2013 Melb Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kettle is 200Lt so boiling in that should be fine.
Not sure what will happen with my pickup in the kettle and all the hops. I think I should be fine though.

Are we happy with chilling and then cubing?

Is everyone happy with JW pale ale for the base? Or do we want something special. I will chuck the grain on my BB grain order.
I can also order the crystal through my grain book. What brand are we after?

Gents,

Even though i wont get there i have a heap of CTZ (columubus) i can offer for the brew. Not sure if it is enough for your full recipe but it will go close. If not enough i have heaps of Apollo and Nugget, both are columbus substitutes.

I went nuts bulk buying at one stage, not giving thought to the fact I dont brew enough to buy full pounds...so i am never going to use this stuff.

You are welcome to it...i will happily accept a bottle from one of the finished batches though...

Chill, cube, add yeast, take home.

Or do the traditional swap thing and NC but in that case, you'll want to work out something to do with the late hops.

Add 0 min hops to cube is what I was thinking.. Move 90 to 60 and the 45 to 20 or something, havnt run it through software yet, just thoughts,

A kind offer Grumpy.

:)

I dug up some inventory notes I had and I reckon I have the following you can use.

CTZ 13.1%AA - approx 125g
Nuggett 12.8%AA - approx 190g
Appolo 18.5% AA - approx 190g

(Ifigured the AA details might help with your planning)

From my reading Nugget and Appollo are substitutes for CTZ. Appollo is particularly recomended for bittering.

As I said - you guys are welcome to what ever you need - I am never going to use it all.

Ok, I am thinking
Simpsons pale for the crystal ( which is ~45L)
Bestmalz Carapils fir the caraplis (Do we need this, it was on the clone recipe Yob posted)
JW Pale ale for the base.

It is a bit if a mix of regions/brands but I was trying to match the recipe with what grain and grape have available.

Hey GP,
That's very generous of you!
I should be able to contribute some spare CTZ also - 100g at a guess (i'll have to check the freezer).

Grains wise, i have no clue on the significance of the differences, so i'll go with more experienced opinions. Happy to go with RB's suggestion (JW Pale will certainly shave a few pennies off the overall cost!).

I have no idea what a Pliny the Elder is - but I was just playing around putting those figures into the BIAB spreadsheet....

The 20l version comes in at about 180 IBUs......

Is that right?????

I am even more keen to donate my hops now - and enjoy the brewday vicariously thorugh you guys. Just please someone send me a bottle of the finished product to try.

I am interested in trying something that hoppy - I am imagining a delicious tasty rip your face of hoppy bitterness.

If you want the CTZ, Appollo and Nuggett just let me know - someone can either swing by and pick them up from me in Boronia, or I could drop them over to Yob at some stage.

Cubes:

RelaxedBrewer- 20L cube
Yob- 20lt cube
Grainer- 20 lt cube
Technobabble-2 x 10lt cube
djar007-20 lt cube
Pedleyr-20lt cube

Total: 120 l

Single batch Brewday name/amount

Malt
6kg Pale Mallt x 6 = 36kg (name/amount) Maybe buy 2 bags from the BB ?? for this and share the cost??
270g Light Crystal (45?) x 6 = 1600g (name/amount)
272g Carapils x 6 = 1632g (name/amount)
340g Dex x6 = 2.04kg (Yob 2040g)

Hops

Columbus 99g @ 90 x6 = 594g (name/amount)
Columbus 21g @ 45 x6 = 126g (name/amount)
Simcoe 28g @ 30 x6 = 168g Yob - 168
Centennial 28g @ 0 x6 = 168g Grainer - 168
Simcoe 71g @ 0 x6 = 426g Grainer - 100 / Yob - 326

A quick add up says we need 720g of Columbus/Tomahawk (other replacement) I think I have some Tomahawk (~90g), Nugget and Apollo stashed somewhere too if thats the weay we want to go?.. sounding like a bit of a basket case with too many subs happening though to my eye. (and no I cant get any Columbus from my regular supplier in time)

Dont forget that this also needs some dry hopping, not listed here for brewday clarity.

