First crack at BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Schikitar recipe is just the standard APA recipe kit from Cleverbrewing.com.au

Batch size 23 litres (I managed to retrieve 21 overall)
OG 1.052 (I managed 1.047 but may have diluted my wort by adding water after the boil...)
FG 1.013 (I am currently reading 1.016 after 2 weeks)

4.09kg Golden Promise
0.515kg Caramalt
0.338kg Carared Malt
0.168kg Carapils Malt

7g Cascade @ 75mins
14g Cascade @ 30mins
34g Cascade @ 10mins
42g Cascade @ 0mins
42g Cascade Dry Hop @ 7-5 days

Safale US-05 dry yeast

Mash @ 64C for 60 mins

Seemed fairly straightforward for my first brew, proof of the beer is in the drinking though!

Last edited:
It works out at 63.5% efficiency, I'll take that in spades for first attempt.

That looks like a delicious recipe! The brew bug will have its claws in you well and proper once you have your first taste [emoji6]

@Edd That looks pretty nice, can't wait to hear how it turns out..

This is what I'm brewing this weekend, also an APA;

"Sewing Oats" v2
Batch Size (Fermenter) - 26L
NO CHILL
OG - 1.054
FG - 1.015
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 44.2
EBC - 16.3

Grain Bill
American Ale - 4.8kg
Wheat Malt - 560g
Oats Flaked - 560g
Pale Crystal - 280g
Acidulated Malt - 150g

Hop Schedule
Citra - 20g @ 15mins
Citra - 15g @ 5mins
Citra - 10g @ Flameout
Mosaic - 15g @ Flameout
Citra - 100g @ Cube Hop
Mosaic - 45g @ Cube Hop
Citra - 55g @ Dry Hop
Mosaic - 50g @ Dry Hop

Yeast
WLP041 Pacific Ale

Cheers!

That looks like a delicious recipe! The brew bug will have its claws in you well and proper once you have your first taste [emoji6]
Ha ha, yes I think it will. It's been great so far, and teaching me a new level of patience! It's great having this resource of help/advice/info at hand though, it's a bit of a minefield at first hey. Cheers.

@Edd That looks pretty nice, can't wait to hear how it turns out..

This is what I'm brewing this weekend, also an APA;

"Sewing Oats" v2
Batch Size (Fermenter) - 26L
NO CHILL
OG - 1.054
FG - 1.015
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 44.2
EBC - 16.3

Grain Bill
American Ale - 4.8kg
Wheat Malt - 560g
Oats Flaked - 560g
Pale Crystal - 280g
Acidulated Malt - 150g

Hop Schedule
Citra - 20g @ 15mins
Citra - 15g @ 5mins
Citra - 10g @ Flameout
Mosaic - 15g @ Flameout
Citra - 100g @ Cube Hop
Mosaic - 45g @ Cube Hop
Citra - 55g @ Dry Hop
Mosaic - 50g @ Dry Hop

Yeast
WLP041 Pacific Ale

Cheers!
Looks good and hoppy! What difference to taste will the wheat and oats provide overall? I am also going to go for no chill next brew. Am I right in thinking that your cube hops are what might have been used for the 60min hops, I can't seem to work out this cube hopping business!

The cube hops mostly provide flavour and aroma as the wort isn't transferred to the cube from the kettle until (typically) 20-30 minutes after the boil or around 85 degrees, depends on your setup and ambient temperature. You don't want to leave the transfer too late, for sanitary reasons, so I usually aim for about 85 degrees. At 79 degress there is no bitterness extraction, so at 85 degrees there is some but bugger all, especially compared to any additions in the boil.. I think a lot of guys just do a basic bittering addition as normal and then throw everything into the cube. The only issue I have with cube hopping is that those hops are very thritsy and you can lose volume to the fermenter from all the hop debris that has soaked up your beer..

As for the wheat and oats, it's mostly for body, colour, mouthfeel and head retention but I'm no expert (yet) on the various malts and still learning so I'm sure someone else could answer that better.

Been sitting at 1.014 for 3 days now (in fermenter just over two weeks in total), just started the cold crash and will be adding gelatine soon. Good times!

Well that's bottling sorted. Due to lack of secondary bucket I have primed the bottles individually and then filled directly from the primary fermenter. The trub line was sitting nicely just below tap level so managed 22 x 750ml bottles worth. Of course I had a little snifter at the end and I was pleasantly surprised at this stage, it's fairly flat but definitely beer! I'm guessing everybody doubts the first few brews until the whole process becomes a bit more routine.
I really think that a few days cold crashing and the gelatin has paid dividends as the beer looked 100% clearer than it has done on my SG tests. It's now under temp control slowly raising back up to 18C for conditioning. Hmmm, now what to fill the F.V with next!

"Boodiful" as they say in Cornwall!

Cracked the first bottle for a trial today. Very chuffed with first attempt, a very pleasant flavour although not as much hoppiness as expected but the malt and bitterness were top notch. Clarity came in great with the CC and gelatin and it seems to have carbed an absolute beauty in the PET bottles. Looking forward to it improving over the next few weeks. I'm hooked, bring on the BIAB!

Cracked the first bottle for a trial today. Very chuffed with first attempt, a very pleasant flavour although not as much hoppiness as expected but the malt and bitterness were top notch. Clarity came in great with the CC and gelatin and it seems to have carbed an absolute beauty in the PET bottles. Looking forward to it improving over the next few weeks. I'm hooked, bring on the BIAB!

Don’t forget the pics of the brew being sampled! :) sounds like a ripper

IMG_1298_zps592csgqm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1299_zpssi0ielav.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1300_zpshav5octs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back