$25 grain mill motor from bread maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it should work. The main board would just send power to the motors board as you turn the controls on etc, but Ive sent the info to my dad to verify it for sure.

EDIT:- Here is his response.... So yes you can.

"All you need to do is:- connect the motor to the + and - terminals, then earth the motor to the earth terminal. Then connect AC Mains to Mot1 and Mot2 (either way) . don't forget to insulate the board all round. Put it in a plastic bottle etc."

Hey all, though i would post some picks of my motorised grain mill, havent quiet finished the top hopper section but the idea is to drill a hole on top of the table so a cut water bottle will feed the lower hopper on top of the mill then into a bucket. For those that want to connect the pulley to the mill i went to www.smallparts.com.au (not affiliated) and they have a coupling which goes from 8mm pulley shaft to 10mm mill shaft with a couple of grub screws.

2014-07-31 08.53.18.jpg

2014-07-31 08.40.27.jpg

2014-07-31 08.53.08.jpg

Thanks Truman (and your dad)!!!

Will give it a go tonight and buy a jiffy box from Jaycar.

pats said:
Hey all, though i would post some picks of my motorised grain mill, havent quiet finished the top hopper section but the idea is to drill a hole on top of the table so a cut water bottle will feed the lower hopper on top of the mill then into a bucket. For those that want to connect the pulley to the mill i went to www.smallparts.com.au (not affiliated) and they have a coupling which goes from 8mm pulley shaft to 10mm mill shaft with a couple of grub screws.

attachicon.gif
2014-07-31 08.53.18.jpg

attachicon.gif
2014-07-31 08.40.27.jpg

attachicon.gif
2014-07-31 08.53.08.jpg
Looks awesome Pats. And that coupler will come in handy for some too.

Thanks truman, yeah i tried to find something that didnt need maching due to budget, the company i got it from are great because they have alot of small machine parts that are normaly hard to find. If anyone wants the part number let me know.

pats said:
Thanks truman, yeah i tried to find something that didnt need maching due to budget, the company i got it from are great because they have alot of small machine parts that are normaly hard to find. If anyone wants the part number let me know.
I'd love to know the part number ... I've been wondering how to attach the wheel to the mill spindle

Edit: oh yeah! That setup looks amazing, very inspiring!

Cheers

Well good news, hooked up 240V and the multimeter .. 220VDC

Hooked up the motor and it hummed along beautifully!

Now to figure out how to mount it all :)

Thanks Truman for your help (and your dad's)

No more handheld drill crushes for me :beerbang:

Crouch said:
I'd love to know the part number ... I've been wondering how to attach the wheel to the mill spindle
Part no is cp-080-100-25-025-r-3g
description - coupling - rigid - set screw
8mm x 10mm

Well had a bit of a chance to play with this on the weekend. Wired everything up and could get the motor to run but only with a bit of manual help to get things going, couldn't get the capacitor to kick it off. Rather than muck about I am waiting to get some qualified eyes to have a look at it for me.

Fortunately the brew for yesterday was a mild so the hand crank wasn't too laborious!

Hey Guys,

I just managed to score myself a bread maker, pulled it apart this morning and the motor says it 1/28 HP which equates to FA or 26.6 Watts. The gearing is 17/140, about 1:8.2.

I'm just wondering if this is a complete waste of time due to a serious lack of power. If other people have found motors which have more power can you let me know the brand and model of bread makers. I just don't want to tearing down working bread makers for no reason.

Thanks in advance.

5150 said:
Hey Guys,

I just managed to score myself a bread maker, pulled it apart this morning and the motor says it 1/28 HP which equates to FA or 26.6 Watts. The gearing is 17/140, about 1:8.2.

I'm just wondering if this is a complete waste of time due to a serious lack of power. If other people have found motors which have more power can you let me know the brand and model of bread makers. I just don't want to tearing down working bread makers for no reason.

Thanks in advance.
What was the make/model of the one you have? Might help to list those that just don't have it in them too...

I pulled apart a breadman but couldn't tell you if it works or not as I still haven't been able to wire it up so it runs. The start capacitor was on the circuit board so I took it off but haven't had a chance to fiddle with the wiring.

From other peoples experience I assume there are other bread makers that are much easier to convert than the breadman and given the cost it might be easier to get another one.

Not sure the power would be an issue, they all knead dough which would take a bit of torque so should be fine, especially if your electronic skills are better than mine!

Thanks for your reply contrarian, Yeah, I've got the same issue with the cap being soldered to the board. I haven't removed it yet and still have all the wiring together, so I could still possibly use this motor and mount the bread control panel on my mill bench and just set it to Dough. I was more concerned with the power output, but as you said, they all have to knead dough.

My other option is there is a Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake BM7800 locally that I could probably get for about $20. Has anyone else used one of these?

Cheers.

Just pulled apart a bread machine from hard rubbish, a Sunbeam BM3500. It has the separate capacitor, and a case that does not yield to non-destructive means. Now to work out which wires are who...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409834188.198590.jpg

I scored a free breadmaker locally that was going to the tip due only to the cooking container's coating peeling off.
I'm excited! I'm going to try my luck using the knurled ends of a weight lifting barbell as the textured rollers.

ohgoodthinking99 said:
I scored a free breadmaker locally that was going to the tip due only to the cooking container's coating peeling off.
I'm excited! I'm going to try my luck using the knurled ends of a weight lifting barbell as the textured rollers.
I'd be wary whether the bar is chromed or stainless/mild steel, would pay to check

sp0rk said:
I'd be wary whether the bar is chromed or stainless/mild steel, would pay to check
Good point, thanks. I don't have the bar yet, so I'll be shopping around the OpShops, Cash Converters, tip shop and keeping that in mind.

Wifey just gave me permission to rip apart the bread maker..so I have to go through this thread and build me one..

Grainer said:
Wifey just gave me permission to rip apart the bread maker..so I have to go through this thread and build me one..
Doh..she renegged and gave me the mixer.. but it is all exposed capacitors and shaft is different..maybe back to the drawing board..or hard rubbish is out if I get really lucky??

Latest posts

Back