2009 Nsw Xmas In July Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10. Grantw - Belgian Golden Strong 8.10%

I had this one after a few my own hb's and it acted like a brown sleeping tablet. I was out like a light in front of the telly.

:p Thanks Nifty glad you liked it.

11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone 6.8%.

Pours a bright red amber. Nice fluffy head that lasts and laces. Citrus US hop aroma with malt and a touch of fruity that seems to be from the yeast. Flavour is citrus and sweet caramel malt. Smooth bitterness with the balance towards the malt and hops. Medium full body. Medium carb. Creamy. Hides alc very well. I suspect the original is probably a bit more assertively bitter but this is seamless. Awesome beer. Thanks Ben.

Cheers
Andrew.

Have you posted the recipe yet ?

It's the standard Duvel Clone lots of Pilsener Malt and sugar. The yeast does all of the work. ;)

Start the fermentation cool -18-20c for the first few days then let it rip, this guy hit 27c at its hottest. Very important to have the appropriate sized starter so you avoid the hot alcohol and get the desired attenuation, this batch used a 2l starter from a fresh smack pack of WY1388.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Duvel Clone
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.11 kg Bohemian Pilsener (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.67 %
64.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (90 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
1.16 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.79 kg Cane Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 13.33 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.11 kg

Cheers

grant

Thanks for posting, Grant.

How the hell did you measure 1.16 whirlfloc tablets? :D

Seriously though, Im in awe of the complexity you achieved with such a simple rec. I would have thought there was more to it than that.

Cheers
Andrew.

It's the standard Duvel Clone lots of Pilsener Malt and sugar. The yeast does all of the work. ;)

Start the fermentation cool -18-20c for the first few days then let it rip, this guy hit 27c at its hottest. Very important to have the appropriate sized starter so you avoid the hot alcohol and get the desired attenuation, this batch used a 2l starter from a fresh smack pack of WY1388.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Duvel Clone
Brewer: Grant
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.11 kg Bohemian Pilsener (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.67 %
64.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (90 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
1.16 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.79 kg Cane Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 13.33 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.11 kg

Cheers

grant

Thanks for posting, Grant.

How the hell did you measure 1.16 whirlfloc tablets? :D

Seriously though, Im in awe of the complexity you achieved with such a simple rec. I would have thought there was more to it than that.

Cheers
Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, but really it's all down to the yeast. I just pitch and wait till they finish.

Doesn't everyone use whirlfloc shavings? :p

8. Cortez The Killer - Haggis For Breakfast - Scottish 80/- - 4.8%

This is my first Scottish 80, so I have nothing other than secondary impressions to go off.

The aroma is very clean and restrained, a little yeast vibe, almost lagery with the smell of MO and a faint roast grain.

Distinct biscuitty nutty UK ale malt malt (MO) flavour, very nutty like i have just chewed and swallowed cashews. Faint taste of UK hops in there, becoming more evident as I look for it and think about it. I shouldn't have looked at your recipe halfway through tasting, it is a bit of a spoiler.

I have to be honest that I'd tone both the bitterness and carbonation down a touch, but this is really a great beer Cortez. It is very clean and showcases the malt well. Thank you.

9. Thommo - Belgian Ale

Pours with a massive white creamy head which slowly dissipates. Amber in appearance, slightly hazy. A heap of belgian phenolics on the nose. Fruity, pears, a hint of citrus and lots of spice. Some malt. Altogether it's very appealing.

Flavour not as intense as the nose would suggest. Medium body, slightly dry. Low bitterness. Very smooth. Subtle belgian phenolics - pears. Nice malt sweetness coming through. Peppery notes. Extremely easy drinking, finding a sweet spot between belgian goodness and sessionability.

A great beer!

Cheers

12. Stuster - Southern English Brown, 4.2%

Hey Stu, no problems with this beer, it tasted ok to me. I thought it was a nice drop.

cheers

nifty

Two great beers last night for a early week calibration session, no tasting notes made but beers are definitely deserving praise:

9. Thommo - Belgian Ale, WLP550 (I think).
Great yeast characters, dry body and carbonation. I found it a little hoppy because I would like the yeast to come through more, but it is just personal preference. A very drinkable beer that I would be happy to have a lot more of. Cheers Thommo!

11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone 6.8%
Fricken awesome hops on the nose, lots of sweet orange and mandarine type citrus. Very balanced, drinkable and highly enjoyable. Thank you Insight, this was fun.

Fricken awesome hops on the nose, lots of sweet orange and mandarine type citrus. Very balanced, drinkable and highly enjoyable. Thank you Insight, this was fun.

