Anawbs 2006 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pleased with my 2 x 1st & 1 x 2nd, especially as the beer I though would do best, bombed through infection - One of the pitfalls of just pouring them from the tap 2 weeks before judgement day I guess.
As requested, I've posted the Alt recipe, intially inspired by Batz & tweaked with a few of my new grains.

cheers Ross

Well done to the winners.

Very happy with my placings... very tight in the mash paddle!

Thankyou to all involved in the comp. I know the effort is taxing at times so here is to everyone involved :beer:

I scored first in the Aussie Dark Ale and the American Brown. Very happy indeed! :)

The Aussie Dark is actually a BYO magazine recipe for Newcastle Brown Ale from a couple of issues back. I had to make two beers - a darker old (aged) and an amber (fresh) - and then had to blend them together.

The American Brown Recipe was actually another BYO recipe for an Amber Ale a year or so ago. I had some darker cystal than required and it made the brew darker. Hallertau used for bittering and Cascade for flavour and aroma.

I'll get them up in the next day or so - moving/sorting out a house so life a bit topsy turvey at the moment.

Congratulations all.

Not surprised to see the guys around S.E.Qld getting some great awards. You guys brew bloody great beer.

Looks like when I move to the west I'll be surrounded by more great brewers. Hopefully Ash will save some of his beer for me ;)

Pat

At risk of opening the label can of worms

Isn't Batz's label a Franko creation?

Congratulations Franko

Cheers

Yes it is,and it was entered by Franko along with 5 others of his creations

Enough about labels now

Batz

So, you're going to send the 2nd to Franko???

...I'll supply the 'white out' for the name on the certificate ;) :beer:

For some reason, the way Batz fills in his entry forms the data entry people always seem to record him as the Batz Syndicate

Maybe this time the label was a syndicate entry, with Franko producing the label at Batz request and possible design. Whatever the case, I am sure Batz will find a way to divide the spoils, which are more than just a certificate. It was the Batz submitted "Batz Scottish" label which one the prize, btw.

Back to the beer, there is an earlier version of my Fat ******* Crystal Rye Stout recipe, which took out second in its class in both ANAWBS and SABSOSA this year, lurking at this start of this old ANAWBS 2005 recipes thread from last year.

When I find some time, I will add the updated version to the AHB recipe database.

For some reason, the way Batz fills in his entry forms the data entry people always seem to record him as the Batz Syndicate

Maybe this time the label was a syndicate entry, with Franko producing the label at Batz request and possible design. Whatever the case, I am sure Batz will find a way to divide the spoils, which are more than just a certificate. It was the Batz submitted "Batz Scottish" label which one the prize, btw.

Back to the beer, there is an earlier version of my Fat ******* Crystal Rye Stout recipe, which took out second in its class in both ANAWBS and SABSOSA this year, lurking at this start of this old ANAWBS 2005 recipes thread from last year.

When I find some time, I will add the updated version to the AHB recipe database.

Hell I didn't even look at the labels results
Yes my label was designed by Franko,I sent my Scottish label in and later learnt of the "have to do it yourself rule" read ANAWBS earlier thread,I will past the award on to Franko...and thanks Franko :super:
I knew it was a ripper of a label !

Batz

Congrats all price and place getters.
Allthough I brew only because the I cannot afford the stuff in bottlo', I may join you guys, ones the kids are out of home. In 20 years or so lol

Well done again :D :super:

matti :chug:

I will pass the award on to Franko...and thanks Franko :super:
I knew it was a ripper of a label !

This may not be an entirely satisfactory resolultion of a delicate issue, but now, if in a round about way, Franko's mantle will have a piece to fill it ;)

I was planning of posting earlier but Im just coming out of a three day alcohol bender. Dam hangovers!!

Congrats to all ANAWBS award winners!!! :super:

I would just like to say thanks to the ANAWBS commitee, the judges, the stewards and all other involved.
A personal thanks goes to all those who donated prizes and trophys. (esp craftbrewer - Ross, Mashmaster - Brizzybrew, and The steam exchange)

It turned out to be a good day with plenty more entrants than last year. I managed to pick up a few awards and it was really great to catch up with many of the AHB crew. The beers at the wheaty afterwards went down a treat!! Gota love good beer and pizza. :party: .......and rug munchers that can play pool!!!

FYI: We ended up having a party at a mates house and the rug muchers dropped round for a few brews. From there myself and my mate Thomzy went to the rug munchers til stumps. A bloody good nite!!!

Well til we meet again fellow brewers,

Cheers,

Mudsta :beerbang:

P.S. How many brewers does it take to fix a keg setup at ANAWBS????

www.yorkebrewing.com.au

Secondly, lets not forget that this is primarily a national Wine and Beer Show.

One quick question wee stu
How does the wine scoring work, is it out of 20 not 50 like the beer?
All of my beers had turned out shite at the time so I sent in a bottle of my 1st effort at wine and was pleasantly suprised to see it didn't finish last in its class but the winners score was only 17.75 and the winning beeres were in the 40's

Secondly, lets not forget that this is primarily a national Wine and Beer Show.

