2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benn said:
Whoops, I must have read read your post wrong the other day when I was asking about my Victoria. I cut all the thin bines off in favour of the thicker darker bines:) I just cut back some more new shoots last night. The thing is going crazy.
You want the healthier, thicker bines, but not the bull shoots. From the photo, it looks like a bull shoot as the node distance appears to be much larger than the others. You'll be fine, the other 2 bines appear to be normal. If you have a third like that, train it and cut the bull shoot. If not, no big stress.

Cheers BB, I'll post a Pic tonight.
..I promised myself that this season I wouldn't obsess over my hops like I did last season. Just water them, feed them and let them do their thing.
That went out the window weeks ago, I can't fucken help myself!

Belgrave Brewer said:
The first growth longer and faster growing shoots on second year plants and older are bull shoots. They should be cut back as they are fast growers which have a more hollow center and a longer distance between nodes. They will still produce hop cones, but have a tendency to break easier and produce less cones due to the longer node distance. Train the second growth and cut the thinner bines as they come out. You are wanting to force any growth into the ones you train up.

On first year rhizomes, let most of the bines grow to assist in root development.
So am I to understand, you spend most of the season cutting back new growth at the base, to promote growth in the 3-4 bines that are growing in height?

Last year it really seemed like it never stopped trying to grow new bines... but perhaps that was because I wasn't ruthless enough in cutting them back?

I will cut off that bull shoot this afternoon.

Matplat said:
So am I to understand, you spend most of the season cutting back new growth at the base, to promote growth in the 3-4 bines that are growing in height?

Last year it really seemed like it never stopped trying to grow new bines... but perhaps that was because I wasn't ruthless enough in cutting them back?

I will cut off that bull shoot this afternoon.
Last year was my first year so I let everything grow to help establish root development. The plan this year is to cut everything back except what goes up the strings. I'll just do that as part of my weeding management over the growing season. I've gone 3 bines per string, 2 strings per plant, and left a spare in case one gets damaged. I spent 10 hours this week cutting back 120 plants. My plants are in mounds though, not in pots.

Benn said:
Cheers BB, I'll post a Pic tonight.
..I promised myself that this season I wouldn't obsess over my hops like I did last season. Just water them, feed them and let them do their thing.
Good luck not obsessing. LOL

Mine's going along reasonably well. The Fuggle plant has a number of laterals on it now, and the Hallertau "second coming" shoots are coming up quite quickly as well. Not sure what's going on with the Cascade but being a first year rhizome I'm just pretty much letting it do whatever it likes. It has a lot of lateral shoots poking out of it, plus 2 or 3 new shoots coming out of the ground (which can't be seen in the pic)

Not the greatest of pics but here goes; Fuggle first, Cascade second, Hallertau third

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

Benn said:
I promised myself that this season I wouldn't obsess over my hops like I did last season. Just water them, feed them and let them do their thing.
Let them go feral but attend to them when you can or they go a bitty crazy ha.
Gotta post some pics but the variables are freaky in my garden at the moment.
First to pop up 8 weeks ago were 1st year Red Earth that has been dormant ever since. In total contrast is the last to pop up was a second year Chinook. A very late start to break out of bed only 3 weeks ago. It has gone berserk as the most growth in like a few weeks. 7mm thick multiple climbers with multiple laterals. It is totally freaky.

The Victoria Rhizomes I got of you are flying along for 1st Years, Combined with Belgrave Brewers Vic from last year they are slowly forming a "neighbors be gone" screen across the back yard.
Red Earth; 2017 season is still in it's infancy but, I wouldn't mind a snippet for next years crop if you end up harvesting Zhomes.

Danscraftbeer said:
Let them go feral but attend to them when you can or they go a bitty crazy ha.
Gotta post some pics but the variables are freaky in my garden at the moment.
First to pop up 8 weeks ago were 1st year Red Earth that has been dormant ever since. In total contrast is the last to pop up was a second year Chinook. A very late start to break out of bed only 3 weeks ago. It has gone berserk as the most growth in like a few weeks. 7mm thick multiple climbers with multiple laterals. It is totally freaky.
Yeah, that's Chinook. So different from other varieties. Late to the party and then 1st to hit the top wire.

What do u guys recommend I spray with.
I have small green caterpillars eating my leaves.

My Saaz and Dr Rudi are going apeshit but the Cascade has been attacked by something and has been dormant for a while, but there are more shoots coming up now.
I'll get some Yates Success today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My Dr Rudi was nearly at the top of the frame a couple of days ago so not being able to reach the top I taped the landing net to a length of reo bar and managed to sit on top. Then I got some trap line with a snapper sinker on the end and chucked it through the hole and tied it back to the frame so it can't swing around in the wind.

These plants rock.

image.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
Or thumb and forefinger
Good idea, lucky I still have both of those.

image.jpg

The big green shed stock it. It can be kinda hard to find but its tucked away near the other organic products like eco oil in the the pesticides section.

S.A....Grow there anywhere in pots...even if your in a rental.
First year Cascade(US) & Fuggles(UK)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back