A Simple Way To Make A Sculpture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
If you are looking to make a sculpture and cant weld steel I reckon this would be a good idea to make structures to stand the Kettle ,HLT, Tun .

Use galvanized water pipe and Elgate/Downee fittings which are a range of Tees & Corners ( rather similar to what they used to use for scaffolding ) which you can uses to join the lengths of pipe to make box structure or other shapes .

There are a range of pipe sizes so you could make a relatively lightweight one .

Pumpy

G'day Pumpy,
Not a bad idea - I'm looking at ideas for a brew stand and I didn't think of this stuff - I was thinking about slotted angle.

Would the gal pipe be robust enough? What about crossmember bracing to hold it together on a windy day?! I wouldn't want a keg shaped kettle swaying in the breeze during the boil!! Would a corner T work so you could brace the stand at the back?

Cheers,
TL (Who doesn't know MIG from TIG!)

Yes I guess if your were able to get a pile of that stuff cheap it could well be a option at least a thought anyway.

The fittings for large pipe would be pretty dear i would say but i don't imagine the ones for normal size water pipe would cost that much, theres not much too them,
two halves and a bolt.

Jayse

Pumpy, ever the innovator. :)

I'm getting a few ideas on how to build a stand. (Sick of placing stuff in dangerous positions on brew day). My leaning at present is towards some Dexion.

Any idea on where to acquire the afore-mentioned fittings and bits Pumpy?

Warren -

Trough Lolly said:
Would the gal pipe be robust enough?

[post="57429"][/post]​

extremely tuff, by gal pipe i pressume your meaning the type used for mains water which is strong as hell. Ussualy just refered to as water pipe in my neck of the woods and its the leverage bar of choice.

Jayse

Hey Guys,

I actually used to work with this stuff when I designed those indoor playgrounds with the foam everywhere. The 2 brands we used wereEuroklemp and
Kee Klamp.
I think one bread were alloy and the other cast iron. Anyway they are really easy to use and for something the size of a brew stand crossbracing wouldn't really be required. They make for a stiff structure anyway. From memory the fitting, depending on which ones were in the order of 4 - 6 bucks each and that was when buying thousands. So they might work out a bit costly. They do make thinks versatile in that you can adjust stuff easier than if welded and you can pull it apart if you ever want to shift it.
The size we used was medium wall 32NB which is about 42.4mm outside diameter..

The company I worked for was Playtec and I think we used to sell them as spare parts so you could try there warren. They are in Cromer , sydney. However they only stock for 1 size of pipe.

Borret

Thanks Borret,

Looking at the catalogues it would make a very nice brewstand in terms of strength, versatility and looks.

However I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that the price will far surpass Dexion.

Certainly the goods for the welding-challenged like TL and myself.

Might have a bit of look-see though.

Warren -

That MiniTech aluminium extrusion that I used for the frame of my mill would also make a gorgeous brew sculpture but once again price may be inhibitive. I might have to check the scrap bin at work!!!

Borret

TL .

I use it for framework to attach conduit to at work and hang lights I use the 50mm but if you mad a frame from that you would not lift it but may need that size if you going for a tower .

It is all galvanised and extremely strong .Pumpy

You can get them from Bunnings I think ,Blackwoods catalogue or Reece the first may be the cheaper .

I love Bunnings

Pumpy

I keep a length of water pipe behind my front door.

It's for clouting intruders, should I get one.

No luck yet.

Warren,

I like to feel it is my bit too encouraging people to start AG brewing .

I think a sculpture from this would look great and spray it with that Matt Black paint it would look very classy.

I am always conscious about how my gear looks as , peole say, Oh yes Pumpy brews his beer and chuckle as if I am a ravuing achoholic or something ,so I like to make it look as Proffesional as I possibly can .

Then if I am brewing when they come around it looks pretty 'cool' as sometimes I leave my brewery out a few days.

I think we should aim for the Wow factor and hope to be presenting some Ideas to 'Glam up 'my brewery for example

The SS tanks always look good with the Matt black frame and a or 'ss checkerplates' to stand the cooler on, There has got too be a red colour somewhere (Matt black silver and red) adds to the whole Wow ! factor

Pumpy

:lol: Pumpy, pimping up his brewery.

Or should that be Pimpy, pumping up his brewery? :lol:

Warren -
(agree though. Job worth doing is worth doing well)

Pumpy said:
TL .

I use it for framework to attach conduit to at work and hang lights I use the 50mm but if you mad a frame from that you would not lift it but may need that size if you going for a tower .

It is all galvanised and extremely strong .Pumpy
[post="57443"][/post]​

Thanks Pumpy, Borret and Jayse,
It's good to get confirmation from black handers that the stuff is tough enough to make do without bracing. I like the idea of being able to pull it apart if I move house (not that I do that all that often!) and I can re-assemble it depending on where I do my brewing - we may have a renovation on the house soon and SWMBO has hinted that I can have a dedicated brewing room with sink, taps and even a gas line! B)

As Warren has mentioned, it all comes down to cost...And I'd prefer to use water pipe under 42mm if possible.

Cheers,
TL

Might have a squizz at some pipe TL.

I've rang around a bit and was able to get a quote on some (second hand) Dexion. Can do a complete 3-tier stand with this for well under $100. Best option so far.

Buying the Metal Mate slotted angle from Bunnings I was looking at roughly double that.

Warren -

Pumpy said:
...The SS tanks always look good with the Matt black frame and a or 'ss checkerplates' to stand the cooler on...
[post="57450"][/post]​

Black and stainless, with the blue glow of a 3 ring burner...Now that's a thing of beauty! B)
Any tips or advice for the tool challenged on how I can fit some checkerplate to the frame for gear, especially my burner and kettle, to sit on? Long bolts? Gaff tape? :lol:

TL

If it's got all edges sitting on metal then just use rivets. It's only got to stop it moving. Or pre drill to just under thread size and use self tapper screws. Could use tech screws but they are ugly.
Rivets on checkerplate is a thing of beauty

Borret

Hey Guys,

We just need the right catalyst and the chemical reaction of creativity is alive in all our minds.
However I did not realise a bit of Galpipe a few connectors, some Matt black spray, a bit of SS checker plate and some red somewhere would fire your imagination for a brewery sculpture with the Wow !! factor .

Pimpy ,I mean Pumpy

what about getting some angle iron form the demo yards and drilling and bolting a stand together no need to weld and can be very strong or if you are luckly like me i have access to 50x50 galv tubing and a mig welder as going to do my stands in three seprate stands so if i change my set up all i have to do is change on section not the whole lot.I have the kettle stand made and if i get my act together i post a pic for u all

Jazman

The sculpture is supposed to be a brewery 'creation' in our back yard'
Not a Dexion Shelving disaster resembling like scrap yard .

Pumpy

Back