One quick question wee stu
How does the wine scoring work, is it out of 20 not 50 like the beer?
All of my beers had turned out shite at the time so I sent in a bottle of my 1st effort at wine and was pleasantly suprised to see it didn't finish last in its class but the winners score was only 17.75 and the winning beeres were in the 40's

Wine scores are indeed out of 20, which is one of the international standards for wine judging.

Up until this year ANAWBS has also judged beers to the 20 point scale. This year we upgraded to the much more common, and BJCP consistent, 50 point scale for beer judging.

I think I am becoming jealous of these multi talented people who can turn their hand to both wine and beer making. Time to stake my claim for a place in a syndicate with some wine making buddies I think ;)

I think I am becoming jealous of these multi talented people who can turn their hand to both wine and beer making. Time to stake my claim for a place in a syndicate with some wine making buddies I think ;)

Multi talented I think not, beginners luck I think Yes :excl: :excl:
Winemaking compared to brewing I thought was a lot simlper as it mainly requires patience

Step 1 find a cheap source of grapes (free with the offer of beer in return)
Crush and destem the grapes (helps if you can access some other persons crusher destemmer and offer free beer in return for its use)
Put them in a few spare fermenters, add sulphite, check pH (add acid if required) add pectic enzyme if desired.
Pitch a few packets of red wine yeast, then wait for it to start fermenting.
Once fermenting go out to the shed twice a day and punch the cap down.
After two weeks or so when it looks a nice colour and the gravity is down borrow a press and a big demijohn (again with the offer of free beer to its owner).
Empty out the fermenters into the press and collect the runnings, then press as much as you think you need to fill said demijohn and add suphite.

Once the the demijohn is full Wait

Wait
taste

Wait
taste

2 months later rack to some kegs
Wait

Wait
Work out ANAWBS is on, fill up a placcy bottle and send it away

And if it tastes like crap then you can always blame it on a bad vintage!!!!

Anyway thread hijack over, many many thanks to Recharge for the loan of his press and gear and countless PMs of "should I do this or that"

I hope no-one is camped out by their letter box waiting for their result sheets, medals or trophies.

There has been a slight change of plan on our mailout. Originally we had planned on a two stage mailout. First, the scoresheets, medals and trophies were going to be sent out this week. Following that, up to a month later, the comprehensive results booklet was to follow.

Now, however, and thanks to some sterling work from a couple of committee members and Graham Stallard (a long standing friend and wine related sponsor of the show) the results booklet proofs go off to the printer tomorrow :super: .

This means that he whole kit and kaboodle (scoresheets, medals, trophies, prizes and results booklet) will now be mailed out together next week, on Thursday 26 or Friday 27 October.

Still, not long to wait - in the overall scheme of things ;)

Cheers Stu.

Great to have the expectation set accoringly.

Again a great effort to all those involved in organising, and to those that have excelled.

Beers,
Doc

It is looking good for the mail out happening this Thursday - 26/10.

I got my results sheets back today. This isn't any kind of special privilege, I forgot to take them home when they were available on the presentation day.

Overall I have to say I am pleased with both the quantity and quality of the comments received.

My suspect beers, especially, were found out for exactly what they were :eek:

In total we had some 26 judges take part this year, half of them involved in brewing in a professional capacity, and half a dozen either already accredited BJCP judges or about to sit the exam.

Naturally, people will disagree, sometimes vehemently, with what some judges have to say about their beers. Hopefully, the time and effort put in by the judges in trying to provide constructive feedback will be appreciated.

New classes for next year, including maybe even the paddle B) , are almost sorted.

Watch this forum for announcements soon.

People can move closer to their mail boxes now if they want, most if not all of the parcels have been sent out over the last couple of days.

As promised there are new classes for 2007.

In the open classses:

Robust Porter - following from the success of this year's paddle, becomes a regular class of its own in 2007 - open to all brewing methods, not just all grain.

Barley Wine makes an appearance for the strong ale enthusiasts. We will be accepting both English and American variants, but you will have to identify which.

Pale German Lager - introduced because we feel a lot of pale lager brewers entered these beers in the Bo Pils class this year, for lack of another pale lager alternative. As an experiment in catering to a broader family of styles, we will accept Munich Helles, Dortmunder and German Pilsener in this class. Again you will have to identify which beer style you have entered, to ensure it gets judged accordingly.

Finally the all grain Mash Paddle is a beer of a completely different hue for 2007, as we move from the all but black of last year's porters - to the pale, straw colours of 2007's Kolsch
The full story on the choice of kolsch for the mash paddle can be found here

The rest of the classes remain, taking us up to a total of 20 classes, still in the main style specific.

We are looking to confirm full details of these styles and their guidelines on the ANAWBS web site, and here on AHB, by around the end of November. Pleanty of time to get ready for the comp which will again be held in october, with entries closing some time in September.

Back