2014 WA Winter Case Swap -- ** Tasting **

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Combined for everyones reading pleasure.
1. dent - Baltic Porter (10%) - CPBF + ready to drink, but feel free to see if it changes over time in the fridge if you've already sucked on the tap
2. jyo- Oatmeal Stout- Bottle Conditioned for just over a month. Give it another couple of weeks if you want.
3. Milk Lizard 84-Golden Ale ready to drink

NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.

4. Nev**** Fat Albert Belgian Amber 8% - bottle conditioning
5. keifer33 – Dry Stout - Bottle Conditioned and ready
6. Mitch_76 - ?Dubbel Choc 8.7%
7. twocansam - American Wheat Bottle conditioned, ready to drink now
keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It doesnt have a sour aftertasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for another america Wheat. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?
8. Recharge - London brown ale
9. Rad - Amber ale - Ready to drink
StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
10. lanerigg - IPA
keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
11. StalkingWilbur - Robust Porter - give it some time. Three weeks in bottle, but was left outside in the cold so was still undercarbed when I tried one before the swap.
12. danestead - american IPA hop hog clone - CPBF ready to drink

NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers

StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
lanerigg - a bloody good clone! really enjoyed it. Will be making it soon
keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.

jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
13. wilkens - choc/vanilla porter
14. Ned - Rye APA. bottle conditioned, ready to drink because I thought the swap was on in June for some reason
Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
17. Neanderthal Black IPA - Bottle Conditioned - ready to drink.
Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
18. Rickcobba - American IPA - needs more conditioning time, bottled 2014-07-10
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....

Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !

Neanderthal - Jonos BarleyWine. Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it.

Combined for everyones reading pleasure. And bold added to save my eyes.
1. dent - Baltic Porter (10%) - CPBF + ready to drink, but feel free to see if it changes over time in the fridge if you've already sucked on the tap
2. jyo- Oatmeal Stout- Bottle Conditioned for just over a month. Go on, get stuck in.
  • NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.
  • keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
  • Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It doesnt have a sour aftertasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for another america Wheat. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?

• StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
  • Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
  • jyo- shared this with a mate and we both enjoyed it. Decent malt with low hop character but it was well balanced. A nice beer, cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
11. StalkingWilbur - Robust Porter - give it some time. Three weeks in bottle, but was left outside in the cold so was still undercarbed when I tried one before the swap.
  • NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
  • StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
  • lanerigg - a bloody good clone! really enjoyed it. Will be making it soon
  • keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
  • recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
  • jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
  • danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
14. Ned - Rye APA. bottle conditioned, ready to drink because I thought the swap was on in June for some reason
  • Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
  • Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....
  • Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !
  • Neanderthal - Jonos BarleyWine. Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it.

2. jyo- Oatmeal Stout- Bottle Conditioned for just over a month. Go on, get stuck in.
  • NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.
  • [SIZE=11pt]jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon. [/SIZE]
  • keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
  • Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It doesnt have a sour aftertasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for another america Wheat. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?

• jyo- I get some dark brown sugar and treacle flavours and aromas in this. I get the “milk bottle lollies” character that dent is on about, but it’s not a bad thing. Maybe almost a slight vanilla flavour? Finishes crisp. Pretty easy to drink for what I thought was going to be a meal of a beer. Nice work. Cheers.
  • StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
  • Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
  • jyo- shared this with a mate and we both enjoyed it. Decent malt with low hop character but it was well balanced. A nice beer, cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
  • NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
  • StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
  • keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
  • recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
  • jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
  • Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
  • danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
  • Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
  • Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....
  • Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !
  • Neanderthal - Jonos BarleyWine. Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

• [SIZE=11pt]jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.[/SIZE]

• jyo- I get some dark brown sugar and treacle flavours and aromas in this. I get the “milk bottle lollies” character that dent is on about, but it’s not a bad thing. Maybe almost a slight vanilla flavour? Finishes crisp. Pretty easy to drink for what I thought was going to be a meal of a beer. Nice work. Cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • danestead - Unfortunately mine was near on flat. Hopefully mine was a 1 off. The chocolate was prominent thought, which I quite liked.
  • danestead - Quite enjoyable. I like the use of hops. Crisp finish which is great compared to my Black IPA I brewed which finished up at about 1.020 and 7.5%. Cheers for an enjoyable drink (and about 100mL is being used on IPA swap can chicken tonight!)
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • danestead - gusher also. It tasted quite alcoholic to me so maybe it would mellow over time into a nice beer.
Jonos BarleyWine.
  • Neanderthal - Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

