2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
You could always ask if you could pop back in winter so you can dig them up while they are dormant.
Hadn't even thought about that though i would think that by the time winter comes the whole house might have been taken over by hop bines.

jburke said:
Hadn't even thought about that though i would think that by the time winter comes the whole house might have been taken over by hop bines.
How about you offer the new occupant some of your finest made from the hops they've allowed to grow during summer & shade the house (reduced cooling bills etc..etc...) & then you come back in winter & take the 'zomes out (make sure you get every last skerrick of zome, or else..........)?

Seems like the time of year to be moving house

I've got to move sooner than I'd planned but luckily I dug them out of the ground and put them into pots before the growing season

Now they are coiled up in the pots waiting to be moved

Don't think I'd trust people moving in to look after them

Don't think I'll be getting any cones off the girls this year , I have decided just to try and work on cuttings ...... First lot died haha at least I've worked out one way that doesn't work

I'd pot them up ASAP if I were you Burkey

Good luck with the move

Spohaw said:
Seems like the time of year to be moving house

I've got to move sooner than I'd planned but luckily I dug them out of the ground and put them into pots before the growing season

Now they are coiled up in the pots waiting to be moved

Don't think I'd trust people moving in to look after them

Don't think I'll be getting any cones off the girls this year , I have decided just to try and work on cuttings ...... First lot died haha at least I've worked out one way that doesn't work

I'd pot them up ASAP if I were you Burkey

Good luck with the move
Yeah i was thinking I'll do it soon. Just waiting for the weather to cool a little.

I had to beat my chinook with a stick the other day to stop it from escaping into nearby trees. ~4m

(redirected rather than 'beaten')

Out of control 6 meters high... melboure 1st year rhomes put in the ground in october

1447821801481.jpg

lynchman said:
Out of control 6 meters high... melboure 1st year rhomes put in the ground in october
They are flying for first years!

Came home today to my hersbrucker showing burs which where not showing this morning and laterals about 6 inches longer.

1447910689402.jpg

1447910706108.jpg

Massive noob question here but once they reach full height do they stop growing upwards and just start putting out laterals?

Guys,

2nd season hops now starting to go crazy however is this mildew? Anyone recommend something from bunnings/mitre10 I can buy to fix this as its starting to effect the growth of the overall plant.

I'm sure something is taking the occasional chomp out of the leaves however never seen any slugs/snails/caterpillar/mites on them.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

eresh666 said:
Guys,

2nd season hops now starting to go crazy however is this mildew? Anyone recommend something from bunnings/mitre10 I can buy to fix this as its starting to effect the growth of the overall plant.

I'm sure something is taking the occasional chomp out of the leaves however never seen any slugs/snails/caterpillar/mites on them.
Quite a few of mine are looking similar. I've seen slugs and small green catepillars around. They're getting eaten but not enough to kill the plant as the top part of the bine above 1 meter seems to be fine. You should be ok unless they're getting to the top of your hops.

On the left is my second year chinook and one the right is my second year cascade... Happy with this years growth hoping for at least a big late hop addition of both into a few hoppy ales...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448093548.260644.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448093572.775708.jpg

My Vic & Chinook have finally started die less and grow more, thinking of relocating their pots to a better location after drinking beer and watching shadow vs sunlight move around the yard all arvo.

BottloBill said:
Damn this hersbrucker is insane!
:lol: I warned you! I'll try and get a pick of the Hers remnant that has shot up in the garden.. Must really like the Newcastle climate.

Back