2015 Vic Christmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger. Knew I forgot something:
Thanks v much to the guys who organized all the food. And the coffee.
Very important element to the success of the day (/night). And v tasty! Combo of soup + kebab = win!

Jebus - 1 cube each. Wtf was the OG?? 1.200?!

Edit: Karl beat me to it! 1.100? Not bad for a massive brew, boys. Big ups. The HWH ... heavy wee heavy!
How did the boil off go? Awesome caramelisation or tar?

some photos from the Bummock

thanks to all who attended and of course our Hosts Martin and Tracey
well done on all fronts ...including the cold front from the prevailing north

2015-07-04 10.03.09.jpg2015-07-04 10.04.45.jpg2015-07-04 12.06.44.jpg

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA - Bottled/kegged - Delightful
2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA - Drink NOW!
3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me?
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone)
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
6. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
7. mofox1 - American brown or a RyeIPA.
8. Tahoose-confirmed
9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. 2nd ever BIAB. Fingers crossed

10. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity
12. MartinOC - Gonna have to change the planned swap beer from the Dunkeldoppelweizenbock (simply can't get it done in time) to something else I've got on-hand. Yeasts just don't fire-up on the stir-plate quickly at these temperatures. It's a long & sordid story....
13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout
14. Grainer - Californian White IPA
15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils
16. Black n Tan- 'Event Horizon' RIS (11.2% ABV, bottled 1/3/15)- the event horizon is the region from which there is no escape from a Black Hole.
17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett
18. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter - bottling 3/7/15
20. VACANT SPOT - Jump-on it!
21. Navarau Dark Porter
22. Damn - American Brown in damn PET bottles with 250g + hops
23. Bumma- MIA, probably a no show
24. poggo- MIA, probably a no show

The most valuable lesson I learnt from everyone yesterday is that you should always aerate the wort with a dirty old broom handle. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1436077722.805574.jpg

Great day. Thanks to everyone who helped out and all the taste tests of some bloody delicious beers.
Nice to meet you all. Cheers lads.

Curly79 said:
The most valuable lesson I learnt from everyone yesterday is that you should always aerate the wort with a dirty old broom handle.
Ive heard Mardoo called many things before.....but never a "dirty old broom handle"

enjoying # 2 now Nathan, I'd be happy if I was sidled up at your bar drinking this gear mate! Noice!

can't beleive the mrs actually suggested a bummock by the bay, we live about 400 mths from Lake King weirdly enough, there is a caravan park facing the water and a huge rotunda thing, feck ... maybe one year we might host a bummock, or, indeed we could never speak of it again
Btw
Love the shirt! Did we have to pay some more there? I think I only paid 20 dollar

Well...now I'm settled again into some semblance of normality....

I'd like to express a MASSIVE thanks to everyone who pulled-out the stops to make this happen. All I really did was provide the space for it (& the firewood... :D ). Ingredients, equipment, food, shelter & manpower on this scale don't just happen all in one place without a huge collective effort. THANK YOU ALL!!!! :beerbang: Apart from the crap weather (which I have absolutely NO control over!), everything went as I've been thinking it would go (Read: agonising-over for 6 months).

Whilst I planned the brew itself, it was great to have so many flexible brewers on hand to bounce alternatives-off & come-up with a work-around when things went a bit pear-shaped on Friday night......Oh! The debates!!! Also, thanks to the guys that turned-up with fresh minds & bodies on the day, threw themselves at the challenge & finally brought it all together. I'm absolutely stoked at the final outcome. How the **** we got that OG is beyond me?

Big respect to all the hardy souls who turned-out in the face of the crap weather (I remember seeing -1.4*C wind-chill on our weather-station at one point) & travelled from so far away to be here, just to stand around in the cold/rain drinking each other's beer ('Hope the fire made a dent in that for you). That takes some serious commitment to the cause. It just goes to show what a great bunch of complete nutters Homebrewers really are. The generosity shown by all (not to mention the unsolicited personal "gifts" handed to me) is heartwarming.

Here's a couple of piccies from my collection:
DSCN1266.JPG

Loki, the fearless puppy who was into everything, including the meat still on the spit whilst it was turning. Oops! You didn't know that? Thanks for keeping him entertained during the day....I think he's now missing all his new friends.

DSCN1271.JPG
We have T-Shirts to mark the event (not to mention poor light & rain on the camera lens)! **** the Banana-Benders! They don't know how to do these things properly....

My glass is raised to you all.

SLAINTE!!!!!!

Edit: The fire's STILL going......

3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me?
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
8. Tahoose-confirmed

11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity
12. MartinOC - Gonna have to change the planned swap beer from the Dunkeldoppelweizenbock (simply can't get it done in time) to something else I've got on-hand. Yeasts just don't fire-up on the stir-plate quickly at these temperatures. It's a long & sordid story....
16. Black n Tan- 'Event Horizon' RIS (11.2% ABV, bottled 1/3/15)- the event horizon is the region from which there is no escape from a Black Hole.
21. Navarau Dark Porter
22. Damn - American Brown: Labelled
#043 JBROWN 04-15 Ready.

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
8. Tahoose-confirmed

13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout Bottled 1/7/15
21. Navarau Dark Porter
#043 JBROWN 04-15 Ready.

4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
8. Tahoose-confirmed

21. Navarau Dark Porter
#043 JBROWN 04-15 Ready.

4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
8. Tahoose-confirmed

19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter - (6.5%, 50 IBU) bottled 3/7/15 - This one will need some ageing, early samples were ****ing BITTER!, so leave til late September, preferably later to give it a chance to smooth out
21. Navarau Dark Porter
#043 JBROWN 04-15 Ready.

Latest posts

Back