AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted my case swap brew just before ... went down pretty good. Can now relax and look forward to the big day...
:chug:

Cheers
Mal

Tasted my case swap brew just before ... went down pretty good. Can now relax and look forward to the big day...
:chug:

Cheers
Mal

yep tasted and bottled mine this arvo too. tasting beautifull...citra hop bomb. cant wait.
kooislayer.gif

my count =27? is that still right.
Checking out the thread recipes and post`s I am looking forward to an awesome caseswap of beers.

well im just about to weigh out my dry hops for the 'suprise beer'. 15g each of C and C about to hit the beer. Turns out its at 7% ABV! Noooiiiiiiice!

Ok, new hint. Its an "IPA". The brewery doesnt call it that, but BJCP guidelines does. so i guess you have a choice of....

Bells Two-Hearted Ale, AleSmith IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA, Three Floyds Alpha King, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Founders Centennial IPA, Anchor Liberty Ale, Harpoon IPA, Avery IPA

Fents! Congrats on the Insemination bud! :icon_chickcheers:

Heres to you new whipping boy or girl in the brewery! Looks like your hosting gift Barleywine is now a congratulations barleywine! Something you can hold onto and enjoy hopefully after a short labour come less than nine months time! Again, best wishes to yourself and Rach!

Three and a half weeks to go guys! I'm excited!!!

Anybody who doesn't have themselves sorted by now better pull their finger out. It's not too late to stump something up.

To our generous host, Fents (and partner), congratulations on the conception. Your wife is very understanding, allowing you to still have 30 drunk blokes over while 4 months pregnant.

OK, so no one else is playing, I might as well eh?

So given the red, we can eliminate the strikeouts...
well im just about to weigh out my dry hops for the 'suprise beer'. 15g each of C and C about to hit the beer. Turns out its at 7% ABV! Noooiiiiiiice!

Ok, new hint. Its an "IPA". The brewery doesnt call it that, but BJCP guidelines does. so i guess you have a choice of....

Bells Two-Hearted Ale, AleSmith IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA, Three Floyds Alpha King, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Founders Centennial IPA, Anchor Liberty Ale, Harpoon IPA, Avery IPA
Given the Green, I reckon I know what it is, but for those playing at home, I won't give it away.

i dont care as long as its good,

oH and on the subject of good i have an announcement.

Code name: Operation Mongoose 19L in attendance

cant wait for the mishap and mayhem and may we all watch our sanitation issues :p (4* and others know this quote)

Kleiny

Just tasted my amber ale... basically a JS amber ale knockup. It's not too bad. I wouldn't call it great either, but its drinkable. Its got some bitterness, which is quickly masked by a decent hint of crystal. There is a very subtle late williamette flav/aroma too, but very subtle.

Its not bad, I'm just not sure if its good enough to pass round to all you guys. By the way, besides the ingredients I am 100% happy about my process making this beer. It is sooo clear! I've never had a beer that clear before, just a week of cold crashing then bottled. It fermented a little on the colder side and maybe finished a tad higher than I was hoping for. I got 1.010 and was aiming for 1.008.

I have a backup brewing (Tonys LCBA), which may need a week or so after the swap. I said to myself I didn't want to have to do that to you guys, but circumstances prevented me from brewing enough.

i dont care as long as its good,
oH and on the subject of good i have an announcement.
Code name: Operation Mongoose 19L in attendance
cant wait for the mishap and mayhem and may we all watch our sanitation issues :p (4* and others know this quote)
Kleiny

Whoo Whoot!!!!! Of course i do Kleiny! Of course i do! :icon_chickcheers:

Mmmmm Tasty! Good work special K.

Tasty Indeed! Unfortunatly for you maple... you miss out on my swapper! :beerbang:

Just tasted my amber ale... basically a JS amber ale knockup. It's not too bad. I wouldn't call it great either, but its drinkable. Its got some bitterness, which is quickly masked by a decent hint of crystal. There is a very subtle late williamette flav/aroma too, but very subtle.

Its not bad, I'm just not sure if its good enough to pass round to all you guys. By the way, besides the ingredients I am 100% happy about my process making this beer. It is sooo clear! I've never had a beer that clear before, just a week of cold crashing then bottled. It fermented a little on the colder side and maybe finished a tad higher than I was hoping for. I got 1.010 and was aiming for 1.008.

I have a backup brewing (Tonys LCBA), which may need a week or so after the swap. I said to myself I didn't want to have to do that to you guys, but circumstances prevented me from brewing enough.

Hmmm ... Amber Ale :icon_drool2: ... another one of my favs.

Anyway don't talk it down before we've had a chance to try ... thats our job ;) No one is expecting every beer to be a best of show material.

Got to say looks like a really good line up in this swap ...

Bairds medium crystal, for the win!

Two beers in this swap showcasing high amounts of this crystal used in their grist. Mine and Siborgs. :icon_cheers:

Anyway don't talk it down before we've had a chance to try ... thats our job ;) No one is expecting every beer to be a best of show material.
Would you believe "Worst in Show" material?

Mine is proving a little "challenged" at the moment. I believe a combination of the following contributed:
- First time using my new mash tun
- First time brewing with polenta in the mash
- First time attempting a > 20lt All Grain batch
- And lastly, only just discovered my thermometer I used at the time was 4-5 degrees out. Yup, 67 deg mash temp I nailed could have been in reality anything up to 72 deg.

Anyway, it's bottled now, and I'm hoping time heals some wounds.

If nothing else, I look forward to constructive criticism. It's alright, it's not Masterchef, so I promise not to cry...

Tasted my 3/4 full tester bottle the other day and it's come out as planned. Much clearer than my test batch.

Just before the swap I will double check one more bottle which means I will miss out on getting my own swap beer back. Better that than give everyone rubbish. I can sub with something else or just get back 26 bottles. I'll have to have an extra bottle of something else for the host (which may be another ESB - have one ready to bottle).

I do have some back up stuff in case things go south for some inexplicable reason but so far I'm pretty happy.

just to clarify no one has to bring me beer for being the host, if everyone just has a good time im happy (and pays for meat). there is ALWAYS beer left over the next day and usually keeps the host going for the next week so yea dont bring me anything espically please cause i'll just tell you to crack it open there and then and share it ;)

Well I'll just bring extra beer for sharing then (so long as I think it's worth sharing)

just to clarify no one has to bring me beer for being the host, if everyone just has a good time im happy (and pays for meat). there is ALWAYS beer left over the next day and usually keeps the host going for the next week so yea dont bring me anything espically please cause i'll just tell you to crack it open there and then and share it ;)

Execpt for the baby barleywine you where going to get anyway. ;)

BTW, the cider is going to hit the fridge for a crash chill tonight! Whoot Whoot!

just to clarify no one has to bring me beer for being the host...
But... how else am I going to get rid of the sh*tty kit'n'kilo beers I brewed 18 months ago that are still sitting in my garage? :lol:

Seriously man, we know you'll protest, but you know we'll all bring along extra beer for you just the same.

Got to say looks like a really good line up in this swap ...

I just hope it carbs up a little more. I was aiming for 2.7-2.9 and added around 170-180g of sugar for priming (IIRC). I suppose its hard to judge after a week in the bottle. I've got 29 left, so I'll try another one next week. If I were to brew this one again, definitly a bit more on the bittering and a touch more late. I think I like the crystal maltiness. I think a bit more bittering would help balance it a bit better. I feel it is sort of balanced, it just is tipped a little more towards malty... just slightly. I'll be getting back into brewing regularly, so hopefully I'll have something awesome for the normal Xmas swap.

Back