2014 WA Winter Case Swap -- ** Tasting **

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That jyo stout in the pic looks good, load more head that I was able to pour. Might of just been my bottle with low carbing.
I would been keen to try another one.

Dave's not here, man.

Might put that the jyo stout in the fridge for tonight. Need something else to go with it.

Yeah, I carbed it with half the priming sugar.

Cheers for the reviews, blokes.

Dent- if it makes it to the nationals (which is highly unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to dream) then I know where to come looking for a spare bottle ;)

1. dent - Baltic Porter (10%) - CPBF + ready to drink, but feel free to see if it changes over time in the fridge if you've already sucked on the tap
jyo
Deep, rich chocolate, with a coffee flavour that could become a little cloying… but then the alcohol cuts through to thin things out and balance it all, and stops this from being overly sweet. Clean yeast flavours. This is one of the biggest beers I have had, and I really enjoyed nursing the pint and a half over an hour or so.
2. jyo- Oatmeal Stout- Bottle Conditioned for just over a month.
  • Neander - Pours easy with a nice head, off cream colour but dissipates quickly, a tad lightly carbonated. Nice roasty flavours with a touch of chocolate coming through, I like this with a bit more carb (Is it just or is there a shitty batch of caps lately as I have had a few beers go flat on me) and it would be very good. Very close to my own Oatmeal stout.
3. Milk Lizard 84-Golden Ale ready to drink
  • NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.
  • jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.
4. Nev**** Fat Albert Belgian Amber 8% - bottle conditioning
5. keifer33 – Dry Stout - Bottle Conditioned and ready
6. Mitch_76 - ?Dubbel Choc 8.7%
7. twocansam - American Wheat Bottle conditioned, ready to drink now
  • keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
  • Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It doesnt have a sour aftertasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for another america Wheat. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?
  • Ned - I liked this, ideal summer beer
  • jyo [SIZE=11pt]light, easy drinking. I get a bit of honey dew melon and mandarine in flavour and aroma. This would get thrashed around here in warmer weather. Really nice, cheers.[/SIZE]
8. Recharge - London brown ale
  • jyo- I get some dark brown sugar and treacle flavours and aromas in this. I get the “milk bottle lollies” character that dent is on about, but it’s not a bad thing. Maybe almost a slight vanilla flavour? Finishes crisp. Pretty easy to drink for what I thought was going to be a meal of a beer. Nice work. Cheers.
  • danestead- i didnt really know what to expect from a london brown ale as the few browns ive had have been heavily american hopped. it was nice to drink. i got a lot of earthy/peaty flavours from it and balanced. cheers.
9. Rad - Amber ale - Ready to drink
  • StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
  • Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
  • jyo- shared this with a mate and we both enjoyed it. Decent malt with low hop character but it was well balanced. A nice beer, cheers.
  • danestead - mine poured clear also with head which somewhat lingered. as jyo commented, i experienced a low hop character however was enjoyable to drink. cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
  • Dent - Yeah this one seems infected, sorry.
  • Ned - As above reviews I'm afraid
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt] Deep rich colour and head retention is great. This finishes really dry with a mouth puckering astringency and, unfortunately, I think there is an infection here. I think this would have had a good flavour, but the body and hop character has been chewed up due to the bugs.[/SIZE]
11. StalkingWilbur - Robust Porter - give it some time. Three weeks in bottle, but was left outside in the cold so was still undercarbed when I tried one before the swap.
