2011 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried some. The aroma was very barnyardy. Then when I put it in my mouth I was expecting it to be awful, but it was a pleasant tropical fruit fresh kinda taste.

You could be on a winner then Josh.

Wild Yeasts at my place result in phenolic bandaids!

hows everyone else going?

Very keen to be part of this years swap.

1. raven19
2. Quintrex - Lambic (if it's ready) or Oud Bruin
3. barls
4.stuster
5. Manticle
6. neonmeate - might make my brett brux-pils for this one
7. Kabooby
8. goatherder
9. beers
10. jonw
11. Josh
12. BrenosBrews - Probably something involving Brettanomyces. Maybe a Black Belgian IPA with some Brett Lambicus.
13. Florian

hows everyone else going?

Mine have just been sitting in glass demijohns for the last year and a bit. Still got pellicles.

Made within a couple of months of my last swap funk offering.

Smoke, vanilla and bourbon are ostensibly part of these ones but I have no idea whether the smoke will hold its end at all.

My small batch of funky schwartzbier has a solid pellicle atm.

Got a few others which are 'questionable'.

Brett Brux in a pLambic wont be ready for a while.

Sour mash berliner version 1 in a NC cube atm, hoping to ferment and sample very soon.

Still keen for this!

About to drop the backyard lambic onto some raspberries in a glass carboy.

It's tasting mildly funky so far, am hoping that will improve over time.

Hmmm I went through all the lambics down in the cellar the other day .... and 5 out of 6 are not tasting fantastic.

I think I'll probably end up submitting an oud bruin, or something nouveau funk stylie.

I tasted my flandersized kolsch and I'm pretty happy with that, I've kind of given up a little on the pain of making lambics. Too long for a little bit of hit and miss, I think I can make good funk beers that don't need as long to mature. Either that or I need to culture up the bugs separately and add them at the timepoints I like.

Looking forward to the next one, some great beers from the last one.

Q

Just updated my swap contribution to make my 4am entry from the other day look a bit more legit.

Will be brewing a Berliner Roggenweisse, so basically a BW with about 25% Rye, possibly a bit more. Will be brewing in about two weeks time, should still be early enough to get it drinkable for October. Time permitting I will also start a few backups and/or contributions for the next years, but haven't decided on the finer details yet. Thinking in the direction of a pumkin pils turned sour, but time will tell.

1. raven19
3. barls
4.stuster
5. Manticle
7. Kabooby
8. goatherder
9. beers
10. jonw
11. Josh
12. BrenosBrews - Probably something involving Brettanomyces. Maybe a Black Belgian IPA with some Brett Lambicus.
13. Florian - Berliner Roggenweisse

I have no doubt there will be dropouts again... so adding myself to the list.

I have plenty of bottled Flanders Red, Flanders Brown & several batches of Berliner Weisse so it will probably be one of those.

1. raven19
3. barls
4.stuster
5. Manticle
7. Kabooby
8. goatherder
9. beers
10. jonw
11. Josh
14. brendanos

did we ever end up deciding where we were sending these. im happy to be the point for sydney and send them where ever. ill use my mate again.
i think from memory it was about 50 bucks both ways.
im thinking the abbey that ive got ageing atm might be a goer if not the sour dark wheat with cherries. ether way ill have enough for the swap.

i'm a bit behind getting my brett-pils made. should still be able to do it and age it for four months or so but it might be one of those "drink later" bottles.

or

i could submit my jw lees harvest ale clone with brett b & c dregs from quintrex and last year's swap beers.

either way you'll get something

did we ever end up deciding where we were sending these. im happy to be the point for sydney and send them where ever. ill use my mate again.
i think from memory it was about 50 bucks both ways.
im thinking the abbey that ive got ageing atm might be a goer if not the sour dark wheat with cherries. ether way ill have enough for the swap.

I think if we alternate between NSW and Melbourne as the points as this is where the highest proportion of entries come from are.

So I reckon it's either Kabooby or yourself in the spotlight for this one :)

I think if we alternate between NSW and Melbourne as the points as this is where the highest proportion of entries come from are.

So I reckon it's either Kabooby or yourself in the spotlight for this one :)

I cant see Adelaide getting a hosting gig, even with us hosting Nationals this year... but in all seriousness I am happy to freight my bottles to Melbs or Syd. Cheers!

Random crazy idea...

Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney all meet in Wagga Wagga for a swap. Drive down one day, swap, then crawl down Bayliss St. Drive home next day.

1. raven19
3. barls
4.stuster
5. Manticle
7. Kabooby
8. goatherder - Baltic Porter with Brett Claussenii
9. beers
10. jonw
11. Josh
14. brendanos

Sour mash berliner version 1 in a NC cube atm, hoping to ferment and sample very soon.

This berliner is certainly different! Massive amounts of proteins in suspension due to a short boil I suspect. More of a sour ale than a funky one though.

Hoping my funked schwartz is getting close, must sample it next time I am at the in laws!

Have we finalised swap location and date?

I'll need to look at bottling soon if it's going to be October. Better get buying some more Orval (the bottles are perfect).

i just polished off the last of my orval bottles from you last night, manticle, it was a unique beer that one, lovely citrus flavours and warming maltiness.

unfortunately i havent had time to brew my brettpils and it really needs 6 months at least before bottling. so you will all be getting a brett C spiked jw lees harvest ale clone (SMASH maris otter and EKG, 12.5% ABV). may even blend some bottles with a little bit of kriek.

Latest posts

Back