$25 grain mill motor from bread maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattyl said:
Anyone.
Dont wont people to go down the same path and realise after putting it all together that it doesnt work.
Can you put up a pic of your setup and wiring?

mattyl said:
So I got everything going with a motor that is the same as post #15. I think it is from a breville breadmaker.
Unfortunately it did not have enough power to crack the grain. Tried turning it on with grain in the hopper which resulted in nothing happening.
Took grain out, started her up again and trickled grain in. This worked briefly but as soon as grain numbers intensified she stopped again.
I run a pretty wide gap setting. It usually just cracks the grain. I have dismantled for now as I need the mill tomorrow.
Looks like im back to the electric drill.
Any input from anyone who got this motor to work.
These motors should be about the same in all bread makers. other than some are AC and some DC but that doesnt matter.

If they can turn a lump of sticky dough they should run a grain mill no problems. Although I have found that if I stop the motor mid crush and try to start it again i have to spin the pulley by hand to get it started again. Not that I stop mid crush generally anyway so its usually not a problem. However i think it might be a clue to yours. You say you have a wide gap and Im wondering if grain is falling down into the the gap and causing the motor to stall. Try it on a smaller gap setting 1mm or less and see how it goes.

If that is your problem and you want to use a larger gap (although if it just cracks your grain your not going to get very good efficiency) then try a different pulley size to increase torque.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413192103.022095.jpg
Do you recon one like this would work

To those asking about specific models of bread makers being suitable as motor donors, I would think they all will work just fine.
Mine happened to be a 220VDC motor.
The source AC went to the main controller board (and was transformed to 14VDC for use with the buttons etc)
The same original AC was routed out the motor's circuit board by the controller, in pulses of course for making bread.
It's there that it's converted to DC for the motor.
It was easy to take to the controller board out of the loop and connect the source AC (via the switch still) direct to the motor's board.

My next challange is to work out how to connect a roller to my big wheel!

1521586_10204826641805308_6362382004473317436_n.jpg

Grainer said:
Found a sunbeam on the way home after beerfest same as urs ...now gotta work out all the wiring.. same as u :(
Where are you guys finding these?! The best things I've every found out and about is a broken thong and half eaten curry!

gumtree.already got a mill motor so will use mine in a 500-1200g coffee roaster.

Hey All,
I got a Breville 1.5Kg Bread Maker from the local Recycle place for $10. As my mill shaft and the Breadmaker's shaft were the same diameter, I used one of the bearings from the Breadmaker as a coupling. It spins at about 80 rpm and does not even grunt under a full hopper of grain. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi guys,
for those of you with the AC motors that are running the wrong way, turn the large rectangular capacitor around!
Make sure you leave any and all fuses intact! If possible remove the boards in their entirety! Most motor driver boards will be separate to keep the motor noise away from the delicate control circuitry!
If the motor doesn't have enough grunt, then either decrease the pulley size on the motor, or increase the pulley size on the drive.
Be wary of overloading the DC motors from the ac appliances that use rectifiers! Usually they are low current diodes. You can replace these with bigger rectifiers if you need more current, but remember, a lot of these motors have thin wiring so that's also something to think about!
If they have filters and smoothing capacitors on additional boards, make sure you keep these intact!

If you can find multiple bread makers and one doesn't have the right motor, make sure you keep the gears! They may come in handy for the one you find that does have the grunt, but maybe not the correct speed!

What you guys are doing looks like a heck of a lot of fun! I wish I had time to do this stuff!
Good luck!

I got my bread maker on ghe weekend. It made big loaf bread so it has 2 pulley wheels. The motor has 4 wires coming out of it? 2 are blue which i guess make 3 wires. I have a sparky mate who said he can rig up a fancy on off switch for it. But id like to have it workin asap and hes not known for being in a hurry. Do i hook it straight to the mains with the cap as in the qiring diagram? If i can get it mostly wired and get him to check it i might save some time.

1430100577721.jpg

1430100638817.jpg

1430100685690.jpg

Truman said:
Your motor could be a 12volt motor. Some of them do have 12 volt motors. So dont go hooking up 240v to it. Post some pictures of the motor and the circuit board.

You can still use a 12volt motor you just have to keep the circuit board intact.
Ok so I wont be hooking it up to a power point then :blink: Ill have to use a drill until I can get a sparky to help me. It helps to read the whole thread :lol:

Wait...good old you tube. As it turns out I can hook it up to 240 B) At least I can knock up a mill stand, wire it up and then get it checked out. Im gonna use the housing from the bread machine too so it will hopefully be pretty neat.

Gave up on the bread maker and did this after the bread mill failed to operate properly !

20151012_131217.jpg

20151012_131210.jpg

Grainer said:
Gave up on the bread maker and did this after the bread mill failed to operate properly !

Yeah, its ok, a little better than a bread maker.........

Mate, that is fantastic, great job. What does the second dial and push button do? Fan speed and switch?

petentiometer incase a rock gets caught it stops the motor and motor speed..the other buttons are a brake and reset

Sorry to drag up an old old thread but after joining in on the mill BB I was looking for motor options. I already have a drill with adjustable speed which should work but I am keen to build something I can just flick on and off. Keen to understand if anyone is still using a bread machine motor to drive their mill and if so any hints on finding a suitable donor. My only thought at present is to look for one that is able to make larger loaves, hoping that means the motor has a little more torque to handle the dough and therefore should be OK to handle milling the grain.

Last edited:
I had one going at first from a bigger machine i found on Gumtree. It wouldnt work under load. I has to turn it on first and then slowly trickle in the grain in. If i filled the hopper too much it would jam and id have to start all over again.

Eventually i bit the bullet and got the Motion Dynamaics motor which i highly recommend. Set and foget. Mills about 12kg of grain in about 15min without shreading it.

Yeah, it was actually your post that made me ask the question, don't want to waste time/money sorting out the bread machine motor if it just isn't good enough

Theres could be something im missing because im pretty useless with electrics but if you fillow the wiring diagtam that comes with the MD motor then you cant go wrong. I reckon a good mill deserves a good motor.

Latest posts

Back