  • Ned- Lovely dark colour and malty aroma, small, brownish head which dissipated quickly (possibly because I drank it before it was ready). Malt driven flavour, but a little hit of bitterness in there too. I liked it, I couldn't drink a lot of it in a sitting, but its not designed for that. Cheers
12. danestead - american IPA hop hog clone - CPBF ready to drink
  • NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
  • StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
  • lanerigg - a bloody good clone! really enjoyed it. Will be making it soon
  • keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
  • recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
  • jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
  • danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
  • Neander - Loved this beer. Didnt take notes at the time but I was impressed with the likeness of the clone. Would be happy to sit back and drain a keg.
13. wilkens - choc/vanilla porter
  • danestead - Unfortunately mine was near on flat. Hopefully mine was a 1 off. The chocolate was prominent thought, which I quite liked.
  • Dent - these need more time to condition IMO - if you have bottles in the fridge, put them on the shelf!
  • Ned - mine was not very carbonated, with little head, but the chocolate flavour was great, and just when I was expecting some roasted grain flavour, some smooth vanilla kicked in, nice!!
  • Neander - I drank this last week at a tasting. We all enjoyed the chocolate flavours but didnt really get any vanialla. Should of held out a bit longer.
14. Ned - Rye APA. bottle conditioned, ready to drink because I thought the swap was on in June for some reason
  • Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
  • danestead - this was quite interesting because my first rye beer to brew is on tap atm (dr smurtos golden ale rye version). i'm still to get my head fully around what rye is meant to taste like however there were some interesting things going on in this beer but im not sure if it's the rye or not. the initial aftertaste is immediately sweet, a medicinal type flavour which wraps around the sides of my tongue and then disappears straight away to a dryness or minerally taste, i think. Please dont take this harshly because my biggest weakness is explaining what i can taste but this is either the rye or possibly what dent was saying as a mild infection? On the positive, it poured with a beautiful lasting head and superbly clear. cheers
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt]Balanced hopping rates. Carbonation pretty high and it climbed out the bottle. Could maybe do with a bit more body for me, as things seemed to be a bit thinned out in the middle. This may be the mineral taste danestead refers to. Maybe a higher mash temp or a little more crystal, but I enjoyed it. Cheers.[/SIZE]
17. Neanderthal Black IPA - Bottle Conditioned - ready to drink.
  • Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
  • danestead - Quite enjoyable. I like the use of hops. Crisp finish which is great compared to my Black IPA I brewed which finished up at about 1.020 and 7.5%. Cheers for an enjoyable drink (and about 100mL is being used on IPA swap can chicken tonight!)
  • Ned - loved it, first glass was too cold, only got the hop flavour (which was great though), once it warmed up the malts really came through
  • jyo- This is a really nice beer. Great aroma and some citrus and sherbet lollies in the finish. I’d like to see a recipe for this one. Wondering about the yeast?- it gives some low esters but stirred up easily. Thoroughly enjoyed this after a rough Friday at work.
18. Rickcobba - American IPA - needs more conditioning time, bottled 2014-07-10
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....
  • Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !
  • danestead - gusher also. It tasted quite alcoholic to me so maybe it would mellow over time into a nice beer.
Jonos BarleyWine.
  • Neanderthal - Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

