2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Tasting the swap beers before the swap, I tested one of my Brown Ales last week and I've discovered a) I'm rubbish at bottling and B) I'm very excitable about how much priming sugar you really can jam in there.
As a result the batch is somewhat over carbed. Several days of running in ever decreasing circles and freaking out have brought me the following cunning plan.
Chill the bastards right down release pressure and recap. Several have already been done.... Seems to be working..... The end result i expect will be totally random carbonation. It'll be like an hilarious lucky dip with beers ranging from over carbed and gushing to flat and potentially oxidized beer... On the up side it'll be ready to drink on swap day as it's been in the bottle for well over a month now so best drink soon and have a jug standing by to poor into and possibly an umbrella........

On the up side - I put rolled oats in which i toasted in the oven first which does indeed seem to come out in the finished beer!

Are we talking bottle bomb territory?

I imagine the IBU's will be a little concerned with possible exploding bottles in the back of the car on the way back down

Cheers

Flak Jackets and helmets at the ready !!

We'll put that one in the esky on the way home !

No Bombs, more likely flat by the time i've finished with them. On the other hand, maybe flack jackets aren't such a bad idea.... ;)

With a week to go, I thought I'd take the baton from Fatgodzilla and do some hassling. :D

For those who haven't put any info in the wiki article here on what you're making and if you're attending. So Retsamhsam, Les, Beerslayer and Homebrewworld. And for the last two there, since you missed the last swap ;) it'd be good not to miss this one or more drastic action may need to be taken. :rolleyes:

Matt N AJ, sounds scary. I hope you are going to sort out your bottles on the day and/or provide everyone with full protective gear. :p

got one case already thanks dk will let you know how it goes

With a week to go, I thought I'd take the baton from Fatgodzilla and do some hassling. :D

robby.jpg

And when Stuster gets into his hassling mood, you better be very very careful !!

Matt N AJ, sounds scary. I hope you are going to sort out your bottles on the day and/or provide everyone with full protective gear. :p

BombSquad1.jpg

I'm ready !

On a more casual note, the American Brown Wheat is now bottled and tastes fine from the fermenter (ie NO BANDAIDS !) Am greatly relieved. Sorry guys, no Chimay from me !

dropped my entry off yesterday along with gear for the braggot brew. looking forward to catching up with everyone - even though I'll be a bit late.

just to confirm ive got 4 cases here, 3 others and mine.

the wiki thing is new to me, but not so new that I can't deal with it.

Wiki updated with my details. At this stage, I'm caring for my kids this weekend while the Dragon attends her Chrissy party with her new bloke. My "work do" was last weekend, straight after the HAG comp, which made the day worthwhile.

This is my first go at this style, yet the prelim results are quite good.
I would stress to keep the beer coolish for the 4 weeks, or you'll end up with aceto-beer, which is often the result of a too-warm weizen ferment. Warner mentions this in the Weizen style book, and it appears to happen regardless of cleanliness in a homebrew situation.

This beer is still fermenting, so the result will be fresh and the yeast should be good to harvest. The ferment is at the recommended 21C, and as I mentioned, the results seem to be quite refreshing. I hope you guys enjoy it, and I hope not to be proven a bad brewer (in this case/case swap).

Beerz-on
Les

............. and I hope not to be proven a bad brewer (in this case/case swap).
Beerz-on Les

You've runs on the board Les. You aint a bad brewer ! Remember though that even Bradman scored a duck !

Okay, only two people not confirming they're still in the swap. Come on Beerslayer & Homebrewworld - you in or not ?

With 16 or so attending plus a few extras, we need to organise a little catering.

Barls has suggested the butcher just down the road is good, so if anyone wants to buy fresh on the day he's there. What else do we need. Salads ? Cheese & bickies ? Bread ? Do you need any beer glasses ? How many chairs do you have / need ?

Barls, what do you and the missus want people to bring. Remember, you really shouldn't supply anything !

Any case swap virgins, bring a few beers for people to sample. And keep an eye open and see if you can supply anything.

Last suggestion for the virgins - have a big breakfast. Plan your travel. And no drink driving home ! Responsible drinking only ! (says he who is being chaffeured this time !!!!)

