2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The full moon next Saturday should make them spring up.

Second year Cascade has started :)

gbLipM4.jpg

Second year Tettnang is also coming up in Canberra, this is just 2 of 5 clusters of shoots coming up. Last year it was one small rhizome how things change.

Chinook, Super alpha, Cascade and Golding are all holding out.

8112016161523.jpg

8112016115219.jpg

Exile said:
Second year Cascade has started :)

gbLipM4.jpg
Frame that pic and hang it on the brew room wall,nice crisp and clear pic !

A.B. said:
My Chinooks are also still sleeping here in Canberra.
I checked this arvo, after mowing the front yard (small acreage) and started weeding the hop plots (1.2 m squares), and both the Cascade and Chinook are out of the ground.

Q: Problem, the Cascade looks like parts of the rhizome are mushy. Do I dig it out and replant a bit higher after more backfill, before it gets too big.

Only weeded the two so far, but still have the Mt Hood, Hallertau, Perle and Hersbrucker to check after weed removal.

Here ya go DrSmurto.

Styrian Golding are going...still need to move them though. Still raining and they were a foot under water last Thursday after that 36mm in 90 mins we got here.

Columbus crown that was potted up and enjoying itself. Columbus down the back are getting ready to kick my arse!!

Target are moving I have them in the hothouse at the moment in coir if its good enough to raise veggie seedling its good enough for the hops. Will check on them tomorrow.

Styriangolding.jpg

Columbuszomes.jpg

Columbusinpot.jpg

Les the Weizguy said:
I checked this arvo, after mowing the front yard (small acreage) and started weeding the hop plots (1.2 m squares), and both the Cascade and Chinook are out of the ground.

Q: Problem, the Cascade looks like parts of the rhizome are mushy. Do I dig it out and replant a bit higher after more backfill, before it gets too big.

Only weeded the two so far, but still have the Mt Hood, Hallertau, Perle and Hersbrucker to check after weed removal.
If its only a part Id be inclined to cut it off and throw it away!! You dont want it spreading to the healthy portions. Make sure you used a clean and sterile knife. Make sure the bed is draining well too! maybe just add some more airy stuff like perlite to the soil roots going mushy is probably lack of oxygen getting to the roots, so your water must be pooling a bit? Even just cut it off and throw some sand or something on top something that drains well.

Bulls on parade....still need moving these crazy critters!

styrianbull.jpg

considering buying some rhizomes tonight off ebay. is it too late to plant or go for it you reckon?

Go for it dude!
What's the worst that can happen?

Yep.. I didn't plant my rhizomes last year until nearly November and they did fine. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

image.jpeg
Faark we've had some rain lately, the mulch is about to float away from my Chinook.
Where's the sunshine ffs.

Both my Mt hood and chinook are poking through now!
Mostly coming up around the edge of the pots.

When it comes yo putting up some wires is it as simple as one wire per vine or is that over kill?

Whelp.. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the odd 20 sqm of dead space behind my house that just has weeds growing, then I found this thread.. Cascade rhizome purchased off ebay this morning , will turn the soil over this arvo and fill it with some of my already prepped soil and perlite mix that I've got left over from this years chili plantation

doctr-dan said:
Mostly coming up around the edge of the pots.
Me too (the one I put in a pot on my balcony). Why is that? Something to do with the heat retained in the walls of the pot?

I have a creek running across my hops yard.....fark this rain!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back