Velu, what are you using as your name on the reviews? Im just trying to suss out why I cant find your comments.

haha my name is Ned, and due to being new to this internet thing i'm finding it weird to use Velu! Sorry for the confusion

Velu said:
haha my name is Ned, and due to being new to this internet thing i'm finding it weird to use Velu! Sorry for the confusion
Haha cool thanks Ned. I just wanted to figure out your name because when a new reply is posted its hard to figure out which the new reviews actually are!

1. dent - Baltic Porter (10%) - CPBF + ready to drink, but feel free to see if it changes over time in the fridge if you've already sucked on the tap
  • jyo -Deep, rich chocolate, with a coffee flavour that could become a little cloying… but then the alcohol cuts through to thin things out and balance it all, and stops this from being overly sweet. Clean yeast flavours. This is one of the biggest beers I have had, and I really enjoyed nursing the pint and a half over an hour or so.
  • Neander - Pours easy with a nice head, off cream colour but dissipates quickly, a tad lightly carbonated. Nice roasty flavours with a touch of chocolate coming through, I like this with a bit more carb (Is it just or is there a shitty batch of caps lately as I have had a few beers go flat on me) and it would be very good. Very close to my own Oatmeal stout.
  • NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.
  • jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.
  • Neander - This one was infected, very strong medicinal floavours.
  • keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
  • Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It does have a sour after tasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for an America Wheat recipe. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?
  • jyo [SIZE=11pt]light, easy drinking. I get a bit of honey dew melon and mandarine in flavour and aroma. This would get thrashed around here in warmer weather. Really nice, cheers.[/SIZE]
  • jyo- I get some dark brown sugar and treacle flavours and aromas in this. I get the “milk bottle lollies” character that dent is on about, but it’s not a bad thing. Maybe almost a slight vanilla flavour? Finishes crisp. Pretty easy to drink for what I thought was going to be a meal of a beer. Nice work. Cheers.
  • danestead- i didnt really know what to expect from a london brown ale as the few browns ive had have been heavily american hopped. it was nice to drink. i got a lot of earthy/peaty flavours from it and balanced. cheers.
  • StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
  • Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
  • jyo- shared this with a mate and we both enjoyed it. Decent malt with low hop character but it was well balanced. A nice beer, cheers.
  • danestead - mine poured clear also with head which somewhat lingered. as jyo commented, i experienced a low hop character however was enjoyable to drink. cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt] Deep rich colour and head retention is great. This finishes really dry with a mouth puckering astringency and, unfortunately, I think there is an infection here. I think this would have had a good flavour, but the body and hop character has been chewed up due to the bugs.[/SIZE]
  • Neander - Yes, as above.
11. StalkingWilbur - Robust Porter - give it some time. Three weeks in bottle, but was left outside in the cold so was still undercarbed when I tried one before the swap.
  • Ned- Lovely dark colour and malty aroma, small, brownish head which dissipated quickly (possibly because I drank it before it was ready). Malt driven flavour, but a little hit of bitterness in there too. I liked it, I couldn't drink a lot of it in a sitting, but its not designed for that. Cheers
  • NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
  • StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
  • keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
  • recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
  • jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
  • danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
  • Neander - Loved this beer. Didnt take notes at the time but I was impressed with the likeness of the clone. Would be happy to sit back and drain a keg.
  • danestead - Unfortunately mine was near on flat. Hopefully mine was a 1 off. The chocolate was prominent thought, which I quite liked.
  • Dent - these need more time to condition IMO - if you have bottles in the fridge, put them on the shelf!
  • Ned - mine was not very carbonated, with little head, but the chocolate flavour was great, and just when I was expecting some roasted grain flavour, some smooth vanilla kicked in, nice!!
  • Neander - I drank this last week at a tasting. We all enjoyed the chocolate flavours but didnt really get any vanialla. Should of held out a bit longer.
14. Ned - Rye APA. bottle conditioned, ready to drink because I thought the swap was on in June for some reason
  • Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
  • danestead - this was quite interesting because my first rye beer to brew is on tap atm (dr smurtos golden ale rye version). i'm still to get my head fully around what rye is meant to taste like however there were some interesting things going on in this beer but im not sure if it's the rye or not. the initial aftertaste is immediately sweet, a medicinal type flavour which wraps around the sides of my tongue and then disappears straight away to a dryness or minerally taste, i think. Please dont take this harshly because my biggest weakness is explaining what i can taste but this is either the rye or possibly what dent was saying as a mild infection? On the positive, it poured with a beautiful lasting head and superbly clear. cheers
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt]Balanced hopping rates. Carbonation pretty high and it climbed out the bottle. Could maybe do with a bit more body for me, as things seemed to be a bit thinned out in the middle. This may be the mineral taste danestead refers to. Maybe a higher mash temp or a little more crystal, but I enjoyed it. Cheers.[/SIZE]
  • Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
  • danestead - Quite enjoyable. I like the use of hops. Crisp finish which is great compared to my Black IPA I brewed which finished up at about 1.020 and 7.5%. Cheers for an enjoyable drink (and about 100mL is being used on IPA swap can chicken tonight!)
  • Ned - loved it, first glass was too cold, only got the hop flavour (which was great though), once it warmed up the malts really came through
  • jyo- This is a really nice beer. Great aroma and some citrus and sherbet lollies in the finish. I’d like to see a recipe for this one. Wondering about the yeast?- it gives some low esters but stirred up easily. Thoroughly enjoyed this after a rough Friday at work.
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....
  • Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !
  • danestead - gusher also. It tasted quite alcoholic to me so maybe it would mellow over time into a nice beer.
Jonos BarleyWine.
  • Neanderthal - Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

Had a bottle of the Neanderthal Oatmeal Stout this arvo. It was a bit too dry and bitter (bittering was a bit harsh too) for my tastes, but otherwise a great dark malt character and clean ferment.

Jyo - Oatmeal Stout

Gotta say, straight up, I ******* loved the label. The name and the kid on the front are perfect (please tell me it's you!!) hahahah.