OK guys, bottled my first run and my backup last night in a mammoth bottling effort (60 odd bottles) and I am happy to say that they are both nice beers (IMHO). But, I am left with a dilemma of what to submit. The first choice offering is a simple lager that was supposed to be an easy drinker for those hot summer days that are sure to some but with a bit of bitterness on the finish for just a bit of bite.

Recipe 1 briefly is Wey pilsener malt with a bit of munich, german noble hops to bitter and hallertauer for flavour, wyeast bohemian lager (2124). Low mash temp for drier finish.

OR

The backup is an irish red with MO ale malt, caraaroma, and a bit of RB and carafa 1 with fuggles & goldings to bitter. wyeast irish ale (1084).

My personal preference is for the backup beer but I think that's just because I have a leaning towards stouts, porters and darker beers in general.

Anybody else got a preference and want to push me in a direction? Part of me wants to stick with the lager because they're hard to get right and I'm keen for some criticism.

OK guys, bottled my first run and my backup last night in a mammoth bottling effort (60 odd bottles) and I am happy to say that they are both nice beers (IMHO). But, I am left with a dilemma of what to submit. The first choice offering is a simple lager that was supposed to be an easy drinker for those hot summer days that are sure to some but with a bit of bitterness on the finish for just a bit of bite.

Recipe 1 briefly is Wey pilsener malt with a bit of munich, german noble hops to bitter and hallertauer for flavour, wyeast bohemian lager (2124). Low mash temp for drier finish.

OR

The backup is an irish red with MO ale malt, caraaroma, and a bit of RB and carafa 1 with fuggles & goldings to bitter. wyeast irish ale (1084).

My personal preference is for the backup beer but I think that's just because I have a leaning towards stouts, porters and darker beers in general.

Anybody else got a preference and want to push me in a direction? Part of me wants to stick with the lager because they're hard to get right and I'm keen for some criticism.

Neither beer figure in the overall caseswap, so either would be acceptable. Both sound great anyway ! Submit the lager so you can get the feedback you need, save the irish to mature a little and put it in the next (if we ever have one) IBU swap. Besides, your last swap was a dark beer. Come out of the dark into the light !!!

Okay, only two people not confirming they're still in the swap. Come on Beerslayer & Homebrewworld - you in or not ?

Well, I spoke to homebrewworld and he is definitely still in and will post all the details of his entry tomorrow. He also said Beerslayer is in. So it seems we're all in this time. Looking forward to getting stuck into them next week. :icon_drunk:

But, I am left with a dilemma of what to submit.
Sounds like me!

I have either a weizenbock or NZ-style golden ale.
Did a taste off last night, both nice but two very different beers.
After much deliberation, and two beers, I went with my original choice of the weizenbock.
Figured I haven't submitted a 'yeast-driven' style of beer in one of these cases and there isn't any other weizenbocks on the list.
Plus its always good to get feedback from you guys!

And that means I keep golden ale as my summer quaffer! :D

Sounds like me!

I have either a weizenbock or NZ-style golden ale.
Did a taste off last night, both nice but two very different beers.
After much deliberation, and two beers, I went with my original choice of the weizenbock.
Figured I haven't submitted a 'yeast-driven' style of beer in one of these cases and there isn't any other weizenbocks on the list.
Plus its always good to get feedback from you guys!

And that means I keep golden ale as my summer quaffer! :D

That's excellent news Muggus. Now, remember I'm going to slip you a bottle of my whyzenbock just for fun.
I drank one on the weekend and it gently put me to sleep -- in the nicest way possible way.

cheers

grant

Hi all,

Yes i am in 100% ! and i have an 'American Pale with a smack of Cascade', i have called this one 'Baracs Obama'

I spoke to Beerslayer today and he is also good to go (not sure what style?).
Look forward to tasting the fruits of our collective labour.

I will check out this wikki thang now.

Cheers

Good stuff, Garry. The wiki is now called Articles actually and the NSW Case one is here.

Muggus, I'd say a Golden Ale is a better quaffer than a Weizenbock. :lol:

All your Weizenbock is belong to us! :super: :chug:

Whyzenbock? Is that with rye as well, Grant?

Latest posts

Back