• [SIZE=11pt]jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.[/SIZE]

• danestead- i didnt really know what to expect from a london brown ale as the few browns ive had have been heavily american hopped. it was nice to drink. i got a lot of earthy/peaty flavours from it and balanced. cheers.
  • danestead - mine poured clear also with head which somewhat lingered. as jyo commented, i experienced a low hop character however was enjoyable to drink. cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • danestead - Unfortunately mine was near on flat. Hopefully mine was a 1 off. The chocolate was prominent thought, which I quite liked.
  • danestead - this was quite interesting because my first rye beer to brew is on tap atm (dr smurtos golden ale rye version). i'm still to get my head fully around what rye is meant to taste like however there were some interesting things going on in this beer but im not sure if it's the rye or not. the initial aftertaste is immediately sweet, a medicinal type flavour which wraps around the sides of my tongue and then disappears straight away to a dryness or minerally taste, i think. Please dont take this harshly because my biggest weakness is explaining what i can taste but this is either the rye or possibly what dent was saying as a mild infection? On the positive, it poured with a beautiful lasting head and superbly clear. cheers
  • danestead - Quite enjoyable. I like the use of hops. Crisp finish which is great compared to my Black IPA I brewed which finished up at about 1.020 and 7.5%. Cheers for an enjoyable drink (and about 100mL is being used on IPA swap can chicken tonight!)
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
  • danestead - gusher also. It tasted quite alcoholic to me so maybe it would mellow over time into a nice beer.
Jonos BarleyWine.
  • Neanderthal - Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407326009.559694.jpg

Not an official tasting note because its from the keg, but it's rickcobba's IPA.

This is insanely easily to drink. I practically inhaled it. Unfortunately (like we suspected) even though the IBU's/abv were in range for an IPA and out of range for a pale ale, it definitely tastes more like a pale ale. Turned out very good for a mistake brew, hence the "it ain't brown ale" name. Enjoy it for what it is and don't judge it as an IPA and it should be very enjoyable.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407328238.408763.jpg

Neanderthal - Muddy Water

Damn... Damn... Damn! This is a beautiful beer. The cascade and Amarillo present strongly in the aroma. They don't leap out of the bottle, but if you go searching for them they smack you right in the face in the most pleasant way possible.

Pours with a delicious thick, foamy head that hangs around even half way through the glass. Great lacing.

Mouthfeel is perfect for a black IPA. Just the tiniest hint of something to chew on, but then it finishes clean, crisp and dry begging you to take another sip. Taste is bang on. Hops are working perfectly together.

I really need to try the imperial version, mate!

Dent - Baltic Porter

I haven't had a commercial example of the style to compare this against, but I like it.

Wondering if its a little low on carb. The sound when I cracked the little was a little soft and took some coaxing to get a decent head.

Aroma is super clean. Smells like a lager with a touch of cola.

Taste is delicious! Pretty similar to my (albeit hazy) memory of the same beer on tap. Has a slightly roasty taste with sweet chocolate and a touch of caramel and licorice backing it up.

I remarked on a hint of a Vegemite smell to the kegged version on the day much to dent's displeasure, however, I loved it and think I might actually prefer it.

Both beers are fantastic. When I finally decide to jump into the deep end and brew a lager, there might have to be a Baltic porter to fill the second spot in the ferment fridge. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407409875.761685.jpg

You probably got a bottle from the smaller keg that didn't have gas on it for months. I considered gassing it more but that style I don't think needs a lot of gas, and it was the lazier option.

Thanks for the quality review. If I was brewing it again I'd go for a lower gravity (1.100 was taking the piss really).

No worries. I'm all for the lazy option haha, I think if would've benefitted from a touch more carb though.

Milk Lizard - Golden Ale

Have to agree with what's already been said. This is definitely a session ale. Drink - a - ble!

Aroma is really good. Apricot, peach, pear and apple. Presents awesomely out of the glass.

Head dissipated quickly but the carb and mouthfeel are unquestionable. Was worried this might've been a beer all about the hops, but I was wrong. The malt is working perfectly with the hops to form something that's very drinkable but also packing a great deal of flavor.

Has a bit of haze but light shines through very easily.