I have some bad news guys. I have been trying to work this out but I have just got my answer this morning. My settlement date has been pushed a week and I wont be settling until a couple of days before the swap. So to cut a long story short I am going to have to cancel the swap being at my place or at the least postpone it until after christmas. I still have my arm in cast and am trying to get sorted out so I can get back to work. On top of moving into the new house and all the other dramas I am up against I don't think I could host until a week or so after new year. I am very sorry for the late notice but I have just got the word from the conveyancer. Now I am going to have to re organise the removalists and everything else. Nightmare. I am more tha happy to host this if no one else can given the short notice, it will just have to be delayed a couple of weeks.

I have a sack of Briess Pale Malt I can put into the recipe too. Fresh from the last bb.

I am happy to host it. But I fly out on the 18th and back on the 25th. So its really bad timing. Once again I am very sorry.

Cubes:

RelaxedBrewer- 20L cube
Yob- 20lt cube
Grainer- 20 lt cube
djar007-20 lt cube
Pedleyr-20lt cube

Malt
6kg Pale Mallt x 6 = 36kg (name/amount) Relaxed Brewer
270g Light Crystal (45?) x 6 = 1600g (name/amount) Relaxed Brewer
272g Carapils x 6 = 1632g (name/amount) Relaxed Brewer

Hops

I would offer my place for the 14th but I don't really have any room for camping in my back yard.

Cubes:

RelaxedBrewer- 20L cube
Yob- 20lt cube
Grainer- 20 lt cube
djar007-20 lt cube
Pedleyr-20lt cube

Malt
6kg Pale Mallt x 6 = 36kg Relaxed Brewer
270g Light Crystal (45?) x 6 = 1600g Relaxed Brewer
272g Carapils x 6 = 1632g Relaxed Brewer

800g Acidulated (Yob 800g) ???

Hops

thinking we should also add some acidulated malt for a PH adjustment to this?

Completely understandable, there's no way you'd be able to settle and then host this.

As it happens anyway, my wedding anniversary is that weekend and there was a lot of tension at my house for me even considering going - the words "I can't believe you'd even ask" were uttered. I thought she had managed to move past it but I learned this past weekend that I was wrong on that account.. Long story short I wouldn't be able to do the 14th anyway (unless I turned up, said g'day and then left, which isn't my ideal). I can still contribute swap beers though (if that's still happening given that there are only 6 of us on the list...)

What alternatives do we have? I definitely cannot host, simply don't have the room unfortunately. Pretty busy time of year for a lot of people, is it that big a deal to put it off until the new year?

EDIT: Also if it goes ahead on a date other than the 14th, I'll pick up some of the hops.. Just need to source them. If it happens on the 14th cross me off the cube list (unless someone is prepared to collect a cube for me, in which case I'll still get the hops)

she cant or pump the tranny. That sounds bad.

Cubes:

RelaxedBrewer- 20L cube
Yob- 20lt cube
Grainer- 20 lt cube
djar007-20 lt cube
Pedleyr-20lt cube

Malt
6kg Pale Mallt x 6 = 36kg Relaxed Brewer
270g Light Crystal (45?) x 6 = 1600g Relaxed Brewer
272g Carapils x 6 = 1632g Relaxed Brewer

800g Acidulated (Yob 800g) ???

Hops

Columbus 99g @ 90 x6 = 594g djar007-594
Columbus 21g @ 45 x6 = 126g djar007-126

Im out as I will be at the BB.... during setup

You're probably right about the new year.

21st should be good for me - what about everyone else?

But the ingredient list has been completed and I'm not on it, so I'll feel like a tight arse. If there is anything else to be purchased for ingredients then put my name next to it. How did RelaxedBrewer end up with his name next to 39kg of grain??

Back