• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that's me in the energy drink ad.

And for West Australians;

Aldi is planning to build up to 70 stores across WA in the coming years. It has already flagged it will build supermarkets in Cannington, Souther River, Halls Head, Kwinana, Rockingham, Australind, South Lake, Joondalup, Camillo, Midland, Mundaring and Ellenbrook.
Construction of 45,000 to 50,000-square metre distribution centre near Jandakot Airport, which when complete will able to supply up to 100 stores is almost complete.

Yeah, happy days for a manager who looks after both SA & WA for major brands not sold through Aldi :unsure:

On the flip side I was headhunted to manage their operations here, but I prefer to have weekends for my family (and hobbies)!

Bribie G said:
Go Aldi SA :beerbang:

Aldi stores are in some ways amusing because they build the free-standing ones to German Specs. Double brick and concrete walls (none of those concrete wall slabs poured in situ then hoisted up cheap crap) and they literally have airlocks to get in and out. You go through a door into a sort of airlock chamber then through another door to get into the store, same on the way out. In Europe and the UK this is almost universal to avoid blasts of snow or subzero air getting in through the doors.

Other etiquette, you hire a trolley for a gold coin in the slot, but can buy an official Aldi token for a dollar that comes on a keyring. I keep my token in a drinks holder in the car as that's the only place I need it.
So you have to return the trolley to the under cover trolley bay next to the front door, but that's great because you don't get a trolley that's been rained on or pissed on by a dog and because they don't need trolley collectors, it keeps costs and prices down.

Also the tills are completely different. You stack your stuff on a long belt that holds several customers' orders then the checkout dudes zoom your stuff through like greased lightning so you have to keep up. Then you pack your order on a bench, bring your own bags or you can get big tough plastic bags for 15c that are useful around the house as well.

You're in for a wild ride there folks.
New free standing aldi store near me was pre poured slab walls

Yeah, most of the ones that i have been to arent as good as Bribie is making them out to be.

Plus they are all a disappointment compared to ALDI SÜD.... :(

I have yet to get an ALDI trolley that works any better than a wollies or coles trolley, ie it is of poor quality.

Australia is an Aldi Sud country. (orange)

Compared to Europe I believe Aldi stores there are more into gourmet, wine etc.

aldi nord sud.png

The walls are called "Tilt Up Walls"

Come to Port Lincoln I say.......we have already been taken over by Bunnings and soon to be Harvey Norman.

There will probably be some large stores for rent following our latest invasion:(

Most of Aldi products are made by the big guys, the same as the rest. Just has a different label

Aldi fruit juice is made by Berri. Even the box has Berri stamped on the side.

Aldi pay their staff higher as well from what I have heard.

Bribie G said:
Australia is an Aldi Sud country. (orange)

Compared to Europe I believe Aldi stores there are more into gourmet, wine etc.
Australian stores may be managed by ALDI SÜD, but they are a far cry from any store branded in that fashion.

They still provide a comparable and usually cheaper range than the big two, but as someone who got excited after living in Europe for a while it was a sore disappointment.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Most of Aldi products are made by the big guys, the same as the rest. Just has a different label

Aldi fruit juice is made by Berri. Even the box has Berri stamped on the side.
Incorrect. There are some big guys involved but the bulk of product is being made by second and third tier suppliers, many of whom have been squeezed by ranging decisions by the big 2. There is also a lot of imported product.

dicko said:
The walls are called "Tilt Up Walls"
Come to Port Lincoln I say.......we have already been taken over by Bunnings and soon to be Harvey Norman.
There will probably be some large stores for rent following our latest invasion:(
ON THE MONEY there Dicko, Bunnings resulting in a local h/ ware shop shutting .Harvey Norman coming here...how many local furniture and electrical shops will hurt from that.
Word is that BCF is on the cards. **** me if I'm not sick and tired of locals telling me of the gear they bought from Bunnings and in the next breath lamenting the demise of local businesses, makes me want to strangle the fuckwits.
Local business means the money stays local.
FFS. The population here is roughly 15,000 ,so the big boys have done their homework and want some $,that's how it goes. But if people would give a **** all would be well locally ? and...and...aargh it pisses me of........
Some day, at this rate the Big Green shed will end up getting my dollars.........

When I lived on Bribie Island the local Cornett's IGA was excellent and I used to shop there for meat, veg and a lot of other items I couldn't get at Aldi, basically split my shop between the two and never set foot in Woolies.

However on moving to this area the Ritchies IGA is awful and I rarely go there.

Derek Cornett owns about twenty IGAs in QLD, and has sunk a lot of money into renovating and even demolishing and rebuilding older stores and they are the real "third force" in the area. The Ritchie mob in NSW also own heaps of stores but they are mainly grubby, old and expensive.

Wonder if Netto stores will make it here. Years ago in the U.K. Danish Netto were a competitor to Aldi with the same idea just put cartons of produce on the shelves and the customers just did all the unpacking.
Spot the high roller somebody with a Netto carrier bag.

BTW here in Cairns no Aldi and I find usually Coles tend to be a little bit cheaper than Woolies. I do buy my frozen chips at Woolies though $1.79 Kg cheaper than real spuds 99% of the time.

I thought Coles was meant to be more expensive and more upmarket than Woolworths?

Vac sealer and bags for sale this week. Is this the one most people purchase?

Back