Angle Grinder Disc For Cutting Ss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Gday guys,

I took the advise of some on here and went and bought a grinder disc for my dad's makita 100mm angle grinder.

I bought the ultra thin "flexovit" discs that are meant to be suitable for cutting stainless.

Now my question is... have I bought the right disc?

The disc that was on the grinder was different if shape with a raised centre section. Yet the disc I bought is completely flat.

discs.jpg

The new disc is on the left... obviously... and yes I realise the old disc is a masonry disc.

Now when I went to put the new disc on the grinder it is loose, as it is too thin. Now do I simply have to take the disc back and buy the right shaped one or do I need to buy additional flanges to make the thin disc fit?

Once I get this soughted I can cut a nice hole in the top of my big arse keg and get moving on the AG setup.... by the way I am going to paint here fire engine red... just for cool factor :p

Thanks.

Pok :beer:

Masonry and metal grinding discs are thicker

You have bought a metal cutting disc, if you look at the disc or the picture you posted you can see on the top left of the label that it shows the mounting position, usually you need to turn the flange over, so that it grips and locates the disc correctly.

I turned the flange over however the reverse side is for a large disc (large hole in the middle).

The masonry disc i removed has the same size mounting hole (centre hole) as the cutting disc.... HOWEVER... the cutting disc is thinner... as you said... and while it locates properly it does not sit tight as it is thinner than the locator on the flange.... does this make sense???

Do I need another disc or flange???

Thanks for all the help.

Pok

I turned the flange over however the reverse side is for a large disc (large hole in the middle).

The masonry disc i removed has the same size mounting hole (centre hole) as the cutting disc.... HOWEVER... the cutting disc is thinner... as you said... and while it locates properly it does not sit tight as it is thinner than the locator on the flange.... does this make sense???

Thanks for all the help.

Pok

Hi Pok,

I'm tool challenged but I can tell you that Flexovit disc will go through stainless like a hot knife through butter. You have the right disc, you just need to position the flange correctly.

Ian...

Gday guys,

I took the advise of some on here and went and bought a grinder disc for my dad's makita 100mm angle grinder.

I bought the ultra thin "flexovit" discs that are meant to be suitable for cutting stainless.

Now my question is... have I bought the right disc?

The disc that was on the grinder was different if shape with a raised centre section. Yet the disc I bought is completely flat.

View attachment 14902

The new disc is on the left... obviously... and yes I realise the old disc is a masonry disc.

Now when I went to put the new disc on the grinder it is loose, as it is too thin. Now do I simply have to take the disc back and buy the right shaped one or do I need to buy additional flanges to make the thin disc fit?

Once I get this soughted I can cut a nice hole in the top of my big arse keg and get moving on the AG setup.... by the way I am going to paint here fire engine red... just for cool factor :p

Thanks.

You need to have bought a Inox(iron free) disc to cut stainless.Mini slitter is what they are called.Its a 1mm thick disc by memory.It wont contanate the stainless with iron.Did you get the same size diam disc with matching center hole if so it should just screw down onto your base mount no problems.Does your top screw down have a raised lip on it ? If so I think you have a problem.Give Makita a ring and they will put you on the right track.I have DEwalt and all discs go on no problems.

Thanks for all the help.

Pok
the flexovit disk is for cutting the other for grinding etc... the disk should fit just like the grinding one with the writing side up, all grinders are the same. If it doesn't fit properly or your not feeling safe with it go to bunnings and they have grinders for $17 if it does the job 3 or 4 times its paid for itself
cheers :chug:

Ok thanks for the help so far guys, after fiddling with the flange etc... I still havent got any further.

The base flange has a raised section to locate the disc on.. however this too high... the old grinding disc is 3mm thick and the new cutting disc 1mm thick.... so the new one is loose :( .... maybe I should give makita a ring... in the mean time keep the info coming, surely someone out there on AHB will know the answer.

Thanks, Pok :)

No. No. No.
Take the nut off the grinder in front of the disc.
Do NOT move the flange, leave it as it is.
Put the cutting disc on.
Turn the LOCKNUT over so it butts the flat side of the nut up against the thinner disc, and tighten up.
One side of the locknut will be slightly raised, the other should be flat. use the flat side.
If that doesn;t work it's different to every other grinder I've seen in my life.

6.JPG

The flange that holds the disc
1.JPG

The flat side
2.JPG

The raised side
3.JPG

With the disc on but no locknut
4.JPG

Mounted with the locknut the wrong way round
5.JPG

Mounted correctly, with the flat side to the disc.

Clear now I hope, didn't think all the worded descriptions were doing any good.....happy cutting :)

The best discs i found for a clean cut where are brand called

Klingspor
I used to sell these to panel beaters, exhaust shops and alike.
The exhaust man said they cut a stainless steel exhaust pipe like butter and you barely needed to run a file over them to make it a smooth cut.
They are very thin but strong, and last around 5 times a lesser brand.
They are from germany and got many a praise for the product.