Great beer. Really enjoying it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407420046.810787.jpg

• jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.
  • danestead- i didnt really know what to expect from a london brown ale as the few browns ive had have been heavily american hopped. it was nice to drink. i got a lot of earthy/peaty flavours from it and balanced. cheers.
  • danestead - mine poured clear also with head which somewhat lingered. as jyo commented, i experienced a low hop character however was enjoyable to drink. cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • Dent - Yeah this one seems infected, sorry.
  • Dent - these need more time to condition IMO - if you have bottles in the fridge, put them on the shelf!
  • danestead - this was quite interesting because my first rye beer to brew is on tap atm (dr smurtos golden ale rye version). i'm still to get my head fully around what rye is meant to taste like however there were some interesting things going on in this beer but im not sure if it's the rye or not. the initial aftertaste is immediately sweet, a medicinal type flavour which wraps around the sides of my tongue and then disappears straight away to a dryness or minerally taste, i think. Please dont take this harshly because my biggest weakness is explaining what i can taste but this is either the rye or possibly what dent was saying as a mild infection? On the positive, it poured with a beautiful lasting head and superbly clear. cheers
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

RAD - Amber Ale

8HD_3171.JPG

Pours reasonably clear (probably is the brightest beer of the swap), with generous carbonation. Has a character that I'm not real familiar with on the nose, but pleasant enough. Apart from that a pretty neutral malt-hop balance. Pretty easy drinking quaffing beer I reckon. Thanks.

NEV- poured with great head, nice carbonation, hop aroma was there for sure but a good balance. My idea of a session ale.
jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.
Ned - I liked this, ideal summer beer
keifer33 - Good beer but could do with a little more hop character for me personally. A dry hopped version would be tops.
Neanderthal. Good Beer. Very surprised as I dont really rate wheat beer. I guess its the totally unlike wheat characteristics. Nicely carbed slight bittereness with a fruity tang to it. It doesnt have a sour aftertasty but that doesnt put me off having another mouthfull. I would have no problems drinking more of this. Might even look for another america Wheat. Whats the ratio wheat to barley?
jyo- I get some dark brown sugar and treacle flavours and aromas in this. I get the “milk bottle lollies” character that dent is on about, but it’s not a bad thing. Maybe almost a slight vanilla flavour? Finishes crisp. Pretty easy to drink for what I thought was going to be a meal of a beer. Nice work. Cheers.
danestead- i didnt really know what to expect from a london brown ale as the few browns ive had have been heavily american hopped. it was nice to drink. i got a lot of earthy/peaty flavours from it and balanced. cheers.
StalkingWilbur - I did enjoy this, but I found it had a little bit of a cloying sweetness. When I had sips i enjoyed it. When I took a bigger mouthful is when I found it too sweet. Aroma was good and reminded me of endeavour amber ale, although I haven't had one of those for quite a while so could be way off.
Recharge- Poured perfectly clear and looked great in the glass. Enjoyable beer. Thanks
Ned- I enjoyed this, I don't drink a lot of amber ales, so the sweetness was different for me, I think I will try more amber ales after drinking this beer
jyo- shared this with a mate and we both enjoyed it. Decent malt with low hop character but it was well balanced. A nice beer, cheers.
danestead - mine poured clear also with head which somewhat lingered. as jyo commented, i experienced a low hop character however was enjoyable to drink. cheers.
10. lanerigg - IPA
keifer33 - Sorry mate my bottle was rock solid and a gusher. Waited for it to settle but wasnt drinkable. Very Phenolic and Solventy unfortunately.
Dent - Yeah this one seems infected, sorry.
Ned - As above reviews I'm afraid
NEV- First off I got the mineral bite but after the first glass it mellowed, its a good beer, nice and mellow and not too hoppy for me. Cheers
StalkingWilbur - Damn. I really enjoyed this. If I had known what I was in for I would've made sure I had a hop hog on hand so I could do a side by side. The aroma jumped out of the bottle andreminded me of hop hog. I think the taste was pretty close too and packed a nice hop flavor and punch. Will be looking to brew this at some point.
lanerigg - a bloody good clone! really enjoyed it. Will be making it soon
keifer33 - Great beer mate. Maybe a little drier and slightly more hop aroma and it will be an even better beer.
recharge - hop hog clone. I had a feral hop hog in tap at the kalamunda hotel on Wednesday for lunch, was disappointing. Not so with your beer, it was very enjoyable good balance of malt and hops I was looking for more. Thanks.
jyo- yup- this is tops. I shared this with a mate who is a Hop Hog freak and we were both impressed. If you truly want a clone, then I agree with Keiffer with there maybe being too much body, but flavour and aroma were pretty damn close. A great beer.
Ned- I enjoyed this, well balanced, not quite as aggressive as the real deal, but pretty bloody good
danestead- cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciated. I also agree that the body needs some thinning and a dryer finish and the aroma needs a boost which it what I've adjusted for my planned version 3.
danestead - Unfortunately mine was near on flat. Hopefully mine was a 1 off. The chocolate was prominent thought, which I quite liked.
Dent - these need more time to condition IMO - if you have bottles in the fridge, put them on the shelf!
Ned - mine was not very carbonated, with little head, but the chocolate flavour was great, and just when I was expecting some roasted grain flavour, some smooth vanilla kicked in, nice!!
Nev- a good balance of hops and malt, easy drinking, didn't realise it was bottle conditioned so last glass was thick but overall a great beer.
danestead - this was quite interesting because my first rye beer to brew is on tap atm (dr smurtos golden ale rye version). i'm still to get my head fully around what rye is meant to taste like however there were some interesting things going on in this beer but im not sure if it's the rye or not. the initial aftertaste is immediately sweet, a medicinal type flavour which wraps around the sides of my tongue and then disappears straight away to a dryness or minerally taste, i think. Please dont take this harshly because my biggest weakness is explaining what i can taste but this is either the rye or possibly what dent was saying as a mild infection? On the positive, it poured with a beautiful lasting head and superbly clear. cheers
Milk-lizard84- Really enjoyed this. Poured a treat and had a nice aroma and mouthfeel. Only just starting to appreciate darker beers so this hit the spot for me.
danestead - Quite enjoyable. I like the use of hops. Crisp finish which is great compared to my Black IPA I brewed which finished up at about 1.020 and 7.5%. Cheers for an enjoyable drink (and about 100mL is being used on IPA swap can chicken tonight!)
Ned - loved it, first glass was too cold, only got the hop flavour (which was great though), once it warmed up the malts really came through
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
jyo- Mine gushed out of the bottle and carbonation was dangerously high for a glass bottle- maybe get these in the fridge ASAP. Once settled down it had a deep rich, roasty stout flavour and was pretty good. I can feel the 6.5%....
Nev- Ended up with 1/4 of a bottle after the gush stopped. Nice beer but potentially a bottle bomb !
danestead - gusher also. It tasted quite alcoholic to me so maybe it would mellow over time into a nice beer.
Jonos BarleyWine.
Neanderthal - Well after the warning I opened mine in the sink and nothing happened. Argh, a Barleywine. I then got caught on the phone for 15 mins which allowed it to warm up and settle down. Loads of caramel flavour and only a little fusel type taste from the 10.2%. Sweet but not cloyingly and lingers on the tastbud for a while. A touch too much carbonation as it took a while for me to pour due to being heady. Bigger beer than I planned on my normal drink free tuesday but now I need to go and find another beer. Enjoyed it