I'll second what Bizier said above, I too had this beer last and it was a beautiful beer, most enjoyable.

cheers

nifty

1. Josh - Oktoberfest

Pours a deep gold, decent white head which persists and laces the glass. Just a touch off being completely clear. Lots of rich malt on the nose. Nice lager notes.

Smooth, creamy malty flavour upfront. Finishes medium dry. Lovely chewy maltiness to it. Good bitterness to balance the malt. Clean.

Great rich malty beer. A most awesome oktoberfest. Very smooth and creamy. Great malt complexity. Really enjoyed this one

Cheers
A most awesome review Cortez. Pretty much what I was aiming for. This beer was entered in the NSW Comp too.

I cheekily said don't drink until September cos I'll be in Munich, but if you're thirsty, feel free to stick mine in the fridge now.

I'll second what Bizier said above, I too had this beer last and it was a beautiful beer, most enjoyable.

cheers

nifty

Wow, x3 awesome beer mate, very impressed.

Such complexity, you wouldn't know it was 6.8%, well hidden, great flavour.

I reckon the best compliment can be another brewers willingness to brew your beer, so i'd love a copy of the recipe, understandable if its a secret.

I've had a few of thee beers, and they've all been great. Been a bit slack on providing feedback, so here goes.

3. Muggus - Imonab Oat Brown Ale. It's a while since I had this one, but I remember it being drier than I'd expected. Drank easily and thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Muggus.

4. Fatgodzilla - Kolsch - I had an unfortunate bottle/toe collision accident with this, which resulted in beer all over my shed floor (but cap still on bottle :huh:) Fortunately I discovered that I had scored two of them. I really enjoyed this - malty yet light, just the right carbonation. Thanks Fats.

5. Gulpa - US Amber Ale. Again, it's a while since I had this one. I remember it poured quite gold, with nice american hops. I enjoyed it. Thanks Gulpa.

7. Bizier - Ming's Myrceness. Big bitterness here, as you'd expect. Well balanced with the malt, and pleasant hops up front. Thanks Bizier.

11. Insight - AIPA, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone. I have to agree with others' comments on this one. i really enjoyed it - it's really well balanced. I think all the Rye beers I've had have been brewed by you, Ben! I've enjoyed every one of them. This was a cracker. Thanks.

12. Stuster - Southern English Brown. managed to score two of these as well, and they were both good. Good body, nice balance. Enjoyed it. Thanks Stuster.

Cheers,

Jon

Wow, x3 awesome beer mate, very impressed.

Such complexity, you wouldn't know it was 6.8%, well hidden, great flavour.

I reckon the best compliment can be another brewers willingness to brew your beer, so i'd love a copy of the recipe, understandable if its a secret.

There's no secrets in brewing surely? The recipe was one from the excellent Mike McDole:

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/SN_Celebrati..._2nd_round.html

I replaced the Chinook with Galena, because Chinook is just not my thing. Other than that, its as stated in the recipe with some gypsum thrown in to harden up the very soft Prospect water. Glad you and others enjoyed the beer :icon_cheers:

15. Syd_03- ESB around 6%

Poured a deep rich dark copper colour, good head and carb.

When I first tasted this beer straight out of the fridge it had, to my taste, a bit of a hot alcohol flavour, but when it warmed up it turned into a different beer.

Comments are not very descriptive, but I enjoyed the beer more once it warmed up a bit.

cheers

nifty

No. 2 Retsamhsam's Dopplebock

This is my first ever dopplebock so I only have the BJCP guide to go by, but wow, what a great beer! Crisp almost neutral aroma,then malty sweet and complex dark fruit flavours emerging in a warming glass, some yeast notes then a goldenhoney like finish. This is a revelation, the dark side of the lager, and it is delicious.

Thanks Damien. Lovin it.

cheers

grant

15. Syd_03- ESB around 6%

Poured a deep rich dark copper colour, good head and carb.

When I first tasted this beer straight out of the fridge it had, to my taste, a bit of a hot alcohol flavour, but when it warmed up it turned into a different beer.

Comments are not very descriptive, but I enjoyed the beer more once it warmed up a bit.

cheers

nifty

Cheers Nifty, sorry about the hot alcohol, I didn't taste this myself. Not sure where it came from.

You are right though, much better beer when it warms to around 6-10 degrees.
Glad you were able to enjoy it more then.

Thanks for the reviews Grant/Cortez, Sounds like it is going down well..

Latest posts

Back