1st Sour Recipe is this OK?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks AJ
It's at 40dC now and tasting sour having left it overnight. I'm a bit worried about taking it too far so this time I'll mash this morning.

cheers

Well I stuffed that up

I soured the whole mash and only got 1025 pre oil instead of 1051 so added 2kg of ldme and ended up with 1045 og, smelled like vinegar in the mash yesterday morning

Still going ahead with ferment, maybe this 40 ltrs could be my extreme sour blending tank?

well i hope its not vinegar your smelling droid hope its lactic acid. acetobacter is supposed to grow very quickly. just ferment and see. some malt vinegar can be used for blending but not much. also that brett strain is best used as the sole primary yeast so in a mixed fermentation it will be very mild. after primary you could add fruit for some malic or citric acid for extra zing if it ends up not sour enough. please dont use bottled lactic acid. cheers

no worry's but like barls said the blends are good second gen gets better. you don't need a starter as they are blended to give the bugs a head start. get the production line going since they take so long but age incredibly well. keep air locks topped up because air ingress makes vinegar. ive used one year old slurry kept in a jar in my shed with good results i just feed the jar fresh wort 3 times a year same with brett. as above suggestion pitch bottle dregs from commercial sours there's a list of bottles with viable dregs on the mad fermentationists website the bloke that wrote american sour's. a slippery slope indeed.

TBH you'll be better off dumping it and using it as a learning experience.

The problem with sour mashing is the difficulty in predicting how it will turn out, that's why you'll find most do sour worting or sour during primary or as part of secondary.

With a decent sour blend culture to ferment with your probably better off just letting it do it's job during primary/secondary.

If you're desperate for a quick sour then look up kettle souring, this will work for Berliner weisses but not the long term sours done with Brett and Pedio.

Back