Bahhh you broke it!

• jyo- definitely a session ale. Balanced toward a nice maltiness, but enough hopping to keep me very interested. Mine was prefectly carbonated. I could drink this by the gallon.
  • Ned - I liked this, ideal summer beer
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • Ned - As above reviews I'm afraid
  • Dent - these need more time to condition IMO - if you have bottles in the fridge, put them on the shelf!
  • Ned - mine was not very carbonated, with little head, but the chocolate flavour was great, and just when I was expecting some roasted grain flavour, some smooth vanilla kicked in, nice!!
  • Ned - loved it, first glass was too cold, only got the hop flavour (which was great though), once it warmed up the malts really came through
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

Thanks for putting up some reviews. I'm disappointed in the swappers who remain silent - you know who you are!

• Neander - Pours easy with a nice head, off cream colour but dissipates quickly, a tad under carbonated. Nice roasty flavours with a touch of chocolate coming through, I would like this with a bit more carb (Is it just or is there a shitty batch of caps lately as I have had a few beers go flat on me) and it would be very good. Very close to my own Oatmeal stout.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • Neander - Loved this beer. Didnt take notes at the time but I was impressed with the likeness of the clone. Would be happy to sit back and drain a keg.
  • Ned - mine was not very carbonated, with little head, but the chocolate flavour was great, and just when I was expecting some roasted grain flavour, some smooth vanilla kicked in, nice!!
  • Neander - I drank this last week at a tasting. We all enjoyed the chocolate flavours but didnt really get any vanialla. Should of held out a bit longer.
  • Ned - loved it, first glass was too cold, only got the hop flavour (which was great though), once it warmed up the malts really came through
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

Thanks for putting up some reviews. I'm disappointed in the swappers who remain silent - you know who you are!

