2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curly79 said:
Well done BB. That sounds like bloody hard work mate. I'll keep an eye out for the harvest Ale. How long does it take to dry the flowers. I can't remember if it's one week or two? For us at home I mean,not using commercial equipment.
C79, maybe a build is in order for next years harvest.
I saw some where that BYO had pics of a drying box,it was about 900 mm cube with shelves for the racks inside ,it was on legs to allow for ventilation in through holes in the base with a 12 volt fan in the top to pull air through.
Drying hops in a box like this would help keep dust etc off of them if you do t have a dedicated area.

spog said:
I saw some where that BYO had pics of a drying box,it was about 900 mm cube with shelves for the racks inside ,it was on legs to allow for ventilation in through holes in the base with a 12 volt fan in the top to pull air through.
Drying hops in a box like this would help keep dust etc off of them if you do t have a dedicated area.
Are you saying that chicken wire draped over two kegs and an esky then weighed down with a vacuum pump is not up to scratch?[emoji6]

But yes. Your right. Definitely next year. I should have a couple more varieties by then.

spog said:
Are you saying that chicken wire draped over two kegs and an esky then weighed down with a vacuum pump is not up to scratch?[emoji6]

But yes. Your right. Definitely next year. I should have a couple more varieties by then.

Harvested my Chinook the other day, managed to get a touch over a kilo wet. Its dried out to 240g, so I'm pretty happy with that, much more than last year. I had a few issues with soil quality and water frequency this year, so i reckon next year will be bigger and better!
as I don't have a vac sealer, put the dried hops into a ziplock and compressed them in a bench vice to make a hop brick. kind of like a plug, but flat. The ziplocks aren't air tight, but should do for storage for a week (in the freezer), by which time they will be vacuum sealed at our HB club meeting.
2016 Chinook.jpg

Also, when picking, next to where a bunch of cones were hanging on a bine, there were some knobbly things, that looked like really small cones. Not thin delicate things like burrs, but just like tiny bobbly bits. Any idea what these are?
knobbly bits.jpg

Alex.Tas said:
Harvested my Chinook the other day, managed to get a touch over a kilo wet. Its dried out to 240g, so I'm pretty happy with that, much more than last year. I had a few issues with soil quality and water frequency this year, so i reckon next year will be bigger and better!
as I don't have a vac sealer, put the dried hops into a ziplock and compressed them in a bench vice to make a hop brick. kind of like a plug, but flat. The ziplocks aren't air tight, but should do for storage for a week (in the freezer), by which time they will be vacuum sealed at our HB club meeting.
attachicon.gif
2016 Chinook.jpg

Also, when picking, next to where a bunch of cones were hanging on a bine, there were some knobbly things, that looked like really small cones. Not thin delicate things like burrs, but just like tiny bobbly bits. Any idea what these are?
attachicon.gif
knobbly bits.jpg
I saw one of those today on my plant...mutation?

Climate change. (couldn't help myself).

There just duds, I think. I got them less sparetic on the ends of my small vines. Not in a bunch like that though I still call it a dud bunch. Some critter may have nipped the feed vine.
Gotta love gardening.

When winter comes, I'd like to see if anyone who has a saaz rhizome/crown would like to swap for a goldings crown or cluster or mt hood rhizome. Preferably local to Hunter Valley NSW

353g First year chinook. More than i want so that's a win. Going to do a blonde ale to 25 ibus with a single 10 minute addition and dry hop it. Should take care of half the hops.

neal32 said:
353g First year chinook. More than i want so that's a win. Going to do a blonde ale to 25 ibus with a single 10 minute addition and dry hop it. Should take care of half the hops.
I plan on doing something very similar with my Mt hood hops (but swap the dry hop for a cube hop only).

Alex.Tas said:
attachicon.gif
knobbly bits.jpg
Could it be its end of season effort to produce a final fruiting?

Latest posts

Back