2015 Vic Christmas in July Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swapper

1. Idzy
2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA
3. Yob
4. Nullnvoid
5. Brewnut
6. GrumpyPaul
7. mofox1
8. Tahoose
9. Siborg
10. Midnight Brew
11. Technobabble66
12. MartinOC - Dunkeldoppelweizenbock (I've never made one, but I tempted Mardoo with the prospect, so I guess I'm committed..). However, current ambient temperatures up here are more conducive to lager fermentation & it's just gonna get colder..... :blink:
13. Whiteferret
14. Grainer - Californian White IPA
15. Droid
16. Black n Tan
17. AJ80
18. AndrewF
19. JB
20. Micbrew
21. Navarau
22. Damn
23. Symphony1975
24. poggor

Reserve Swapper
1. Husky
2. Bumma

Non-Swapper-attendees:

Brewer/Cuber
1. Idzy
2. DJ_L3tHAL
3. Yob
4. Nullnvoid
5. Brewnut
6. GrumpyPaul
7. mofox1
8. Tahoose
9. Siborg
10. Technobabble66
11. MartinOC
12. Whiteferret
13. Grainer
14. Mardoo
15. AJ80
16. AndrewF
17. JB
18. Micbrew
19. Navarau
20. Damn
21 symphony 1975
22. poggor
23. droid
24. husky

I just picked-up on what Mardoo was on-about, so I've put you in as a swapper at pos'n #15 (in place of Mardoo, who will now miss-out on my promised Dunkeldoppelweizenbock! Wuss!.. :( ).

You are now required to brew & bottle a batch (ie. 24x750ml bottles) for swapping with the others on the swapping list.

You are ALSO required to turn-up, bring/drink beer, talk shit...etc..etc....

well I've only got grolsch or pet so um and experimental/first try beers fermenting

how'm I doing so far? hehe

I can talk some shit tho

It's all good, Droid.

Whereabouts are you around Melb? I've got a shitload of 750ml glass if you want to use them?

Edit: If you're a member of one of the Melb-based clubs, I can probably arrange a delivery of a few cases to you.

Thanks Martin I am down by lake king, eagle point - East Gippsland, I coud maybe borrow some king Browns.

Erm...OK. That's a bit of a logistic problem if you're not this way a bit more/often. Let me know if you're over this way before bottling-time via PM & I'll see what I can arrange for you. Bear in mind I'm in Kinglake, but I often make trips to the 'burb's & have mates that I could probably arrange something more convenient with.

If all-else fails, whatever you've got will be fine, as long as you turn up with the goodies & be prepared for the mayhem that ensues on the day (including the weather!).

Yob said:
Fair hike.. do you get up to the city much?
hey yob, not much, tho I will be coming back from wa in a couple of weeks but it'll be a pretty direct run from the airport to home
MartinOC said:
Erm...OK. That's a bit of a logistic problem if you're not this way a bit more/often. Let me know if you're over this way before bottling-time via PM & I'll see what I can arrange for you. Bear in mind I'm in Kinglake, but I often make trips to the 'burb's & have mates that I could probably arrange something more convenient with.

If all-else fails, whatever you've got will be fine, as long as you turn up with the goodies & be prepared for the mayhem that ensues on the day (including the weather!).
thanks, I shall prepare ... if I am heading up to Melb before I will pm, cheers for the help

MartinOC said:
I may be having a seniors moment here.....der? Since when?
Since the last two swap there were bombs, in the 2014 tasting thread it was suggested by a few that going PET had two benefits, firstly safety, secondly we'd have a uniform case of bottles to reuse each swap so we're not scrounging around to get a neat case of bottles to use.

By all means I'm not dictating, just passing on the message. I do however feel the PET is a good idea. I've just made my swap wort so have about 4-6 weeks before I'll bottle so hopefully it's settled by then :)

Aha! I didn't follow the tasting thread, that's why I missed it. I just seem to remember something previously about no stubbies.

OK, good idea under the circumstances, but as you said - not dictating one way or the other.

Personally, my thoughts are we call it PET before someone actually does get hurt, we've had enough close calls, near misses I think to warrant the change. Perth, qld etc, all gone pet.

Personally, I've abandoned all my glass anyway, I still have them but don't use them any more. Going to be 'loaning' out my capper etc.

Using PET bottles, is anyone's experience favorable with filing from a carbed keg using those new version of carbonation caps? Or would you lose carb when you remove the carbonation cap and put on the PET bottle cap?

You can over charge(20 psi) in the pet, give a bit of a shake, let settle and you're good to go. Not so bad if you have a few of them, would be a pita with only 1

JB said:
Using PET bottles, is anyone's experience favorable with filing from a carbed keg using those new version of carbonation caps? Or would you lose carb when you remove the carbonation cap and put on the PET bottle cap?
I find with those that you are better to overcarb in the keg and then not bother giving it any extra co2 once you have transferred. When I have give a little extra it foams when you take the lid off. Which defeats the purpose.

Probably better just bottle conditioning.

I'll vote for PET....

However I used to do all my swaps in PET but felt like I wasn't one of the cool kids - so moved to glass for the last swap.

How am I supposed to be a cool on trend* brewer if you guys keep changing things on me.

*disclaimer: The phrase "on trend" was something I learned from listening to designer wankers on "The Block" - any obnoxious usage of wankery hipster phrases is purely intentional and done with the intent of growing a carefully manicured beard whilst wearing skinny leg jeans.

Latest posts

Back