• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the vac sealer do differently for moist foods? When I seal steaks with mine I have to out a folded paper towel between the meat and the seal to stop the blood and juices from going into the vac pump then seal between steak and paper towel and cut paper towel part off, but it would be nice to know how well the moist function handles blood etc?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
What does the vac sealer do differently for moist foods? When I seal steaks with mine I have to out a folded paper towel between the meat and the seal to stop the blood and juices from going into the vac pump then seal between steak and paper towel and cut paper towel part off, but it would be nice to know how well the moist function handles blood etc?
with my vac sealer it says to put the meat into the freezer for an hour or so prior to sealing so the juices are frozen but not the meat.

If they're the same as the Luvelo, they should be good.

No complaints with my Luvelo here.

Also, I got some of the advetised bacon chops for a brew day next weekend. Should come up a treat cooked on the bbq with a few bits of cherry on the coals.

I'd be looking into a better brand one myself.
My Sunbeam sealer crapped out last year & I got myself a Luvelo from ebay ( recommended by some users on here ) & I think it's crap to be honest.
It has the ability to manually or pulse the amount of air you want out but it never seals as tight as my old Sunbeam did.
I think you get what you pay for but the choice is yours.

On special at Aldi on Sat. 7 March 2015.

Bike Lift. Price: $9.99.

Possibly useful for lifting BIAB bags. Max. load 20kg.

bike lift.jpg

Yeah, you could go the whole scrotum if you want.

10.5 L stockpots on sale from Saturday. Heavy bottom, thick metal, glass lid, riveted handles, virtually everlasting.

If you only buy one stockpot in your career, buy this one.

aldi stockpot.jpg

Thanks man, I picked one up over the weekend. It's a great size and will save me using the cook's Teflon set (biggest is 5L).
These new coated pans/pots don't tend to last as long as stainless steel.
Cheers

1433195711040.jpg

There's an Aldi opening up in Adelaide that's not far from the mother inlaws , I'll keep an eye on them and grab a couple for the better half.
It'll stop her raiding my brewery and using mine.FFS.

If they don't clear the current stock they will probably pop up again later in the Winter. In any case they are the sort of item that often hangs around for a few weeks on the "remainder" benches.

Drill powered pump, coming up on Saturday 6 June, could be handy if people (such as myself) need pumps. Apparently transfers 40-50L per minute at 28PSI. Would want to replace tubing with food grade.

• https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-6-june/saturday-detail-wk-23/ps/p/drill-powered-pump/
  • ----------
  • Notes from website:
  • For use with electric power drills
  • Ideal for transferring light liquids such as fresh water
  • 40-50 litres per minute capacity at 28psi
  • Compact, lightweight electric drill-powered pump
  • Fits all portable electric drills
  • To be used with an electric drill with minimum power of 350W
  • Operating speed: 2000-3000rpm
  • Flow rate: 40-50L/minute max. (reduced if filter used) at 28psi
  • Maximum suction height: 2m
  • Maximum outlet (pumping) head: 15m
  • 2 x 50cm PVC hoses included

steeevo said:
Drill powered pump, coming up on Saturday 6 June, could be handy if people (such as myself) need pumps. Apparently transfers 40-50L per minute at 28PSI. Would want to replace tubing with food grade.

• https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-6-june/saturday-detail-wk-23/ps/p/drill-powered-pump/
  • ----------
  • Notes from website:
Being a shaft driven pump, I'd be worried about food grade seals and how well it seals
I believe these have been discussed here before and the general consensus was no for anything touching your beer

steeevo said:

• ----------
  • Notes from website:
THey are a good emergency pump, i have one for doing various odd jobs like emptying sumps and stuff. However, i wouldnt use one with beer. My first one died after a single use with E85 when transferring from drum to drum, just ate out the seal like it was butter.

So if it has exposed seals like that (and they wont be food grade) then i wouldnt use it for beer unless you were ditching it.

spog said:
There's an Aldi opening up in Adelaide that's not far from the mother inlaws , I'll keep an eye on them and grab a couple for the better half.
It'll stop her raiding my brewery and using mine.FFS.
A little down the track as yet. They are touting 15-17 stores to open early in 2016 although I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple open their doors in Nov or Dec this year.

Go Aldi SA :beerbang:

Aldi stores are in some ways amusing because they build the free-standing ones to German Specs. Double brick and concrete walls (none of those concrete wall slabs poured in situ then hoisted up cheap crap) and they literally have airlocks to get in and out. You go through a door into a sort of airlock chamber then through another door to get into the store, same on the way out. In Europe and the UK this is almost universal to avoid blasts of snow or subzero air getting in through the doors.

Other etiquette, you hire a trolley for a gold coin in the slot, but can buy an official Aldi token for a dollar that comes on a keyring. I keep my token in a drinks holder in the car as that's the only place I need it.
So you have to return the trolley to the under cover trolley bay next to the front door, but that's great because you don't get a trolley that's been rained on or pissed on by a dog and because they don't need trolley collectors, it keeps costs and prices down.

Also the tills are completely different. You stack your stuff on a long belt that holds several customers' orders then the checkout dudes zoom your stuff through like greased lightning so you have to keep up. Then you pack your order on a bench, bring your own bags or you can get big tough plastic bags for 15c that are useful around the house as well.

You're in for a wild ride there folks.

Latest posts

Back