Southern Smash Supplies sells them quite cheap, if you buy 10 they are like $1.45-$1.50 each

Ok thanks for the help so far guys, after fiddling with the flange etc... I still havent got any further.

The base flange has a raised section to locate the disc on.. however this too high... the old grinding disc is 3mm thick and the new cutting disc 1mm thick.... so the new one is loose :( .... maybe I should give makita a ring... in the mean time keep the info coming, surely someone out there on AHB will know the answer.

Thanks, Pok :)
Ok I have seen the other posts.Best dont F.... with it if its not right.Could end up with a bit of aussie claret on your face.Ask the experts Makita.

This has to be the problem. If you look at the photo below... sorry its bad... I took it on my phone.. anyway it shows the centre of the flange which is taller than the cutting disc. This then means when you tighten the nut on the other side it stops on the top of the flange.. leaving the disc loose.

13092007066.jpg

So... either I need a thicker disc? 2mm? a different flange?? or another grinder?

Pok

A word of advice once you do get this disc on:

Be light-handed and let the grinder do the work. Don't push or flex the disc - it may shatter and because it's so thin it doesn't take much force to break it.
Score the surface that you want to cut, eg if cutting out a circular hole, go all the way around first, don't try to push a cut right through, as this will lead to tears! Concentrate on keeping the disc undistorted and the disc will last a lot longer also.

I Agree with Domonsura

The flat flange should clamp against the disk and the center hole should be a snug fit

Dont worry about the raised hump that some disks have ..some dont. Mainly the grinding disks and flap wheels have the raised hump....its a clearance thing.

Make sure you buy the CORRECT SIZE..there are 100mm and 110mm....they look the same in the shop, but the center hole is a different size

This may be you problem.

And try to get proper stainless cutting disks...they are designed for stainless and dont contain the iron filings

Another good brand is Pferd...they are REALLY good, but you wont get them at bunnings....you will need to source a trade supply shop...but the price is worth the longevity

domonsura,

Thanks for the photo. The lock nut that I have is flat on both sides. Also I noticed that the disc that is on your grinder in the photo has a raised section in the middle like the disc I initially removed.

I think I shall talk to the pro's....

Thanks again.

Pok

I Agree with Domonsura

The flat flange should clamp against the disk and the center hole should be a snug fit

Dont worry about the raised hump that some disks have ..some dont. Mainly the grinding disks and flap wheels have the raised hump....its a clearance thing.

Make sure you buy the CORRECT SIZE..there are 100mm and 110mm....they look the same in the shop, but the center hole is a different size

This may be you problem.

And try to get proper stainless cutting disks...they are designed for stainless and dont contain the iron filings

Another good brand is Pferd...they are REALLY good, but you wont get them at bunnings....you will need to source a trade supply shop...but the price is worth the longevity

The Inner diameter of the disc is not the problem... it is the thickness verses the depth/height of the locating section on the flange.. this means the disc sits below the top of the flange, leaving a gap of around 0.5-1mm.

Pok

Thanks for the photo. The lock nut that I have is flat on both sides.

the locknut should be slightly countersunk on one side to allow this exact thing to happen...

Also I noticed that the disc that is on your grinder in the photo has a raised section in the middle like the disc I initially removed.

no it isn't it just looks that way, it's perfectly flat and 1mm thick.

The cutting discs also sit slightly below the centre of the flange on my grinder, they do on most of them (well all of them that I've seen.)
If you can't put that cutting disc on a makita, you just convinced me to make sure I never ever ever buy a makita......I'm going to look at the makitas in the tool section in the morning. I can't believe it doesn't fit :huh:

The Inner diameter of the disc is not the problem... it is the thickness verses the depth/height of the locating section on the flange.. this means the disc sits below the top of the flange, leaving a gap of around 0.5-1mm.

Pok

Well..yes..you got me on that one. Forgot that the talk is about those really thin disks, wich will have a problem if you dont have a counter sunk locknut arrangement

But the center hole diam is critical...I have heard of bloke who tried to center larger disks on small grinders ( and taking the guard off )...you should have seen the scars.... :unsure:

I think the locking nut is my problem. It is flat on both sides and is not countersunk in the middle... well not enough to accept the flange. I guess I need a new locking nut. The locking nut may not be the original?? The grinder is 20 yrs old anway.

Cheers, Pok

Gday guys,

Sometimes when refitting the lock nut I have inadvertently put it on upside down, thereby allowing the disc to feel loose. Just make sure you have it fitted right side up and it should screw down to a snug fit.

Cheers, Hoges.

Sometimes when refitting the lock nut I have inadvertently put it on upside down, thereby allowing the disc to feel loose. Just make sure you have it fitted right side up and it should screw down to a snug fit.
Cheers, Hoges.

Neither way works... :(

Latest posts

Back