AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the beers are back up to Maples and my high standard then we will go back in :icon_chickcheers:

Rook

sounds like you've never brewed a shit beer before mate?

Paul, cruise over to the first post in this thread and click on the article link. Then add your name to the list (via the edit button).

Cheers SJ

The more the good brewers pull out (and I also loved Maples RyePA... mmmm...), the less good brewers will be tempted to join. And the more good brewers will be tempted to drop out.

Begin motivational rant

An increase in quality starts with YOU. Do it for your mates. Do it for your country. Do it for little johnny, who just turned 18 and hasn't figured out there is more to beer than VB. Do it to spite the marketers who are trying to get you to drink another bland "low carb" beer. Do it for the maltsters, so their work is not in vain. But most of all, do it for yourself, cause the praise to be heaped upon you will be great.

End motivational rant

Or, just do it for me. I really did enjoy that RyePA... :)

sounds like you've never brewed a shit beer before mate?

Different levels of shit mate :)

I'm tempted to go in it and brew a FES....done one last August and jeepers its tasting awesome

Rook

Different levels of shit mate :)
I'm tempted to go in it and brew a FES....done one last August and jeepers its tasting awesome
Rook

Time for your name to migrate to the 'real list' Rooky! ;) :icon_drool2:

i could soo go a decent FES for winter! :icon_chickcheers:

I'm in - but not happy Jan about Rooky and Maple sitting it out.
What up fellas?

As for me, I've got a nice tasting Tripel just finished primary, sitting on a big fat yeast cake that needs another workout, and a sack of Dingemans pilsner coming in March.
Now, is 4 months conditioning enough time methinks? <_< ...Hmmm...

Yaee. first time I got in without all places filled

And as for the the actual xmas swap there was some talk late last year about the 2010 xmas swap tour leaving VIC and finishing QLD.

Kleiny

Ute-check, cornies-check, golf clubs-check
Lets go

Well, based on what I've heard over the past 6 months of reading, and the quite obvious replies from the thread, being a newby in the Partials/AG brewing league I'll be sadly disappointed to see Rook and Maple not participate... Don't want to sound like I want a great beer back for putting shit in - I will be trying my best to produce some quality beer... But us beginners need plenty of quality brewers to be striving to compete against!

On another note - again with the naievity.... I know the article specifies that the bottles should be 750ml, and I'm guessing that it should be a pretty simple calculation regarding qty right? final no of peeps = no of bottles required? Or am I a little off?

Thanks guys.

ps Kleiny, I'll be up for fun - and I've already started my course of concrete to make sure I'm up to the task... :chug:

On another note - again with the naievity.... I know the article specifies that the bottles should be 750ml, and I'm guessing that it should be a pretty simple calculation regarding qty right? final no of peeps = no of bottles required? Or am I a little off?

Thanks guys.

ps Kleiny, I'll be up for fun - and I've already started my course of concrete to make sure I'm up to the task... :chug:

Yep 1 bottle per person + 1 for yourself this makes counting easier as all the rows will have the same bottles in them.

As for the ps: I edited the concrete comment out as i didnt know if you would take offence, but obviously no need to worry. Didnt think anybody would see it actually. :lol:

But us beginners need plenty of quality brewers to be striving to compete against!

Don't worry, bloke. There's already no shortage of those on the list. And I'm sure they'll be only too willing to let you know how you might improve your brews.

:chug:

Plus a few extra for yourself so you can taste them and know what you're giving to other people.

Going on my own experiences from last time, plan a few brews in advance and choose the one you think showcases your best effort. If one stuffs up on the way, you'll have something in reserve.

Yep 1 bottle per person + 1 for yourself this makes counting easier as all the rows will have the same bottles in them.

As for the ps: I edited the concrete comment out as i didnt know if you would take offence, but obviously no need to worry. Didnt think anybody would see it actually. :lol:

I noticed the edit, but you weren't quick enough for me to see it anyway. Don't worry I'm a natural smart arse, I've just kept quiet so far....

Plus a few extra for yourself so you can taste them and know what you're giving to other people.

Going on my own experiences from last time, plan a few brews in advance and choose the one you think showcases your best effort. If one stuffs up on the way, you'll have something in reserve.

I'll be planning plenty of brews before then Manticle, just got my supersized fermentation fridge 2 weeks back, should be set up by the end of the weekend. Will try to get some pics up when I do, am hoping that it should improve the quality just a little.... That and the first part of the HERMS system. There are 8-10 brews planned for the next 2 weeks. One of them will have to be above par.... But I guess it depends what you call par.... ;)

If only most of the other participants in the xmas swap did this we would have had more than 1/2 the swap drinkable! :rolleyes:

:lol:

If only most of the other participants in the xmas swap did this we would have had more than 1/2 the swap drinkable! :rolleyes:

:lol:
I'd be happy to do this but my brews are all smaller brews ATM and it will be a special double-brew to meet the required quota for the swap (a pain, due to brewery limitations). Is there anything wrong with offerring two different beers @ the swap and a lucky dip for who gets what? (appropriately labelled of course if I end up brewing to two different recipes). This would alleviate a lot of risk.

As it was I was planning on doing a MY regular size batch (12-14 lt) on the saturday, no chilling saturday night and pitching sunday, and doing another batch to the same recipe sunday, no chilling and tossing that into the one I pitched on sunday (i.e. starter style). I was, of course, going to test this technique out before the actual swap brew. Anyone see any issues with this? If the test failed I was just going to pad out the swap version with some LDME (which I have done with this recipe with great success)

Or would people prefer a lucky dip? (in which case half would be my ambrown ******* ale the other half would probably be an IPA. Much improved on the last one, rest assured! Although if the lager that's lagering now turns out good maybe I'll put a version of that one in instead of an IPA)

I'm here to serve.

:( One day, I will join one of these. Young uns are order of the day - second due in May. :)

I'll brew in support, though. :icon_cheers:

I'd be happy to do this but my brews are all smaller brews ATM and it will be a special double-brew to meet the required quota for the swap (a pain, due to brewery limitations). Is there anything wrong with offerring two different beers @ the swap and a lucky dip for who gets what? (appropriately labelled of course if I end up brewing to two different recipes). This would alleviate a lot of risk.

As it was I was planning on doing a MY regular size batch (12-14 lt) on the saturday, no chilling saturday night and pitching sunday, and doing another batch to the same recipe sunday, no chilling and tossing that into the one I pitched on sunday (i.e. starter style). I was, of course, going to test this technique out before the actual swap brew. Anyone see any issues with this? If the test failed I was just going to pad out the swap version with some LDME (which I have done with this recipe with great success)

Or would people prefer a lucky dip? (in which case half would be my ambrown ******* ale the other half would probably be an IPA. Much improved on the last one, rest assured! Although if the lager that's lagering now turns out good maybe I'll put a version of that one in instead of an IPA)

I'm here to serve.

Speaking only for myself but I would cope fine with any of the above.

Latest posts

Back