clean taste at end of primary. I pulled the yeast cake and gave it a clean for round two. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405254322.723832.jpg

After brewing a quadrupel on June 7th, I used the second runnings to create a 7L beer of some sort (I guess a dubbel!) with a small handful of 2012 Czech Saaz and left it out overnight in the garden beside a lemon tree.

This is what it looked like a month ago (about two weeks after being left out):
10467795_281536122026972_247151296_a.jpg

When I tasted it around two weeks ago (had gone from 1.048 -> 1.007 from memory), the yeast imparted what seemed to be a strong nail polish / paint thinner taste, with super concentrated lemon rind bitterness (without any of the delicious lemon tartness). Well, I assume it was the yeast anyway, never had a beer taste like that before. I nearly dumped the lot (I couldn't finish the sample!) but have instead left it for a couple of weeks, and am now planning on putting it into bottles tonight and leaving it alone for 6-12 months unless I find it tastes better than the last sample I had.

Other than washing and chucking it in the fridge, I'm not really familiar with long term storage of yeast, but I'd really like to find out if this yeast is at all viable and worth continuing with (and sharing with anyone else interested). I was thinking of setting aside a small amount of my next couple of brews (say 1-2L) and after they've finished fermentation add some of this yeast and leave them for 6-12 months as well. Anyone got some suggestions on 1-2L fermentation vessels? Otherwise I'll probably just grab a couple of 5L demijohns and hope for the best.

Some other pics at 4, 5, 6 days after brewday:
10387851_393106237497136_89149606_g.jpg
10413271_509207229178706_363646717_g.jpg
927341_572030916250557_801605514_g.jpg

Nail polish taste often gets mentioned, usually a byproduct of the yeast - ageing ought to help a lot of that to break down.

I've been a bit quiet because I've no idea what to do with the Brett that I have. And I've distracted myself with other projects too. I'll get back to my Brett project soon.

TimT said:
Nail polish taste often gets mentioned, usually a byproduct of the yeast - ageing ought to help a lot of that to break down.
Well, I tasted it the other night, and sure enough that horrible taste has virtually disappeared and the sample was quite drinkable. Not a normal sort of Brett funk, but definitely a strange funk going on. Down to 1.004 from 1.048 in six weeks, still on the yeast cake.

I really should get around to either bottling it or putting it into some sort of secondary vessel soon.

1941176_480303135437167_1995782071_g.jpg

My new yeast starter went into a saison on sunday. It is smashing the 5L demi now, smelling funky and delicious!

Latest posts

Back