2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I use lupin mulch? It's what I've got left over from the veggie patches.

Well that escalated quickly. I decided to take some rhizome cuttings off the Goldings crown I was given by Judanero, I took 27 in total and divided them up between 9 pots and have decent action happening in all.
I also have Cascade, Chinook and POR going gangbusters.

Photo 1 & 2 are the Goldings
Photo 3 the Cascade
Photo 4 the Chinook
Photo 5 & 6 are the POR
Photo 7 is the main crown Goldings

1440294852458.jpg

1440294872183.jpg

1440295022975.jpg

1440295063107.jpg

1440295382087.jpg

1440295409086.jpg

1440295494321.jpg

This is second season Cascade. There's over 20 shoots this time and I have 3 of these.

2 of these new beds for Dr Smuto's ryzolmes. 2 each bed of Chinook and Victoria. Mulched with sugar cane mulch with wire mesh pinned down over them to stop those fecking pecking Black Birds from taring it all to shreds to get those good worms.

Victoria off to a early start. They like a little greenhouse over them until spring gets a bit warmer.

I've spent a bit of time in my garden this weekend, repotting some hops into larger planter boxes. This one is showing some nice growth (or at least nice enough for my standards). I didn't split the rhizome as it is only 1 year old and wanted to maximise its yield potential this year.
hop root ball.jpg

I've now to both a columbus (far right) and a Chinook (centre) in larger planter boxes. I haven't repotted the Cascade (Left) yet. The pot in the centre is the chinook i grew from a cutting last year. Each pot has a nice layer of sugar cane mulch, and been given a good watering with watered down worm juice.
hop pots.jpg

The Columbus has put up some visible shoots
columbus bines.jpg

As has the cascade. I should get this out of its pot soon and into a larger one.
cascade bines.jpg

Here is to hoping i can eclipse my 11g of dry yield from last year!

I realise it's pretty late in the day to be asking, but I just got some cascade in the mail yesterday, and my goodness they smell amazing!

Is there anyone out there with one available?

Cheers, Matt.

Edit: I just checked ebay.... looks like I have options :D

Diggers for the win.... easily the best price, and it comes in a pot! some peeps going crayzay on ebay!

I know it's only been less than a week, but I thought I would put up a couple of progress pics of the Cascade and goldings;)

1440743574893.jpg

1440743593927.jpg

1440743612786.jpg

1440743629797.jpg

BottloBill, where are you? That's a hell of a head start you've got there for still being in Winter.

and the Diggers Cascade I can vouch for. I bought 4 of those pots and got 1.3kg (Wet) hops in the first season. They are now big crowns ready to fire up soon.

Danscraftbeer said:
BottloBill, where are you? That's a hell of a head start you've got there for still being in Winter.

and the Diggers Cascade I can vouch for. I bought 4 of those pots and got 1.3kg (Wet) hops in the first season. They are now big crowns ready to fire up soon.

I got 1.2 kg dry off 3 first year cascade from diggers last season , they out performed all my other hops

In Newcastle Mate, the weather has been up/down and we had a 28 deg day last Saturday which in turn gave them a kick off. I have four varieties all in different stages, I wasn't expecting much from the nine pots of Goldings but the four pictured are getting the most sun.

Damb, our top temps of 12 to 15c down here these days.

Spohaw I'm embarrassed now haha, just kidding. I learnt that I planted mine in the wrong place kinda. They seemed to like to grow horizontally to the east and I had to try and persuade them to grow west against their will. Maybe had something to do with it but I was stoked as with my first home grown hops.. :beerbang:

Was giving the hop garden a bit of TLC today when I noticed this big bugger poking his head up.
20150830_100550 (1280x720).jpg20150830_100641 (1280x720).jpg
Looks like something Muad'Dib might call up from the Deep Desert.

Back