2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know sod all about gardening - see what i did there?

I replanted a vine cutting into one of my pots. Over the weekend i emptied the pot to see if i could make a cutting. I forgot about the vine cutting i made, and found that it had in fact started a decent root system of it's own. I replanted it in it's own pot to see how it goes.

If i took the vine cutting from a female plant, does that mean that the new plant will be female too?

I haven't tried it myself but if you bury a living bine it will turn into a rhizome and put out roots. Suppose to have a better strike rate than simple cuttings.

I buried three long bines and struck six of my Chinook. I put down a layer of seed raising mix and a layer over the top hold them down with a piece of stiff wire bent into a U shape. I recommend giving it ago

Spohaw said:
Has anyone tried cloning from the shoots you cut of when reducing them down to the three best looking bines ?
I have, with some success, until the plantlets were allowed to dry out (edit* - best to avoid that).

Spohaw said:
Has anyone tried cloning from the shoots you cut of when reducing them down to the three best looking bines ?
Yeah that was what i did. I got a strike rate of one from two.

This year I'll try the method that LiquidGold and BottleoBill suggest.

Planted some random rhizomes I got from a guy in Bridgetown (being in WA can't get **** all from interstate, damned quarantine laws) so I've got a P.O.R., Flinders and Weurtemberger. Anybody got any info on what these are like?

I'm basically trying to grow these in a view of seeing what works and what doesn't. However, IF these work out and I get some decent hops I'll brew something that would work with these hops.

Flinders is pretty much my favourite hop I have then cascade , people say it's like Columbus but I've never tried Columbus

I like flinders in ipa's as late additions ( 10-0 mins ) and just chuck in 90 odd grams .... No idea what the aa% would be but it never seems too bitter .....more a pleasant style hop IMO

I still use pellet hops for bittering additions though ( at 60 mins )

In Bavaria at the moment. Staying with a friend who's garden is overtaken by hops that have blew in from somewhere. She's treated them mean and they've got bigger. Off to the German hop museum tomorrow to investigate.

Slightly off topic. Met a brewer today who is now primarily using Vic Secret and Southern Cross ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440278912.394482.jpg

So this is a pic of my cluster, the larger unhealthy looking bine at the front was the very first bine that came up. Do you think it is unhealthy because it was early? The reason i ask is that it is the only bine of all my plants that look like this and they have all had the same treatment....

1440283857520.jpg

Looks like it's lacking something maybe give it a real weak feed of power feed ....

Anyone in WA selling or swapping any cluster rhizomes ????

Lovely hop

Wilson Brewing Company said:
I've got Cluster Dan, we can nick a couple of cuttings off it when you come round for that beer.

;?)
Woohoo cheers Matty !

I'll be around for those beers as soon your back ..... Really want cluster !

Cheers !

Matplat said:
So this is a pic of my cluster, the larger unhealthy looking bine at the front was the very first bine that came up. Do you think it is unhealthy because it was early? The reason i ask is that it is the only bine of all my plants that look like this and they have all had the same treatment....
not because it was early, but it's needs are not being met. Either drying out or nutrients.
Doesn't appear to look like overfeeding.
I'd get some liquid seaweed or worm juice and dilute it and spray the foliage (foliar feeding) as well as water it well into the soil.

If the soil is kept too wet, this may also be stunting the bines, as roots need oxygen to metabolise sugars made in the green parts above ground.
You should be able to diagnose from these points, as you will know how wet the soil is and if you've been feeding them.

Well, i put a handful of pelletised chicken manure in each pot when i planted the rhizomes 2ish months ago and havent given them anythin since then. I didnt think they would need much yet considering they aren't growing much yet. i soak them once a week but have just stepped that up to a lesser soak twice a week. I guess I'll scratch some more pellets into the surface and hope that sorts it. Thanks all!

Wilson Brewing Company said:
I've got Cluster Dan, we can nick a couple of cuttings off it when you come round for that beer.

;?)
Is this an open invite to WA Brewers? I'll happily bring some beers too! [emoji12]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440292288.405671.jpg
We have action!! My first attempt at growing. This is POR.

It's not the size that matters right? That's what the wife keeps telling me.

Is mulching a necessity? If so what do people use?

Matplat said:
Well, i put a handful of pelletised chicken manure in each pot when i planted the rhizomes 2ish months ago and havent given them anythin since then. I didnt think they would need much yet considering they aren't growing much yet. i soak them once a week but have just stepped that up to a lesser soak twice a week. I guess I'll scratch some more pellets into the surface and hope that sorts it. Thanks all!
I'd recommend some foliar feeding too. Dilute some seaweed food to 50% recommended and water the planter and plant with watering can and rose head.

Seems the nutrients in the planter were leeched out since last season. Some top dressing with well-composted manure or mushroom compost or similar, and then some mulch on top will help.
That's what I plan to do with my planter boxes (1.2m square).

Latest posts

Back