A Simple Way To Make A Sculpture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pumpy trying to save some coin for some brewers u still can strip back the rust and paint it plus if it all the same size ( angle iron) and cut right there is no reason for itto look like a scrap yard it just an idea

Your right Jazman mine was a bit of old racking with some rustkil and black paint it came up a treat ;)

Pumpy

MY VIRGIN POST!!! (i think?) I've been on the grumpys website trying to get some ideas on how to build my brew stand and this thread has em' all! :) I've been taking notes fellas! Dexion, downee fittings, elgate etc... etc... Now when i go down to bunnings i'll have some idea of what to ask for! Now the challenge is designing and building it! Without cracking the sh*ts and kicking it to pieces cause i cant make it! :angry:

Hopsta ,

I will come over and help you build it !! Pumpy

Cheers Pumpy, Tamworth to syd is too far a drive though i'll have a bash at it first and if i get into trouble i'll have to get the old man to give us a hand! :)

Pumpy thats exactly how i've imagined mine to look! It was going to be 3 tier but thats too high. Have you incorporated a pump from the mash tun to the kettle or??

Hopsta ,

No not yet , I just put a bucket on the floor and as the wort comes out I just pour in the HLT.the brewery it getting a bit too heavy the more things I add on .

this is quite an old pic it does not include the Gemini water filter and the grain mill .

Pumpy

Ahh thats what i can do, no rush for me to get a pump just yet then. Its all starting to come together now. I just got to put some plans into action!

nice set-up pumpy, canot wait until the gallery gets up and going again as I need some inspiration via photos of different stands and AG set-ups.

Any idea how long thing might be dane?

Cheers!

Cheers Vlad the Pale Aler, will look into it more.

Was at bunning today and found some stuff for making fences which looked good. I see you suggested a fence place too..

Fortress Gates what the brand of gate frames....

Didn't have corner pieces though.. :(

My vote for the mechanically-challenged is Dexion - I have it in the warehouse (all being used I'm afraid) and I love the stuff.

It's very strong, available in a bunch of sizes, and cheap in comparison. I looked at all sorts of options for putting up shelving, and I couldn't build a crappy steel or timber arrangement for the cost of secondhand Dexion.

The only drawback is that most of the secondhand dealers don't carry much floor stock - they build the stuff to order and deliver the following week. They are also used to dealing with trade customers buying thousands of dollars worth of the stuff, so bear that in mind when you deal with them (they won't bend over backwards for a couple of hundred bucks).

There are other options, Dexion is only one brand (Brownbuilt is another) - what you are actually looking for is light-gauge pallet-racking. I would suggest using 1 bay comprising 2 frames (end pieces) and 2 or 3 shelf levels (4 or 6 beams). Decide roughly what dimensions you need but be flexible to fit in with the 'standard' sizes.

The actual shelves you'll need to find yourself - the usual 'industrial' solution is 18mm particleboard or MDF. A better option for brewing would be some lengths of square-section steel to span the beams and some gal or stainless checkplate. The shelves do not need to extend the whole length of the bay obviously, they only need to be large enough to hold whatever.

Here's another inspiring link:

http://www.shelvingandracking.com.au/secon...ndhand_page.htm

Have fun!

Wortgames

The sculpture is supposed to be a brewery 'creation' in our back yard'
Not a Dexion Shelving disaster resembling like scrap yard .

Pumpy

Pumpy - I fail to see how a professional solution, properly assembled, looks more like a scrap yard disaster than your meccano idea. I think you will find that a large proportion of brewers find beauty in form that follows function - that is, give us something solid and well-engineered, and we'll find it more beautiful than some plumber's nightmare cobbled together out of parts that seem cheap in theory but end up costing double for a half-arsed result.

Some of the galvanized Dexion looks pretty shmick as is, but a coat of paint is always an option. What you end up with is a well-engineered, very strong, adjustable brewery that can store all your equipment between brews and will not flinch at being fully loaded with a hundred kilos or more of stainless steel, boiling wort and burning propane. It's also probably cheaper, and easier for the 'mechanically-challenged' to assemble.

As I said, it has my vote.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

I surpose a stack of milk crates, BBQ and old table, cobbled together for brew day are not up to scatch. :)

Pumpy,

As much as I admire what you're trying to espouse among other brewers... I've got to agree with Wortgames here. :)

Dexion seems to be the easiest to use, cheapest price wise and fairly readily available. Sure it's not going to win any beauty contests. OTOH I've yet to see a frame that really does. As long as it gets the job done I'm pretty easy to please.

That said some of those beauties at morebeer.com certainly look the goods. :super:

Warren -

Heey, who said a scrap yard can't be made to look nice. This is made from the afore mentioned scafolding fittings. How's about a aztec jungle themed brewery!
chimpieb.jpg
If you want to go real agricultural why not just bang a couple of starposts in the ground with checken wire platform strung between. Easy to take down with a set of plier. And a lick of paint to make it look nice.
I'm with pumpy. If ya gunna build something you take pride in then build it so you can.

Borret

Latest posts

Back