2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pilchard said:
Anyone found a way to keep the possums off the bines? We have a lot of possums here.
Spray this in their eyes.

595344-350x350.jpg

4 x Bernese mountain dogs must keep you busy with the pooper scooper.

The first shoots of a first year Victoria c/o Dr Smurto
WP_20140802_002a.jpg

She'll have a good few meters to climb once I string a wire up to the carport roof.
WP_20140802_001a.jpg

Cascade and Goldings to go in pots tomorrow

Can't complain. SWMBO planted the Vic when 6 months pregnant and I was away for 2 weeks

Shoots are amazingly appearing in Queanbeyan despite the fricking freezing weather (-6 this morning).

IMAG0289.jpg

Ed: speeling

First time growing, had to cat proof and add some more sugar cane as I have just scattered what little amount that came with them:)

1407034659373.jpg

Just spotted a few shoots coming up, so I guess I'd best start planning a new trellis system for this year, the bamboo teepee last year was a bit of a fail

Hey, yeah, what trellising options have people tried that haven't worked? Maybe we can avoid a few pitfalls.

Nothing about trellising, but growing them up a young, 4-meter eucalypt works great. The laterals wrap around through the branches so you get a 360 degree harvest. There are, of course, any associated problems with harvesting in a tree.

sp0rk said:
Just spotted a few shoots coming up, so I guess I'd best start planning a new trellis system for this year, the bamboo teepee last year was a bit of a fail
And thanks Sp0rk. I had been considering that one. What were the problems with it?

Mardoo said:
So is rocketry your other hobby?
I wish. More like the eternal struggle to entertain little ones ....

Cascade (foreground) and Goldings now potted too. Plan is to run some wire mesh up to the pool fence, and maybe higher.
Not like anything else was going to grow in this corner of the garden jumble of standstone and grass we call a yard.

WP_20140803_001a.jpg

sp0rk said:
+1 What was the issue with the bamboo teepee? I have been growing mine on bamboo and had a few poles snap, so I would recommend growing them on fresh bamboo poles as apposed to the old dry ones which are inclined to snap.

CapnK said:
I wish. More like the eternal struggle to entertain little ones ....

Cascade (foreground) and Goldings now potted too. Plan is to run some wire mesh up to the pool fence, and maybe higher.
Not like anything else was going to grow in this corner of the garden jumble of standstone and grass we call a yard.

attachicon.gif
WP_20140803_001a.jpg
Impressive.....so did the pregnant swmbo plant those ones too?

Mardoo said:
Hey, yeah, what trellising options have people tried that haven't worked? Maybe we can avoid a few pitfalls.

I built this for my hop garden. It has worked well for the last coupe of years. Hoping for a good crop this year as the hops are going into their third season.

Hop Trellis.jpg

Topher said:
Impressive.....so did the pregnant swmbo plant those ones too?
That would be pushing my luck a little.
These poor chaps were planted by me, so I fear for them.

my first attempt. got some rhizomes from a generous friend on the forum. Cluster and Victoria. put them into 52 litre pots with fully enriched potting mix.

need to build a trellis like thing now.. will post photos as soon as i figure out how

brewologist said:
I built this for my hop garden. It has worked well for the last coupe of years. Hoping for a good crop this year as the hops are going into their third season.

attachicon.gif
Hop Trellis.jpg
Nice one, about 5 meters high? How much dry flower did you get last season?

My bamboo problems were the bamboo was too thin, so it was a bit wobbly in the wind
The bamboo went rotten pretty quickly too, so if I had of had a decent harvest last year it probably would have snapped the teepee
I think with bines growing together at the top, this might not give decent sun exposure, they're probably best off fanning out away from each other

I'll probably use bamboo again this year (I have a good supply of it), I'll just look at possibly making a big cage or something out of it
I'll report back with designs once I come up with a few

Mardoo said:

Nothing about trellising, but growing them up a young, 4-meter eucalypt works great. The laterals wrap around through the branches so you get a 360 degree harvest. There are, of course, any associated problems with harvesting in a tree.
This is from last year. I've modified the design a little with three runners from each pot for a total of nine 5m long runners looped through stainless self tapper eye bolts. I can get full access off the ladder.
If you use twine, go heavier than you think. I used gutless natural garden twine the first time and wound up in a panic after the lot ended up on the lawn after a wind storm.
Full synthetic UV stabilized braided all the way now baby.

DSC_5161_zps42ea766d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back