$25 grain mill motor from bread maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doh..nothing in hard rubbish around the neighbourhood.. Found one bread maker with the lot but either I wired it wrong or it don't work :( On a positive note found an electric golf buggy and it works :) just missing the battery

maybe I can use it for both LOL.. its got 2 motors :)

Mardoo said:
That golf buggy motor'd be a hell of a mill motor.
Found a sunbeam on the way home after beerfest same as urs ...now gotta work out all the wiring.. same as u :(

Once you sit down and have a look at it, it's not actually that bad. As far as I can tell the motor had no speed controller so the signaling unit functioned as an on/off switch in regards to the motor. Definitely want to find a sparky mate to have a look at it.

Motor is up and running now just have to work out the couplings

woohooo

Just need to couplers...seems they rate all on backorder..and have to build a mount

cheers

bmaker.jpg Is this one suitable??

Open it up and have a look I am sure it is..looks similar to the one i found

Hey fellas
Got this half setup but motor going the wrong way.
Have tried switching the wiring on the starter cap around and no change.

20141002_190011.jpg
Not sure where to go with it now. Any help would be appreciated.
Will be pissed if I cant change the direction.

Thanks

mattyl said:
Hey fellas
Got this half setup but motor going the wrong way.
Have tried switching the wiring on the starter cap around and no change.

attachicon.gif
20141002_190011.jpg
Not sure where to go with it now. Any help would be appreciated.
Will be pissed if I cant change the direction.

Thanks
Look at post #15 in this thread from Truman I think this will sort your problem.

So I got everything going with a motor that is the same as post #15. I think it is from a breville breadmaker.
Unfortunately it did not have enough power to crack the grain. Tried turning it on with grain in the hopper which resulted in nothing happening.
Took grain out, started her up again and trickled grain in. This worked briefly but as soon as grain numbers intensified she stopped again.
I run a pretty wide gap setting. It usually just cracks the grain. I have dismantled for now as I need the mill tomorrow.
Looks like im back to the electric drill.
Any input from anyone who got this motor to work.

Have a look at the circuit board too. A lot of components can be used for a arduino shield (mathos controller).

Semi-related, has anyone used a washing machine motor before? I have a spare one I salvaged. It is capacitor start as well. It seems to run on the fast side, but I think it should have enough power (I can't stop it by hand).

sgtpinky said:
Semi-related, has anyone used a washing machine motor before? I have a spare one I salvaged. It is capacitor start as well. It seems to run on the fast side, but I think it should have enough power (I can't stop it by hand).
Have thought about this myself. An old Malley's Whirlpool motor with 12-16uF start cap and the large drive pulley off the top of the gearbox. Not sure that they'd be that easy to find these days, but i reckon it would be a perfect setup.

mattyl said:
So I got everything going with a motor that is the same as post #15. I think it is from a breville breadmaker.
Unfortunately it did not have enough power to crack the grain. Tried turning it on with grain in the hopper which resulted in nothing happening.
Took grain out, started her up again and trickled grain in. This worked briefly but as soon as grain numbers intensified she stopped again.
I run a pretty wide gap setting. It usually just cracks the grain. I have dismantled for now as I need the mill tomorrow.
Looks like im back to the electric drill.
Any input from anyone who got this motor to work.

Anyone.
Dont wont people to go down the same path and realise after putting it all together that it doesnt work.

sgtpinky said:
'Been using an old washing machine motor to run my Corona mill for over 20 years. Not the best (ie. uniform crush - it tends to shred), but absolutely NO problems with grunt. Definitely runs fast & needs to be geared-down.

Got the motor all sorted but having trouble chasing a coupler ..any suggestions..everywhere seems outta stock

What sized coupler do you need? I have a 12mm to 1/2 inch that I purchased in error if that would help.

Grainer said:
Got the motor all sorted but having trouble chasing a coupler ..any suggestions..everywhere seems outta stock
I got mine from ebay but it took a few weeks. Have you tried Jaycar? Otherwise I think Spiesy(?) mentioned a place in Melbourne that put one together for him. Can't remember which thread that was mentioned in though.

Back