2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can probably get a ballpark figure from averages of commercially available hops of the same variety. I did see a rough way of working it out at home by making a hop tea with some of them, tasting it, then diluting it and repeating. The number of dilutions it takes before it stops tasting bitter is the approx. AA percentage. That's a very simplified explanation of it though... it is on this site, I found it through googling.

Danscraftbeer said:
Have you used Mosaic?). :p
I'm a dick, I did mean magnum.... I have never used mosaic. Yes magnum is what I meant, just something with little flavour to bitter and then go with my chinook....

Thanks
Beercus

beercus said:
Harvested 300g chinook yesterday, drying as I write. Thinking about making a chinook ( single hop) pale ale and was wondering if I go with the 13%alpha and leaf as stated by brew smith or should I adjust...

First time brewing with my own hops, also first time brewing with chinook.....
Thanks
Beercus
I've been using my homegrown hops for bittering, flavour and aroma for years now. It takes some trial and error so starting off with a known bittering hop is a sensible first point.

Even brewed an all homegrown IIPA which was phenomenal.

Does this Victoria hop cone look like it's nearly ready for picking? The leaves have not turned fully "papery" yet so I'm guessing they're still a few days minimum away from being ready for harvest. My question is more to do with the colour of the Lupulin, I've heard it should darken when it's finally ready?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpeg
Cheers,

Benn said:
Does this Victoria hop cone look like it's nearly ready for picking? The leaves have not turned fully "papery" yet so I'm guessing they're still a few days minimum away from being ready for harvest. My question is more to do with the colour of the Lupulin, I've heard it should darken when it's finally ready?
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Cheers,
Definitely not ready.

Picked 67g (wet) of chinook last night - drying on screens and already down to 36g. While small, stoked to get any at all from a first year plant. Cascade not quite ready for picking and Mt hood a week away at least.

I got 492g of wet Chinook on Saturday. Dried it and packaged only 100g today. I'm not sure it was really ready so good thing i left another 2-300g on the bines to ripen a bit more.

Pulling out my goldings hops,rhizomes planted at start of this season strong growing but no fruit from the first crop.i dont want them to get mixed up with my cascade so am going to dig them up and just grow one type. Available for free. Pick up medowie or could drop off maitland/pokolbin area.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456748497.980556.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1456748537.349738.jpg
Got some serious picking coming up. One small bine picked for 400gm dried Chinook so far. Looks like I'll have the sticky black resin fingers for a couple of weeks!!

Benn said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Cheers,
I've just started picking some Victoria, it's lagging a bit behind the other varieties. It should look like this.

victoria_lupulin_26_2_16_1.jpg

Belgrave Brewer said:
I've just started picking some Victoria, it's lagging a bit behind the other varieties. It should look like this.
Have you been in the blackberry patch too?

Maybe its just the contrast with that gold lupulin that makes your hands look purple!

Help, what is causing this? All my runners have had there heads chewed off...Caterpillars? They are 1st year in largish pots and get a reasonable amount of feeding and water..

IMG_20160302_092954.jpg

IMG_20160302_092959.jpg

IMG_20160302_093021.jpg

Either caterpillars or grasshoppers. I've had a few grasshoppers on mine that haven't quite chewed the heads off but they have chewed off the leaves/leaf stems on some bines. I kill the bastards when I find them on there.

I did have one that had its head chewed off by something, probably a caterpillar. After a short while it simply threw out lateral shoots and these kept growing upwards, replacing the original 'stalk'.

Ill be after some chinook and mt hood rhizomes when the times right guys! Harvests are looking good

Birds also like to do that. Bastards. I get king parrots landing on the strings and nipping the runners off. Caterpillars and grasshoppers would probably eat the leaves before chewing through the main vine.

Latest posts

Back