Buttons on Motion Dynamics DC Worm Drive Motor for Malt Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eloschgimpel

Reaction score
I've recently purchased Motion Dynamics' worm drive motor to replace my high torque power drill as driver for my Mashmaster mill. As opposed to the previous time I checked, MD were now offering a new sensing controller design that automatically stops the motor if something like a rock gets stuck in the rollers.

I finally have some time to assemble the new kit, but I'm not sure about the included buttons. There are two, a red push button (i. E. Only on while pressed down) and a green on/off switch. The mill controller has two clamp connectors for these buttons, simply called switch 1 & 2 in the schematics on their website:

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/images/sensecontrol.jpg

The way I've currently got the controller wired up, the red push button temporarily stops the motor (I reckon an on/off switch like the green one would make more sense, so I might switch the two)

But what does the other switch input do? It currently has absolutely no visible effect.

Also is there a way to reverse the mill if I have to?

I know I should best be asking MD directly, but sadly they are shut over the holidays, and I'd love to get the project done before 2016 ;-)

Was hoping maybe someone here has the unit and can shed some light on the switch mystery.

Cheers, e

I wired up my motor last night but im not sure which one connects to where?
The way i understand it if you have a stone caught in the rollers the green button turns it off. Once you get the stone out the red button resets the torque sensor, you turn it on with the green button and then you continue.

If you have the red button as on/off did you you wire it to iput 1 or input 2?

The red temporary switch is currently on inout 2, the green on/off is on input 1.

Guess I need to swap the two around?
And do I understand right, there's no way to manually put the mill in reverse?

Might as well get some different switches from Jaycar, as cutting out 12mm x 12mm holes for the supplied buttons is a lot more effort than drilling a simple hole ;-)

look at the original thread it is all there...

Hi Grainer. Thanks for pointing out that thread:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44766-mill-motors/?p=1309773

Unfortunately it still doesn't help me. The manufacturer states there should be two momentary push buttons, i.e. single pole switches that are normally open and only close the connection when depressed. One of these is supposed to trigger the brake, the other is supposed to reset the brake (after it was engaged manually or via current overload). However I have been sent only one momentary push button (red) and a single pole single throw on/off switch (green), which remains closed after being depressed, until pressed again.
Of course half depressing or quickly pressing it on and then off does the same as a momentary push button. But even so, connecting the red momentary button (or another one I've had lying around) to S2, will not engage and hold the brake until pressing the reset button on S1, but instead it only holds the mill as long as the button is depressed. Makes me wonder if the reset works after an overload. In any case I think I'll just put the red momentary button on S1, to serve as reset (hopefully) and the green toggle on S2 as a brake. That said I'll probably not want to put my hands anywhere near the rollers when they are jammed unless the controller is fully without power. Not sure I want to trust my digits to a 5c switch ;-)

Depending on whether I ever need it, I might add a DPDT switch to be able to control the polarity and thus direction. Might come in handy to reverse the mill if something really gets lodged in the rollers.

I think you only get one momentary on/off switch, which is what is received. My understanding is the momentary on/off is connected to terminals c/d (sw1) whilst the single pole throw on/off switch is connected to terminals e/f (sw2). Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back