Ag - Molson Ice Ingredients Substitution Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty B

Reaction score
Brewing a beer for the Bro-in-law as a belated Chrissy present. Borrowed a mates copy of Clone Brews, for him to pick something to brew. He has come up with a clone of Molson Ice. I have a couple of questions:

Grain bill is (double batching):

Canadian 2-row pale (9kg) - Any suggestions as to a substitute for this. Thinking straight pale malt, but don't know if there is much difference.

Flaked Maize/corn (680g) - where would I get this? Any specific prep work before adding to the mash?

Rice Hulls (454g)
Crystal Malt (340g)

Mash - It suggests mashing at 50C for the first 30 mins and 65C for the remaining 60mins. Have raised mash temps before, but not by this much. In the esky style mash tun, is adding boiling water the best suggestion here?

Boil - Suggests a 90minute boil. First recipe that I have done with a 90 minute, all others have been 60minute. Any suggestions here too?

Thanks,

Dusty

Most (all?) malt we get here is 2 row so a 2 row pale or ale will work fine. I don't know the beer the recipe is trying to clone so see if the website has any more info on what kind of malt if more specificity is required but if it's as vague as 2 row pale then pale/ale or even pilsner will give a reasonable result.

50 deg is presumably a protein rest - if you use malt available here you probably don't need one and too long can theoretically be a bad thing. I rest almost all beers at various points these days but my protein-ish rest is 55 and only for 5-10 minutes.

You can rest with hot water. Calculate how much water you need to hit 50 (or whatever) using the calculator on this page: http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_o..._StrikeTemp.htm (scroll down). You can use the same calculator to work out what to add to step up. Personally, the immersion element I use is one of the best brewery investments I've made but I have done it with hot water.

I've never used flaked maize but I'm pretty sure a lot here have. Try looking at Bribie G's posts (or send a PM) and research cereal mash and flaked maize gelatinisation temperature.

Boiling for 90 minutes is often done with European pilsner malts to remove dms. It will also darken the wort slightly and evaporate more off unless you make up the pre-boil volume to be a bit extra. I boil everything for 75 minutes minimum anyway. Anyway, try it out. Won't do anything bad.

For maize, a good source is good old supermarket Polenta. You could do a separate cereal mash, but as you are starting low and building up, to keep it simple I'd tend to just boil the polenta to a runny porridge, let it cool to 50, add to the mash and let it rise with the rest of the goods. Then I'd definitely do a mashout whilst ramping the temperature again so that as the mash passes through the 70 "band" the alpha amylase from the 2 row will fully kick in to convert any polenta starch that is still there. Woolworths polenta comes in 450g packs, so to avoid waste I'd be inclined to use two packs and drop the malt a tad - wouldn't be overkill and maize goes really well in most American lagers.

Dusty,

Canadian 2-row pale (9kg) - Any suggestions as to a substitute for this. Thinking straight pale malt, but don't know if there is much difference. Use Barrett Burston Pale (or any pilsner malt).
Flaked Maize/corn (680g) - where would I get this? Any specific prep work before adding to the mash? Use Bairds Flaked Maize - Available from most good homebrew stores (including site sponsors). No prep needed, just add to mash.
Rice Hulls (454g) - leave out, they are not needed.

Do a single infusion mash at 65c for 60 or 90 mins. if you are used to 60 mins, stick with that.

Cheers Ross

Thanks for the tips all. I will run with your suggestions and let you know how it comes out. This is a beer that I have never tried before, Bro-in-laws choice, so I wont be able to tell you how close to the original it was, but will let you know if it comes out OK.

It's a nothing of a lager, much like Carlton Cold with little hop flavour. Goes down very easy from memory, but haven't had it for 9 years so the memory may be a tad hazy.

Back