An internal-keg filtering system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im thinking... as an improvement on the design:

instead of having the extra tubing, put a slightly bigger hole in the top (where you have the hose attached)
find a rubber (or silicone of course) grommet that fits snugly around the dip tube (8mm i would assume)
slide the dip tube straight into the filter with the help if a little lube of course ;)

SPS said:
This is a really nice idea. I'm wondering if it is possible to repurpose my craftbrewer filter to filter the beer in-line? From keg to filter to faucet? So the filter sits outside the keg between it and the tap? Or is there something similar to this we can already buy off the shelf?
I saw somebody on here do exactly that a while ago, I'm pretty sure he called it "filtering on the fly".

I have another idea thanks to this thread, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Yeah, I've seen that thread too ;)

n87 said:
slide the dip tube straight into the filter
Yeah that might work too - might be awkward to get it all lined up, but with the right sized grommet it could do the trick. I initially thought that there might be early keg-blow issues in that configuration - as the liquid level drops below the filter - but on further reflection I think it would be OK. I'll see if I can find one and give it a go.

So made my own version of this before work today.

Still might refine it but it's similar to dent's design except it can be assembled/ disassembled as needed. Which I like for cleaning.

The components used are;

Filter absolute 1 micron cut down to 70mm $20
Thin white copping board from Kmart (2 pack) $4
Silicone macarone baking tray Kmart $5
M8 x 100mm nut and bolt (pack of 2) 316 marine grade Bunnings $10
16mm cable gland - omega brand from middys electrical $3.50

Assorted tools.

So I basically figure I could make 3 filters for $75. They can be fitted and removed easily. Everything is food safe and the units can be pulled apart for cleaning when needed. The cable gland is a cool thing, it's basically a bulk head fitting, but when you screw top down it causes a gasket to clamp down on the dip tube. So you feed the dip tube into the filter and with some bending and manoeuvring you won't need to cut too much off it.

Same beer filtered one on the left. Photo doesn't do it justice.

image.jpg

Now you're just being a smart-a&%#,Tahoose. BTW, great job and I'm bloody jealous.

I'll post up photos when I get a chance - maybe a few days.

Then I'll post the refined version.

This would work quite well for the people using commercial kegs (A/D type etc...) because the spear is usually larger in diameter and is located directly in the center if the keg. Slip the filter straight on the spear and away you go ☺may still need an oring or gasket but less modification would be need

I don't think it would work. The filter would be too big to fit through the hole.

Tahoose said:
I don't think it would work. The filter would be too big to fit through the hole.
Any chance you're able to post up the photos of your filter build? :)

Tahoose said:
I'll try and get on to it today. :D
Any luck with those photos? I am interested in trying this out when I keg my next beer but am curious to see how you've assembled everything... Conveniently I already have a filter to try it out on.

The stainless version I made was a bit of a fail - even with the silicon gaskets it could still bypass somewhat, probably on the cut-up side of the filter. In the end I don't think the stainless is worthwhile apart from the wank factor.

I made a few more of the original kind - they have been working surprisingly well.

Filtering doesn't fix everything though - a crystal bright day-old lager still isn't fit to drink yet :)

IMG_0316.jpg
We had a go at this and found that the caps off some spray paint cans fitted perfectly. I should add that couple i tried were a bit loose; but after cutting down half a dozen, I managed two that did the job. The photo shows the first effort.
The second attempt is a lot more professional, but it was immersed in beer before I remembered the photo. For this I ratted the lids off my wife's Blackmores Witch Doctor pills, pared out the thread in the cap, gave the sides a good rough up with 40 grit paper to provide some sort of key into the polypropylene surface and stuck them on with 5 minute epoxy. I then put another bend high up the dip tube (nice gentle curve so it passes thru the keg fitting) and played around with the two bends until the end of the tube was centred and 1/2 inch from the bottom of the keg. That way I didnt have to cut the tube. I did grind the bottom end at 45 degree just in case the opening shut itself against the bottom of the filter.

image.jpeg

I found that the flat bottom of the dip tube was jamming up against the inside of the board so I cut a couple of notches in the side of the tube.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back