Angle Grinder Disc For Cutting Ss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, using a 7 1/4 power saw last october 19th, i cut off my whole thumb, had it sown back on....who wants to see photos???....do you want fries with that???

Show me the MONEYYYY..

NO show me the photos you silly *******!!!

:eek:

OK, it might be me, but I am having a bit of a loss of faith in the Makita SS cutting discs at Bunnings.
They didn't seem to last.
First time using an angle grinder though so not sure if I'm perhaps using it a bit wrong.

Any suggestions on what other brand I could buy if not these? They had the Flexovits there at bunnings and I could scope Cairns Hardware tommorow morning for something.
Cutting open a keg btw, halfway there.

i did one with a makita. worked fine still running but then again it was with a 1mm disc

are they the 1mm blades??? I got a heap from work and the SS ones do not last long. The flexovit ones are good I use them most, not sure how good the makita ones are. When using thin blades dont cut right threw do a few passes and on the final dont dig it right in just have the blade going deep enough to cut threw.

If they bind or you try to cut the whole lot and plung the blade it it will shatter a little and gets rough and bounces around and wears out very fast.

Need a bit more info.

How thick are they? They come in 1mm and 3mm, get the 3mm.
How far do you think you cut with 1 blade? Should get 400-500mm or around 1 keg minimum.
How thick was the steel? A keg is 1.6mm or is it 2mm, I forget.

did one keg with one disc. it was a 1mm disc.
it was a plastic coated kegs for info

OK, it might be me, but I am having a bit of a loss of faith in the Makita SS cutting discs at Bunnings.
They didn't seem to last.
First time using an angle grinder though so not sure if I'm perhaps using it a bit wrong.

Any suggestions on what other brand I could buy if not these? They had the Flexovits there at bunnings and I could scope Cairns Hardware tommorow morning for something.
Cutting open a keg btw, halfway there.
Buy Flexovit Inox 1mm mini slitter from the supplier in a box , cheap. Bunnings sucks.
If you dont have a supplier local I can get them and sent at cost +post.
1 mm slitters dont last what ever brand, the point is they cut and the heat is dissipated buy the disc disappearing.
Nev

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, 1mm discs.

Got 2, was doing exactly as suggested, just taking it around scoring the steel on the first couple of passes, the first disc just disintegrated. The outer bit separated from teh middle bit. Weird, maybe I overtightened the nut. Used the second one, take it slowly again, went through the disc and managed to cut out around halfway around the keg.

As I said, first time using an agle grinder myself, only ever used a bench grinder or a surface grinder before.

Hence the question. I'll buy Flexovit tomorrow then.

sounds like your putting to much pressure on the disk warping it. If the disk bends they will come apart where the locking nut is on the grinder. Also make sure the flat part of the locking nut is on the disk not the stepped part. If you are cutting a circle then the back edge of the blade is overcutting and bending so will wear out. As I said once they get chipped or rough (you will know they jump about instead of cutting smooth) they wear out so fast. You can correct this by going so softly till it wears out flat and cuts smooth again. SS is prob one of the most unforgiving metals to cut so dont expect it to be a breeze :p

From my experience take you time and let the grinder cut itself around.
Ss is a hard metal. The thin discs are the best.

Flexovit ones are good quality, that's all I use. The thin wheels cut easier as there is less metal in contact with the wheel, less heat, less discolouration of the metal. As you're new to angle grinders don't be tempted to clean up the rough cut edge with a thin INOX wheel as any side pressure will cause them to shatter. Use a thick metal grinding wheel but make sure you get iron free so you don't contaminate the ss (or a half round hand file if your not fussed about this). They also sell wheels that look like scouring pads that can clean your whole keg up like new if you want the bling look. One other thought on your disintegrating wheel - make sure the locking nut is around the right way so the locator is down into the wheel holding it in place. Hope this helps.

Yep & yep. Didn't expect to go perfect first time around but the wheel that just snapped threw me off a bit. Also noticed to put the side with the writing into the grinder (dunno if it matters but ... ). Definitely am putting the nuts on right. Just the way it came and I put it back on the way it comes off, makes it easy to remember, actually I scuffed the outer side of the nut a little to make it look different just in case :p (OK.. that was accidental.. haha).

I was reading on somewhere to have an acute angle to the cutting surface, now that didn't make sense to me at all but I did try and obviously didn't work very well for the first wheel. Lesson learnt.

I won't be cleaning up the cuts with the grinder, thats what the ******* file is for :) A couple of different rat tails will smooth it off good. That scrubbing wheel is a good idea though! I have another keg that looks positively manky, I mean to put together a frame for the whole thing soon so it will be a good exercise to take a pic for the brew rigs thread hey. I love bling.

Get flexovit INOX. check. Was reading somewhere that there are Pferd (some german company) wheels out there that are pretty good too, will check the hardware shop. I hate buying tools from bunnings but usually they are the only ones open when I'm not at work and otherwise I end up buying from online, a couple of really good online retailers (esp in sydney). Really appreciate your offer to ship some too Nev, I saw some flexovits so should be OK... Get those pumps in stock again!!

Ss is a hard metal.

Technically not true. It work hardens incredibly quickly. As you drill or cut the area you're working on it becomes harder and harder. I'm itching to build my new rig so i can cut and drill and play about with vessels.

Nothing wrong with the Pferd disks , I get them in the box from NQ bolts and fasteners , scott st ... In Mossman a flexovit disk is around $4.50 ea , When buying the box of Pferd they come in around $2 ...

Should get more than a keg cut per disk , but you will get used to the feel of the cut and they will last longer , with more practice ..lol

good luck

cheers

+1 on the Pferd 1mm for cutting ss, and the local rather than bunnings :)

Got the job done :)

used barely 4mm of one flexovit to cut all that was required, incl widening the hole a bit. Didn't get to check out the NQ bolts shop though, all the locals were closed for Saturday, tried 3 places :S Bah. Whatcanyado!

Really happy with how easy it was with the right disc, used the rat-tail files to deburr and a fine flap wheel to polish up the hole and make everything really clean. Looks pretty round to me, no markers used :p

Back