2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on this guys ?
doctr-dan said:
One of the bines seems to be dying from the top down??
Any suggestions?
attachicon.gif
IMG_0508.JPG

Camo6 said:
Do you have the space and/or demand?
Speak to me of cuttings.

I had caterpillars eat out the meristems of two of my bines, one survived the other didn't. If I can take cuttings off one of the other (healthy) bines that would be great. What treatment do they need, when should they be cut, anything else that I need to know?

Bloody caterpillars... they've been an issue in my plants too although they haven't caused enough problems to kill them. I poisoned the bastards and they haven't returned yet. I had one or two bines that had their ends chewed off by something and they began shooting again from nodes lower down.

Yeah the one that survived has just begun resprouting, hopefully it will get going soon. It is ~30 cm tall while its mate in the same pot has just passed two metres.

Got the rest of the trellis up yesterday, I put a 3.2 metre crossbar at the top of the 6 metre tall chimney on the north side of the house and ran strings down to the bines. My wife says it looks very nautical, kinda appropriate for Williamstown.

While I'm here can someone give me a rough metric for how much soil / potting mix is needed in litres per bine when grown in pots? I don't think I have enough and if I'm going to add more it is probably best to do it now.

^ Yes that is the question.
Wachey said:
Is it worth while taking some cuttings from the lower laterals?
I am but its no trouble for me, I've got pvc cylinder thingies in my Aquaponics I just dunk them in and they sprout mega roots etc.
I could put out dozens of them, maybe sell em on ebay? I'm not sure it would be worth it but anyone in my vicinity pick up on this
could pick up some propagated Cascade cuttings from me. I don't have any room to really take advantage of this.
Payment would just be, oh, a bottle of your good beer? PM etc. The offer is genuine.

Rocker1986 said:
Bloody caterpillars... they've been an issue in my plants too although they haven't caused enough problems to kill them. I poisoned the bastards and they haven't returned yet. I had one or two bines that had their ends chewed off by something and they began shooting again from nodes lower down.
I'm sure I remember you saying you use Dipel? Its the go. Use it as a regular control thing. I only use it every 4 weeks maybe as the moth/caterpillar colony control. Or if those buggers get over the top its more like once a week foliar spray.
Forget humanity when it comes to gardening pests its more like population control.

Not Dipel but I use Yates Success. I normally spray the leaves once a week or so as it does work as a residual control as well as killing them on contact if there are any on the plants. It does a good job though.

I have a Second year Chinook that is going crazy, not so much in height but in mass, it's a healthy green Afro of bines. Several of which have began climbing the 4x 4meter strings I have in place. So far there are about 12-15 bines of varying size and thickness. What should I do? Do I let the 4 leading bines climb and cut the rest off at the ground or cut off the longer thinner bines that have began to climb in favour of the much thicker bines that have recently emerged?
I have a similar situation developing with my Victoria & Cascade plants as well.
Cheers

Edit: Regarding the Chinook, I could also add more strings if need be, plenty of room for that.

Benn said:
I have a Second year Chinook that is going crazy, not so much in height but in mass, it's a healthy green Afro of bines. Several of which have began climbing the 4x 4meter strings I have in place. So far there are about 12-15 bines of varying size and thickness. What should I do? Do I let the 4 leading bines climb and cut the rest off at the ground or cut off the longer thinner bines that have began to climb in favour of the much thicker bines that have recently emerged?
I have a similar situation developing with my Victoria & Cascade plants as well.
Cheers

Edit: Regarding the Chinook, I could also add more strings if need be, plenty of room for that.
That is all good questions?
About space conservation. Getting the most out of small spaces.
I am a keen learner of this.
I'm thinking to let it all go. Any weak skinny climbers should be cut and removed. Otherwise think climbers can go as far as they can. Buy then its 1/2 to 3/4 through the season and you could cut the tips if they go too far. Then favour all the flowering.

After 5 weeks of SFA my plant decided that summer has arrived and it's time for action. The initial couple of dozen shoots seem to have all frozen at 10cm or less - they're still bright green - but I have 5 new shoots that have emerged since Tuesday and the tallest of these just hit 6 inches today. None of the harvested rhizomes appear to be happy, I got a couple of tiny leaves pop up a few weeks ago but they're dry and shrivelled now.

Benn said:
Cheers

The first growth longer and faster growing shoots on second year plants and older are bull shoots. They should be cut back as they are fast growers which have a more hollow center and a longer distance between nodes. They will still produce hop cones, but have a tendency to break easier and produce less cones due to the longer node distance. Train the second growth and cut the thinner bines as they come out. You are wanting to force any growth into the ones you train up.

On first year rhizomes, let most of the bines grow to assist in root development.

Thanks for your input BB,
The Chinook in question is a Rhizome I got from you last season.
I've also got one of your Victoria Zhomes from last season as well that is going similarly well as the Chinook. Good stock:)

Benn said:
Thanks for your input BB,
The Chinook in question is a Rhizome I got from you last season.
I've also got one of your Victoria Zhomes from last season as well that is going similarly well as the Chinook. Good stock:)
Was that the monster Chinook rhizome that was over 30cm long? It'll be a beast. :) Happy growing!

Just little ones in small pots that I picked up from the tap house last September.

The growth this year has been amazing if not a little scary. First year fertlising them after 10 years of thinking that horse manure in winter was sufficient.

1478990539188.jpg

1478990596754.jpg

DrSmurto said:
The growth this year has been amazing if not a little scary. First year fertlising them after 10 years of thinking that horse manure in winter was sufficient.
most picture's being displayed are showing masses of thick lower growth this season.
I cut back all my Hersbrucker as the first growth was pretty ordinary, just chucked one in a shallow dish with only tap water.

1478999265682.jpg

1478999329224.jpg

1478999413074.jpg

DrSmurto said:
Flood plain nutrients? ;)

Belgrave Brewer said:
Flood plain nutrients? ;)
There could be something in that. The other plants that were flooded (raspberries, boysenberries, apples, pears, rhubarb) are also going gangbusters although i have been fertilising them too.

DrSmurto said:
Don't suppose you've got any rhizomes that may have been tucked away in the fridge for sale? - I know I'm a bit late to the party.
The Chinook and Cascade you supplied a few seasons back are still going from strength to strength, despite my at times, appalling indifference.

Dave70 said:
Don't suppose you've got any rhizomes that may have been tucked away in the fridge for sale? - I know I'm a bit late to the party.
The Chinook and Cascade you supplied a few seasons back are still going from strength to strength, despite my at times, appalling indifference.
Sorry mate, sold out early this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back