2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got there about 5 after 11 and it was the start of the flood. within about half anhour we had 28 cases assembled ready for swapping. Half an hour later and the deed was done, painless. Was really good to meet some more names from the forum, it was a pleasure to have all your company for a few hours.

Big cheers to Barls and his better half for giving us a place to make this happen and their extended hospitality with drinks and food etc, much appreciated. Big thanks to the head brewers Craig and Croz, would have loved to be able to stick around to see the nd result but my better half has her Christmas function tonight, so I had to run. Look forward to putting it down and tasting it some time in the future.

Big cheers also to our celebrity chef, Mr Fatz, and all the other folks who bought along some tasty treats, the food was great! Also thanks to those whose beers I managed to have a sip of, really liked the Belgian Golden, yummo...

Anyway great day all in all, was great to be a part of it... :D

By the way, all beers made the the trip along F3 battlefield safe and sound, no bottle bombs in the 3 cases I collected.

i would like to point out that it was good fun having you all over. apart from the numerous questions about what im feeding my hops( just kidding)
but seriously its a small child every 3 weeks. :p :p
there is a lot of beers that have been left for me. the brew day went well. thanks craig and croz for helping me out.

You had Hops growing there!!!? Dammit! I didn't even notice!! Now I'm even MORE sorry i had to leave so soon. Thanks for having us all over though. I was only 2 hours late to work... Lucky there was plenty for everyone to do without me ;)

As you all may have read earlier in the thread I over carbed mine and AJ's brown ale in a fit of excitement. This was remedied by slowly releasing presure till I could re-cap them all during the week. This could mean 2 things. a) I have given you all flat beer or B) I have given you all flat and infected beer. Drink it sooner rather than later, it's been in the bottle for more than 8 weeks now so it should be good to go.

hopefully nothing bad comes of this... :ph34r:

Well the IBUs made it back to the gong in one piece after a really excellent day. Thanks again to Barls for hosting and sharing some of his exotic collection.

cheers

grant

the look on fats face when i poured the raspberry cyser in his glass was priceless.

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank Barls for hosting yesterday!! It was a good day with plenty of good beer being handed around, the beetroot/chilli jam also deserves

Just thought i might sound out a word of warning for those who didn't attend about Disco Stu's Dunkleweizen (number 7 on the cap) unfortunately for me it exploded in my car during lunch <_< .. (by the time I returned to the car the beer had evaporated and i was left with nothing but brown shattered glass and a funky smell in my car :icon_vomit: ) Not pointing the finger, just wouldn't want anyone else to miss out :icon_cheers:

In light of this i would suggest putting these ones in the fridge when you get the chance, and like Stu said 'pour with care'.

Being my first case swap i am wondering what the ettiquette is on posting tasting notes, is this done in a different thread or not done at all??

Oh and Barls you might want to hit the fermenter we were using to rinse our glasses with a double shot of star san after my son was playing in it, who knows where his hands have been :D

the fermentor is soaking with caustic as the little dg decided its was a good place to sleep after it was tipped on its side last night.
at least the little guy was enjoying himself and i know i wasnt the only one looking at it and thinking that was probably the smartest thing wetting all his clothes especially on the warm day we had.
the tasting notes normally go in a separate thread which hasnt been started yet. feel free to start it though.
cant wait to see the pics that were taken during the day.

Pictures

IMG_7437__Custom_.JPG

IMG_7438__Custom_.JPG

IMG_7439__Custom_.JPG

IMG_7440__Custom_.JPG

the look on fats face when i poured the raspberry cyser in his glass was priceless.

:icon_vomit: :icon_vomit:

I don't know what I looked like them, but this is me at 11pm that night. Afet 3 days on the piss, I was a little tired

Ian_resized.jpg

Probably a good way to end this thread by saying the following

1. Everyone go to the Articles and update the beer details, especially whether the beers are drinkable now or need some further cellaring. This is important as most people will print this off and stick on the fridge so they can have ready access to the swap. Do it NOW please.

2. Post your comments on the new Case Swap taste thread, not here.

3. If you get enough positive comments, post your processes to the Recipe section. If the comments will be negative, such as what mine will be in relation to Barl's raspberry beer, regardless what it tastes like, do it tackfully. Opinions such as " Any man who purposely puts fruit into beer is a ^@)*(&^%^@#(*&%@#@ poor chappy." are best not aired. Make your comment as positive as possible, such as "Barls, your raspberry beer is a^@)*(&^%^@#(*&%@#@ poor excuse for a case swap entry , but I did enjoy the tour of your garden"

My photos of the day will be soon in the appropriate place here on AHB.

I thank you all for allowing me to be the case swap beer nazi on this occasion. In the end, results justify the means.

An absolute pleasure on all accounts. Thanks Barls for being a killer host.

As my first meet, I can tell anyone else to participate in any such activities, even in Fatgodzilla names you "virgin" for the day.

I promise that the next time you see my ugly mug, it will be accompanied by my beer.

Dan

Really enjoyed Muggus's beers with NZ hops
Thanks alot! Makes me feel a bit sad that I chose NOT to submit the NZ Golden Ale for the swap. But I like to live dangerously...

Once again many many thanks to Barls for being the hostest with the mostest, in more ways than one! All of those crazy brews you have at your disposal, really makes me regret driving!
Also a biggup to Redbeard, and Crozdog, for making the braggot happen. If the one we tried on the day is anything to go by, we should be in for something very special.
Great to see some old and new faces, and talk (and drink) beer! Can't wait to get stuck into them.

Cheers
Mike

Firstly thanks to Barls for hosting the day and everyone who participated. It was great to meet some of you and get the opportunity to try other brewer's creations. It was a pity I had to leave early on the day.

My sincere apologies to Ret and anyone who received a bottle bomb, I don't know if any others have has their go off. The batch was bottled on 5Oct and has been sitting in my garage for 2 months and none had gone off.

The 2 sample I tried seemed a little over carbed and required care with pouring but I didn't think they were into bomb territory, I can only assume getting stirred up in the car trip combined with the heat of the day. :unsure: I primed based on calcs from Beersmith to 2.6vols which is on the lower end of the style (2.5-2.9)

Regards

Stuart

Hey Stu,

I have had similar over carbing issues using beersmith's calculations. What i worked out was that I am producing less finished beer than i'm telling beersmith about. I've since taken to checking how much is in the fermenter minus trub/yeast/etc... piled up on the bottom on bottling day and updating that as the batch size. That, along with the fact that i've started kegging seems to have fixed my over carbonation problems.

Hope that helps,

Matt

thanks all for the comments, it was a pleasure to have you all.
i know that most of you introduced yourselves and some even left me a bottle of beer. i even got one bottle of honey which has since been put in a beer. im sorry i cant remember who it was, but im sure that you will make yourself known so i can try to get at least one of the bottles to you.

also those that i still have your cases. can you contact me t arrange your pick up times

Latest posts

Back