Anawbs 2006 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thread hijack on

[/quote]
Multi talented I think not, beginners luck I think Yes :excl: :excl:
Winemaking compared to brewing I thought was a lot simlper as it mainly requires patience
[/quote]

If you describe winemaking the way you did, then brewing would be along the lines of;

add sugar and can of extract to water, mix.
add yeast
wait
when air trap stops bubbling fill bottles and add a teaspoon of sugar.
wait
taste
wait
taste
wait
taste
and if it tastes like crap then the extract was a bit old.

Winemaking and brewing can be as complex or as simple as you choose and the results completely independent. If you put the effort in an understand what you are doing then we all know the difference it can make in beer, same goes for wine.

hijack off

Fair call, Kirem, and not a thread hijack, in my opinion. If it was, I am going to further it.

One of the most interesting aspects of my whole involvement with ANAWBS has been the opportunity to mix with, and learn from, some really good amateur wine makers.

They are certainly as passionate and committed to their hobby of choice as the best of the brewers I know. As for the quality of the wines they produce, it can be simply outstanding :super:

What has surprised me is how easily the one group can misunderstand what the other group does. Knowledgable in their own field, it is quite surprising how ignorant they can be of the other.

Hence a brewer can oversimplify and reduce the winemaker's art to a few basic steps in a process.

On the other hand, I have been frankly astonished at how many quality amateur winemakers have been amazed that some of us brewers actually make beer from raw ingredients, and don't rely on a tin opener and a domestic electric kettle ;)

Often there is a worrying gulf between the two camps.

That is why I am so impressed by people like Mudsta, and Berndt Wulf (also on the organising committee) who can achieve a degree of success in both camps. I have a glass, in each hand, raised to those types :beer: :party:

Received my booklet in the mail today, along with the 2007 anawbs classes. Not too sure about some of the photos in there though :ph34r:

Received my mash padle medal and entry results in the post today, consistent comments from the judges, happy with their comments, very informative. Thanks to all involved.

Received my booklet in the mail today, along with the 2007 anawbs classes. Not too sure about some of the photos in there though :ph34r:

It must have been one of the better ones Kai, the jug is no where to be seen and your and Peter's glasses are all but empty!

Photos must have been taken by a winemaker though. I didn't think you could take so many and yet avoid all of Tafe's nice bright shiny brewing bling :(

I got my results book in the mail today. Well done i say to wee stu and the rest of the commitee!!
For the logistical nigthmare of printing and posting, I think you guys have got them out rather speedy. Also a neat and good looking booklet as usual.

Now....I dont bite into any fights on wine or beer is harder to make. As mentioned in these posts, you can take each brewing type into what ever detail you wish.
Kit and kilo or mash for beer, or those wine kit packs or grapes for wine.

Some of the steps for both are exactly the same, racking etc. And many of the rules of thumb like oxygen exposure ring true to both also. I think to be able to make a good beer or wine is a finely crafted skill. If you wish to perfect the art of either then attention to detail, good techniques and quality ingredients are crucial.

As for which is harder to make.....Try both, put them up for judging and see how you go.

Regards,

Mudsta :beerbang:

:D Thanks to everyone involved, the trophies, medal and certificates all look real professional.
The feedback from the judges is very useful as well. Looking foward to next years comp. Barley wine enrty being made next week! (Great way to get rid of excess hops)

:D Thanks to everyone involved, the trophies, medal and certificates all look real professional.
The feedback from the judges is very useful as well. Looking foward to next years comp. Barley wine enrty being made next week! (Great way to get rid of excess hops)

Ditto, like last year, the trophies, medals and certificates are excellent. Thanks to all involved for running such a great comp!

Cheers - Snow.

I'll hopefully have a barleywine or two in next year's show too. And a tripel. I'd better get brewing now!

thanks to every one at anawbs.

my paddle, medal and prizes (thanks brissybrew) arrived yesterday. pity about the mix up with the medals though. i guess the engravers thought silver meant second like sport.

Good Day
I received all scoresheets etc and really want to thank all sponsors, especially Grumpys, Jovial Monk and Mashmaster who sponsored the awards I was fortunate enough to receive. Can't wait to use the mashmaster thermometer (I can actually easily read the temps).
Also thanks to all the volunteers that have spent so much time and effort to make the comp such a success.
:beer:

My bag of goodies turned up today too - a really professional effort with the book and the medals and all that. Awesome. Thanks to the organisers and judges, i'll be sending some beers next year.

I got my prizes the other day.

Some hops from craftbrewer, very nice :super: ... A medal for my porter, very nice :beerbang: ... A Broken trophey for my English Pale Ale :(

Broken_Trophey.jpg

Thanks very much Australia Post.

The whole package was posted in a padded bag. I would have been happy to pay for extra postage/labour costs to send it more securely had I known earlier. Please don't take this post as a shot at the organisers, who did a great job in puttng the time and effort into this comp... I'm just upset at the lack of care taken in the parcels delivery.

It happens a fair bit and I'd just like to put it out to comp organisers to offer the choice of an upgraded postage for prizes at the expense of the entrant?

Hopefully I can fix it

:angry: mine arrived in simular condition but the missus had it all glued back together b4 i got home that night

My stuff arrived the other day - and right chuffed I am !!

Thank you Mashmasters, Gulf Brewery and of course the people of ANAWBS. As previously stated; very informative comments, great goodies, and a professionally run event. A great testiment to a lot of hard work

thread hijack on
Multi talented I think not, beginners luck I think Yes :excl: :excl:
Winemaking compared to brewing I thought was a lot simlper as it mainly requires patience
[/quote]

SNIPPO'd

Winemaking and brewing can be as complex or as simple as you choose and the results completely independent. If you put the effort in an understand what you are doing then we all know the difference it can make in beer, same goes for wine.

hijack off
[/quote]

No need to get bent out of shape over it :) it was simply meant to be an oversimplified tongue in cheek version of a winemaking process to point out that its something the average brewer is capable of having a go at. In one way it is a little bit easier as you don't have to go through the mash process of say AG brewing as the sugars are already there in the grape but then its a lot harder as you can't manipulate the raw ingredients as much.

Already I am looking at my judging sheets trying to work out how I can manipulate the grapes and process to better my results, and I agree that does take skill which I don't have at the moment.

PS you still get to call it a bad vintage when it turns out like crap tho :p

I am back on line after a week without internet access :angry: .

Jazza and Mike, can you email or PM me your details, in particular your real names :p

I don't know if we have any money left in the kitty for replacement trophies, but I shall certainly look into it.

If anyone else received trophies in a similar fashion please let me know.

Last year or little 'tombstone' trophies were very robust, we will have to look at something similar next year.

I hope entrants found the judging sheets useful. In the final analysis, feedback is probably more valuable than any amount of ornamental bling. Mind you it is nice to get some bling, even nicer to get it in one piece ;)

awrabest, stu

I hope entrants found the judging sheets useful. In the final analysis, feedback is probably more valuable than any amount of ornamental bling.

If anyone got a sheet that I filled in you will find my name and email at the top. Feel free to send me an email with any questions about my scoring. I am more than happy to share what I can.

I recieved a replacement trophey today.

I really wasn't expecting it to be replaced so it was an uplifting suprise. It was very safely packed this time.

Thankyou very much to the ANAWBS team, you have really gone to an extra effort.

Back