2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My hop rhizome is doing nothing. Well, that's not entirely true - I did replant it from a pot to the garden and saw some big arsed roots that weren't there before but nothing sprouting out of the top :(

It should start sprouting soon.. patience.

As for everyone getting all that rain, you're welcome to send some of it up my way if you like, save me using the bloody sprinkler for a while :lol:

Mine have a few little sprouts poking up now.
After last years debacle, can anyone recommend a good fertiliser?
I've replanted my Rizo from last year to a better pot and a better location but the rizo needs to be fed.

Stu Brew said:
If its only a part Id be inclined to cut it off and throw it away!! You dont want it spreading to the healthy portions. Make sure you used a clean and sterile knife. Make sure the bed is draining well too! maybe just add some more airy stuff like perlite to the soil roots going mushy is probably lack of oxygen getting to the roots, so your water must be pooling a bit? Even just cut it off and throw some sand or something on top something that drains well.
You definitely didn't see my flood photos, but it's not been high for months.
The soil is quite well-drained, but I feel the need to dig the rhizome out and inspect it. Maybe it's a bit low with respect to the water table, and the rhizome was small when I got it 3 years ago.
I'll probably split the rhizome and replant in a few plots.
It's my only Cascade, and I heard about great yields but got nothing yet.

Here in Southern Vic I can only report on my freak. My Aquaponic Cascade, stump?
50 cent coin at base for reference. B)
Most shoots above ground/(20mm gravel) and exposed all through winter. Its seems to be slowly waking up.

All my other Hops in dirt are under sugar cane mulch and still sleeping in. Late risers but they pay out well later in season.

Its going to be interesting wrangling this through the next season.

Bought 3 chinook rhizomes off eBay, they seemed kinda small but planted them 2 weeks ago. Absolutely zero soil preparation, watered them a couple of times for a few days then flew out for work for 8 days. We've had a little bit of rain but nothing much. Got home from work this afternoon to find this. Pretty stoked for my first go, hopefully the other 2 wake up soon!
IMG_0838.JPG

A.B. said:
Nice setup Dan, what sort of fishies?
Mostly Silver Perch and some Tanadanus catfish. Both top eating quality. I can vouch for the silvers good eating so far.

Ignoring the 6 stitches in my hand and laid some cable today!

3rd time is so much easier. I know what im doing, how im doing it and the easiest most efficient way to do it!

Im building the main trellis on the ground then we're going to lift it in one piece as we put the central wire in to help hold everything up nice and high! Then I can tension it all from the ground.

This is probably the hardest bit of hops farming to be completely honest....building stupid high trellises its certainly not for those afraid of heights, or anyone with bad balance. Standing on top of a ladder with 2 points of contact holding cable in one hand and an impact driver in the other....but really its just got to be done and if I dont do it, it'll cost me $3000 for someone else to do it for me!! Separating the men from the boys......just a bit of cable!

14322567_10154517955806660_3002472487518979231_n.jpg

14333779_10154517956106660_693585305781094_n.jpg

Cascade has just poked it's head up. Mt Hood and Chinook still sleeping...

Stu Brew said:

3rd time is so much easier. I know what im doing, how im doing it and the easiest most efficient way to do it!

Im building the main trellis on the ground then we're going to lift it in one piece as we put the central wire in to help hold everything up nice and high! Then I can tension it all from the ground.

This is probably the hardest bit of hops farming to be completely honest....building stupid high trellises its certainly not for those afraid of heights, or anyone with bad balance. Standing on top of a ladder with 2 points of contact holding cable in one hand and an impact driver in the other....but really its just got to be done and if I dont do it, it'll cost me $3000 for someone else to do it for me!! Separating the men from the boys......just a bit of cable!
Cut yourself on a corny keg Stu?

Stu Brew said:
Stu Brew, how'd you fair with all the rain etc the other day ?, I can't see a river running through in the pics.

AJ80 said:
Cascade has just poked it's head up. Mt Hood and Chinook still sleeping...
Mt hood up today. Victoria is already the best part of a foot up its string.

spog said:
Stu Brew, how'd you fair with all the rain etc the other day ?, I can't see a river running through in the pics.
Oh there was river....Thing is I havnt planted yet ;) cause who would want to be that guy....they'd all be out at sea by now!! Things are doing well in pots at the moment....the crowns in the ground are just about to shoot. TBH im actually happy about this rain...since I have stitches in one hand im protecting im going pretty slow atm. The crowns are happy af about the rain and 'minor flooding' according to the BOM. Will update Target tomorrow...dont want to upset anyone!

styrianbull.jpg

swag.jpg

Just thought I'd contribute to this thread. These are my first year plants (cascade and Hersbrucker) in a wicking bed here in Brisbane.

IMG_20160918_114224-768x1024.jpg

IMG_20160918_114245-768x1024.jpg

IMG_20160918_114303-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20160918_114321-768x1024.jpg

Finally my cascade has popped up through. First time growing and whilst not as nervous as a parent, certainly up there :)

Now I best hurry to move the barrel and attach the strings.

How do people attach them into the ground? Tent pegs? Swords? Bury a small child at the bottom?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474170334.885058.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474170368.144551.jpg

Futur said:
Just thought I'd contribute to this thread. These are my first year plants (cascade and Hersbrucker) in a wicking bed here in Brisbane.
Have you tried to grow anything that deep rooted in a wicking bed before?

Love my wicking beds for herbs and vegies but they are reasonably shallow rooted plants. Hops have a monster tap root and a habit of spreading so will take over your wicking bed completely.

DrSmurto said:
Have you tried to grow anything that deep rooted in a wicking bed before?
Love my wicking beds for herbs and vegies but they are reasonably shallow rooted plants. Hops have a monster tap root and a habit of spreading so will take over your wicking bed completely.
No I haven't, this is my first time using the wicking bed and first year growing hops. It has a soil depth of about 40cm and it's dedicated just to the two hop plants. So it doesn't really matter if it takes it over completely. If they don't work this season I'll transfer the rhizomes out of the bed into solid ground I guess.

Drsmurto have you had success growing in a wicking bed before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back