• Neander - Pours easy with a nice head, off cream colour but dissipates quickly, a tad lightly carbonated. Nice roasty flavours with a touch of chocolate coming through, I like this with a bit more carb (Is it just or is there a shitty batch of caps lately as I have had a few beers go flat on me) and it would be very good. Very close to my own Oatmeal stout.
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt] Deep rich colour and head retention is great. This finishes really dry with a mouth puckering astringency and, unfortunately, I think there is an infection here. I think this would have had a good flavour, but the body and hop character has been chewed up due to the bugs. [/SIZE]
  • Neander - Loved this beer. Didnt take notes at the time but I was impressed with the likeness of the clone. Would be happy to sit back and drain a keg.
  • Neander - I drank this last week at a tasting. We all enjoyed the chocolate flavours but didnt really get any vanialla. Should of held out a bit longer.
  • jyo- This is a really nice beer. Great aroma and some citrus and sherbet lollies in the finish. I’d like to see a recipe for this one. Wondering about the yeast?- it gives some low esters but stirred up easily. Thoroughly enjoyed this after a rough Friday at work.
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

Nev's Belgain Amber Ale

Pours very clear with a dark amber color. Small white head that dissipates quickly. My photos don't do the clarity any justice.

Caramel, alcohol and a touch of banana and apple? Belgians aren't my forte and having a hard time deconstructing this.

Sweet caramel, banana, spice. What I'm guessing are big yeast flavours I'm not great at explaining.

Enjoying it. Finding it's a sipping beer like the other amble ale. Perhaps me perception of ambers has changed.

Cheers, mate! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407508946.428490.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407508971.493898.jpg

JYO Oatmeal Stout

8HD_3183-001.JPG

I like this. A pretty gentle beer all around, not too full on in any direction. Has a different dark malt character to the beers I brew for whatever reason, but it is a good one whatever it is. Only thing I can fault it on is a tiny bit of green-beer flavour in the aftertaste, but maybe some longer conditioning will help that. A good stout.

Dent Baltic Porter

OGhVHtRl.jpg

Deep, rich chocolate, with a coffee flavour that could become a little cloying… but then the alcohol cuts through to thin things out and gives some balance. This is a complex beer. Clean yeast flavours. This is one of the biggest beers I have had, and I really enjoyed nursing the pint and a half over an hour or so. :chug:

Neanderthal's Black IPA-

HiWDcjul.jpg

jyo
Deep, rich chocolate, with a coffee flavour that could become a little cloying… but then the alcohol cuts through to thin things out and balance it all, and stops this from being overly sweet. Clean yeast flavours. This is one of the biggest beers I have had, and I really enjoyed nursing the pint and a half over an hour or so.
2. jyo- Oatmeal Stout- Bottle Conditioned for just over a month.
  • Neander - Pours easy with a nice head, off cream colour but dissipates quickly, a tad lightly carbonated. Nice roasty flavours with a touch of chocolate coming through, I like this with a bit more carb (Is it just or is there a shitty batch of caps lately as I have had a few beers go flat on me) and it would be very good. Very close to my own Oatmeal stout.
  • jyo [SIZE=11pt]light, easy drinking. I get a bit of honey dew melon and mandarine in flavour and aroma. This would get thrashed around here in warmer weather. Really nice, cheers.[/SIZE]
10. lanerigg - IPA
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt] Deep rich colour and head retention is great. This finishes really dry with a mouth puckering astringency and, unfortunately, I think there is an infection here. I think this would have had a good flavour, but the body and hop character has been chewed up due to the bugs. [/SIZE]
  • jyo- [SIZE=11pt]Balanced hopping rates. Carbonation pretty high and it climbed out the bottle. Could maybe do with a bit more body for me, as things seemed to be a bit thinned out in the middle. This may be the mineral taste danestead refers to. Maybe a higher mash temp or a little more crystal, but I enjoyed it. Cheers. [/SIZE]
  • jyo- This is a really nice beer. Great aroma and some citrus and sherbet lollies in the finish. I’d like to see a recipe for this one. Wondering about the yeast?- it gives some low esters but stirred up easily. Thoroughly enjoyed this after a rough Friday at work.
19. Jono- Oatmeal Stout
Jonos BarleyWine.

Back