Aroma reminds me of Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. Also getting something akin to the chocolate covered nuts you get at Christmas. I was able to work a nice sized, light chocolate colored head out of it, but it dissipated fairly quickly.

Taste is super smooth. This would be a great summer time stout. The body makes it very easy to drink as does the carb, but I agree with Neanderthal that a little extra carb might lift the beer.

Definitely enjoying. Glad I didn't need a bucket for it, although I did have it ready.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407677832.062296.jpg

Ned - Rye APA

Damn. This thing smelled amazing out of the bottle. Then it started to gush, but a quick pour saw nothing go to waste. Didn't pick up much rye in the aroma, but what was there smelled amazing.

I apologise if you're against smoking, but I paired this with a fairly spicy smelling cigar thinking they would work together.

Loving this thing from the first sip. Surprisingly feeling like the rye might be overdone, completely against my suspicions from the aroma. Has a great APA taste to it.

I do have to say once I sparked up the cigar this thing transformed. The spicy and pepper notes of the beer played with the cigar so perfectly and the hops left my pallet refreshed and clean with the fruity flavor.

Very much enjoyed this and there's now a place in my keezer for a full time rye beer with the expected arrival of my humidor from the states. Cheers, mate!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407681529.674742.jpg

Wilbs- The kid on the label is actually from the ad below from the 80's. I thought it might go over the heads of the super youngin brewers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTcA-e6bqVY

dent said:
Had a bottle of the Neanderthal Oatmeal Stout this arvo. It was a bit too dry and bitter (bittering was a bit harsh too) for my tastes, but otherwise a great dark malt character and clean ferment.

Yeah its a bit drier than the last batch. I had a 6l keg of it and you could deffinately notice the dryness after 2 schooners.

What would effect the bitterness. I used the same hops as last batch was a ripper. This one came out no where as smooth.

LOL JYO.
Cracker ad that, shame it wasnt you in the ad.

• jyo -Deep, rich chocolate, with a coffee flavour that could become a little cloying… but then the alcohol cuts through to thin things out and balance it all, and stops this from being overly sweet. Clean yeast flavours. This is one of the biggest beers I have had, and I really enjoyed nursing the pint and a half over an hour or so.
  • Neander - This one was infected, very strong medicinal floavours.
  • Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It does have a sour after tasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for an America Wheat recipe. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?
  • [SIZE=11pt]danestead - ive never had an american wheat and im not the greatest fan of wheat beers in general however i found this one well made. subtle wheat character, nice low-medium balance of hops, well balanced bitterness. great quaffer. cheers.[/SIZE]
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • Neander - Yes, as above.
  • danestead - same
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

Twocansam's American Wheat

First time I've had an American Wheat and I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Poured much clearer than I was expecting. Was a little surprised I had to force a decent head out of it and then it didn't hang around too long. How much wheat is in this?

Aroma had a beautiful clean hop aroma. Smells more like an American pale ale than a wheat beer. Not that I'm complaining!

There's a nice sweetness that's backing up the hops and a body that matches the beer. I'd love to have a keg of this on during summer. I think I can detect the wheat in the taste, but I wouldn't have picked this as being a wheat beer.

Really enjoyed it. Cheers, mate!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407763722.080450.jpg

Hahah. I remember that add and I have quoted it fondly for years. I haven't seen it forever though and completely forgot what he looked like.

Jono's Barley Wine

Was conflicted as to whether I should open this at 12:30am when I want to get a lot done tomorrow. I might pay for this tomorrow.

Aroma is delicious. Big, malty, caramel, some fruity notes backing it up. Caught me off guard to how good it smelt.

Poured pretty thick with a pretty big head. Wouldn't say it's so carbed you have to let it sit, just be careful with the pour. Head has an almost cream pinkish tinge to it. Beer is a very impressive blood amber color which is only magnified when held up to the light.

The taste is very good. Surprising how much fruitiness is cutting through what is a massive beer. It's all about the malt and caramel flavor though. It coats the tongue like a layer of cream. There is a touch of higher weight alcohols and while they're not hot and unpleasant, I do feel they detract from what is otherwise a wonderful beer.

Very much enjoying it now. Not so sure about tomorrow. Cheers, mate!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407775449.444835.jpg

Latest posts

Back